Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 31, 2009   #76
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by newatthiskat View Post
Feldon I am going to put the row cover on my nexr Christmas list. These plants have given me too many heart attacks the past few days
Kat
50 feet of row cover for $10-15 is a lot less expensive than ulcer medication.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2009   #77
newgardener_tx
Tomatovillian™

40F tonight and 32F tomorrow night with the wind? Did somebody say we should plant out on Easter? I am tired to cover the plants.

new gardener
newgardener_tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2009   #78
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Suze is looking at 29 or so tomorrow night , I sure hope all goes well for her and all of you fellow Texans that might be effected by this cold front. Best of Luck to all!
Old April 5, 2009   #79
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Well that just just takes the cake.
If it kills my plants then I will pretty much lose about everything.
Sorry Texas weather this year.
It still have a few in reserve but I'm pretty much sickened buy the weather this year.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2009   #80
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Texas weather this year is being VERY frustrating. My plants are a few days behind what they were last year.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2009   #81
duajones
Tomatovillian™

My plants are way behind the past two years overall.By April 30th last year my plants were loaded. I need some rain if I am going to get close to catching up.
Old April 5, 2009   #82
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

I'm unfolding extra boxes I leave in the garage for the ones that can't be reached with the row covering. Who'd have thought that I'd need blanket covers here in Texas?

Freeze Watch in the area!

Tonight: Clear, with a low around 38. North northwest wind between 15 and 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph.

Sounds like I'll need rocks on top of the cardboard boxes!

That will be enough for this year, Mother Nature!

~* Robin
Old April 5, 2009   #83
creister
Tomatovillian™

Predicted low of 31 tonight and tomorrow night. The ones already in the ground are wrapped in grow cloth, and the others are surrounded by gallon jugs of water and covered in row cloth and plastic.

I bought some 2.5 gallon bags and stretched them over the plants already in cages and row cloth for extra insurance.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2009   #84
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default reply

I only have enough protection for a few plants. Hopfully we will get through the next few days fine. I will be out of it so not much I can do at this point.
Kat
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2009   #85
fourtgn
Tomatovillian™

I never thought we would get to know each so well because of the crazy weather! This is a bit much. I got my garden covered and now I'm hoping for the best. I also put boxes over plants; many have gotten big enough now that the smaller containers won't fit over them.

fourtgn
fourtgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2009   #86
fourtgn
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by creister View Post

I bought some 2.5 gallon bags and stretched them over the plants already in cages and row cloth for extra insurance.
That's a really good idea. I'll remember it when the plants are a bit larger. For now, I just went around and cut where I had tied them to stakes and then put them under containers.
fourtgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2009   #87
mathfed
Tomatovillian™

I'm in SE New Mexico, about 30 minutes from the Texas border. We are supposed to get cold (around freezing) tonight and tomorrow night. I have 19 plants in the ground. I have CRW cages around all of the them. I wrapped the bottom halves of the cages with plastic, used grass clippings to mulch around the plants and the bottom of the cages, put a gallon jug filled with water in the bottom of each cage near the plant, and covered the top of each cage with a heavy sheet. Hopefully, it will do the trick. Weather looks fine after tomorrow night. The next two nights are going to be white-knucklers, though. Good luck, everyone!
mathfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2009   #88
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Whats row cover?At least that's what the "pros" said in the gardening section at Lowe's

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2009   #89
veggie babe
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like those Lowe's guys know a lot about gardening. (Worth see if this sounds Texas enough for you) ---you'll just think how I must feel,I'm unsure of what to do on a good day. I have carried my poor pitiful mater plants miles going from the yard to the house and or shop. I only have 23 in the ground but have them covered with pots and a brick on top. The wind has really been blowing today. I woke up from being dead asleep at 1100am (I work nights) worrying about protecting what I have already planted. Thanks to Kat I do have back ups and i still have some of my smaller plants left. Forget giving to the neighbors. Ha!!!!!!!

I guess we will see how this goes. If this isn't the "Easter Spell" my 83 year old Mother is talking about I think I might just cry.

neva
veggie babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2009   #90
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Whats row cover?At least that's what the "pros" said in the gardening section at Lowe's

Worth
I know it's Reemay; some people are too young to remember that.

Row covers, plant blankets, garden fabric that's what they seem to call these days.

Overheard by me in HD: "Oh, and what's the name of that stuff you put on the plants to cover them with when it gets too cold outside?"

~* Robin