Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old January 20, 2011   #76
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

MJ,

I've been adding the Roots Excelurator at half strength for the past month on all plants. Hard to tell what growth would have been without it, but I am beginning to think it is not hype. I will definitely use it on my outdoor Spring plantings.

I've just set the oscillating fan up 2 days ago, so this should strengthen the plants ad well as the seedlings in the trays.

Next Season I am definitely going to use ONLY Dwarf plants, as varieties such as Dona simply grow too tall.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2011   #77
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Ray, New Big Dwarf has performed very well for me several seasons in a row outdoors. I dont see why it wouldn't do well indoors aswell and its a great tasting pink variety too. It grows to about 2-2 1/2 feet max in height. Here is a close up of two NBD plants from last year.

Damon
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2011   #78
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Damon, I will definitely grow NBD next Fall. Any other suggestions on good tasting varieties which grow no more than 3 feet tall at maturity? Semi-Determinate varieties would also be OK as I just need them to produce from January through about April.

I don't want small tasteless ones like Red Robin, Windowbox, etc. Volume is not that important - but a compact slicer with good taste is what I am after for the Winter crop.

Raybo
Old January 20, 2011   #79
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Raybo, What kind of bark fines do you use again? Can you buy it
at the big box stores like home depot? I have some sunshine, but
it is mix 1. Just like the pro-mix. I am using it for seed starting.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2011   #80
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

roper,

According to the Premier folks who make Pro-Mix BRK, a typical particle size of no larger than 1/2" is ideal for SWC applications. Here is a photo:

At Home Depot (out here in the West) it is called "Decorative Groundcover Bark" about $4.00 for a 2 cubic ft. bag:

If you can't find it, (and need relatively small quantities), Reptile Bark at pet stores will work. Call around for bulk pricing.

p.s. For the Sunshine Mix #1, I would either save it for seed starting and buy their #4 Mix, or supplement the #1 Mix with additional large particle Perlite. I just bought four 3.8 cu. ft. bales of the Sunshine #4 Mix today for $27.95 per bale.

Raybo

Last edited by rnewste; January 20, 2011 at 09:15 PM.
Old January 20, 2011   #81
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Oh yes, I have seen that at home depot. I have about 7 earthboxes.
I usually buy miracle grow potting soil and add extra vermiculite. The
mulch will help stretch it out a little more. It can be expensive buying
all that potting soil. My peppers did great in the earthboxes last summer.
Old January 20, 2011   #82
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

roper,

You may want to evaluate using Perlite instead of Vermiculite, as Perlite keeps the Grow Media more aerated than Vermiculite. In a SWC, aeration is a key essential for success.

Here is an excerpt from a Paper on the Premier website:

"""The process of aeration is one of the most important factors of productivity. Plants absorb oxygen (O2) and release carbon dioxide (CO2) during the respiration process. "Respiring" roots use the sugars made during photosynthesis to provide the energy necessary to drive mineral salt absorption. For most plants, internal transfer of oxygen from the leaves and stems to the roots is too slow to supply enough oxygen to the roots. In order to have good plant growth, the growing media needs to be "aerated", meaning that air exchange between the growing medium and
atmosphere has to provide the plant roots with sufficient oxygen and to remove excess carbon dioxide from the root zone.”””

Raybo
Old January 20, 2011   #83
dokutaaguriin
Tomatovillian™

Hi Raybo,
So using the garbage bag (plastic) cover is not such a good idea based on Premier's advice. Bark mix would be a better alternative?

Jeff
dokutaaguriin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2011   #84
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Jeff,

I think we are mixing two independent variables here. The bark fines aid aeration, according to the Premier folks. The plastic mulch helps reduce surface evaporation from the top of SWC units. Two separate dynamics.

Raybo
Old January 21, 2011   #85
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Perlite is a hard thing for me to find in bulk. I was looking for
course vermiculite or perlite but all I could find in bulk was
agicultural vermiculite. I will keep my eyes open in case I
ever come across some.

Thanks

Linda
Old January 21, 2011   #86
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Linda,

You can get Perlite at any full service Nursery. Here is what the bag looks like out here in the West:

If you can't find it there, Lowes carries small bags under the Miracle-Gro brand. Also, all Hydroponics Shops carry it, but in larger 4 cu. ft. bags.

Raybo
Old January 22, 2011   #87
dokutaaguriin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post
Thanks Damon, I will definitely grow NBD next Fall. Any other suggestions on good tasting varieties which grow no more than 3 feet tall at maturity? Semi-Determinate varieties would also be OK as I just need them to produce from January through about April.

I don't want small tasteless ones like Red Robin, Windowbox, etc. Volume is not that important - but a compact slicer with good taste is what I am after for the Winter crop.

Raybo
You should try Mano for a tasty, very early, compact dwarf red tomato.

Jeff
(If you need some seeds please PM me.)
dokutaaguriin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2011   #88
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Jeff,

Thanks for your offer of Mano seeds. I am putting together a list of 12 dwarf type Intermediates that I will grow over the Winter 2011 / 12. Remy's Sample Seed Shop has about 8 that I will be purchasing for my InnTainers, in addition to your Mano.

Raybo
Old January 23, 2011   #89
Heidelberg
Tomatovillian™

You are a badass...
Heidelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2011   #90
Heidelberg
Tomatovillian™

This is fully awesome.. Yeah I meant to post on your indoor setup. Don't know how it keeps getting on this thread. Anyways.
Heidelberg is offline   Reply With Quote