Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 30, 2012   #76
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
Josefina is a cherry- Josephina is the misspelling.
So I goofed again, but I know you said you changed the name but was reading fast and didn't see what you changed it to.

I aspire to perfection, but my aspirations have not yet been met.
Old March 30, 2012   #77
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

This is what I have sown; keep in mind I really only have room for about 35 varieties if I stretch these out around the yard in different beds yet my list totals 62 . I still have 2 smaller raised beds to make and am at the point now of begging people to use their yards. Okay, my sister gave in and is allowing me to have a very steep hillside that she has no idea what to do with and I'm not about to go building terraces for her (not even for the tomatoes). We are still negotiating

There will be many more container plants than I originally planned I'm sure and now I have no idea where the peppers and eggplant will go...

Just a little obsessive don't you think?

4th of July Potato Leaf
Amazon Chocolate
Bear Creek
Belmonte
Berkley Tie Dye
Big Zac
Black Cherry
Black Sea Man
Bloody Butcher
Brads Black Heart
Brandywine Croatia
Break O Day
Brown and Black Boar
BTD
Bulgarian Rosa Riese
Captain Lucky
Chapman
Cherokee Purple
Chilo Della Garfagnana
Chocolate Stripes
Costoluto Genovese
Cuneo Giant Pear
Czechs Bush
Danko
Earls Faux
Farm Stand Pink
Franchi Red Pear
Gary O Sena
German Bush
Gildo Pietroboni
Goldmans Italian American
Goose Creek
Hoy
Ignegoli Gigante Liscio
Indian Stripe
Isis Candy
Jaunne Flamme
JD Special CTex
Kimberly
Kosovo
Legend
Little White Rabbit
Magnum
Matts Wild Cherry
Mule Team
Palmyras Northern Italian
Pink Boar
Provenzano
Ramapo
Red Penna
Russo Togetta
Sandul Muldovan
Sleeping Lady
Sophies Choice
Stump of the World
Sungold F1
Sweet Carneros Pink
Van Wert Ohio
Venetian Marketplace
Verde Claro
Vorlon
Little White Rabbit

Kath, your list looks so good I might have to make the drive over the river to come "taste test" this summer, lol. Actually, I'd love to see that many tomato plants in full gear!
Old March 31, 2012   #78
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Little White Rabbit

Lakelady, a wonderful looking list but again I'm going to comment about the above variety.

There is no variety called Little White Rabbit.

Joe Bratka bred Rabbit and named it Rabbit, and it's one of the several so called whites that he bred which include Snow White, Super Snow White and Ghost.

I think I asked before, maybe not you when I noted Little White Rabbit on someones list, where did you get seeds for it, via trade or a commercial source?

It soulds like something Lisa at Amishland would do as in renaming many varieties, but I could also be completely wrong.

In any case the correct variety name is Rabbit.

If it's again a lousy year here where I am how many of you living nearby are going to take pity on me and bring me some great tasting fruits?

I hope it doesn't get to that but if it does, it will be the third summer in a row with lousy weather and only perhaps 1/2 to 3/4 of my plants producing fruits. I'd have to go back to my data books to confirm that.

I wanted to send seeds for Mountain Magic F1 to Craig for a plant or two, b'c it has produced superbly in adverse weather and I like the taste, but for this season I sent him seeds for Jet Star F1 as a back up variety. I've grown that variety lots of times in the past and it too does well in adverse weather.

So good news that seed production for my new varieties each year is done elsewhere, in NC and IL. I'm so glad that Lee and Shoe in NC and Neil in IL are still hanging in there with me.
Old March 31, 2012   #79
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
So I goofed again, but I know you said you changed the name but was reading fast and didn't see what you changed it to.

I aspire to perfection, but my aspirations have not yet been met.
Hey, I'm a perpetual goof! Just wanted to avoid more confusion because we all assume your spellings are the correct ones.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2012   #80
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelady View Post
This is what I have sown; keep in mind I really only have room for about 35 varieties if I stretch these out around the yard in different beds yet my list totals 62 .
There will be many more container plants than I originally planned I'm sure and now I have no idea where the peppers and eggplant will go...

Just a little obsessive don't you think?

SIZE=3]Kath, your list looks so good I might have to make the drive over the river to come "taste test" this summer, lol. Actually, I'd love to see that many tomato plants in full gear![/SIZE]
I think lots of us grow more plants than we have room for- mishaps happen, so it's good to have some backups; and what if after you've planted out all you've grown you find you have extra room?

Peppers and eggplants do nicely in containers- just sayin'.

I don't look at it as being obsessive but rather impatience at the thought of how long it would take to try all these varieties if we grew a more "reasonable" number each year.

I'd love to have you visit! Perhaps Julia could make it on the same day and we taste some of our harvests and save some of the seeds?!
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2012   #81
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn you are right on for the source - this is copied from the Amishland description -

Quote:
LITTLE WHITE RABBIT TOMATO
- also called "White Rabbit Tomato." This just might be the sweetest name ever for the cutest tiny white tomato I have grown. These teensy babies were nearly exactly the same size as my "White Mexican Currant Tomato." They were about the size of large peas (3/4" or less). I would have called them a wild currant type by their size, but they are were actually developed by Joe Bratka of NJ. ........... more

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2012   #82
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

More great lists!

Carolyn,
Thanks for the Sarnowski Polish Plum history.

st3v3,
I love that avatar pic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktutt View Post
Mushroom basket is here: http://rareseeds.com/mushroom-basket-tomato.html

Muddy Waters is one of Tom Wagner's releases this year. He described it "Muddy black blue tomato with green flesh. Muddy blue stripes. Was one of my better candidates for The Searching for the Blue Zebra."
Thanks for the info. I have no clue how I missed Mushroom Basket when looking that their site.
And remember to let me know how the Muddy Waters does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tam91;264830
[FONT=Times New Roman
Now that I have a couple satellite gardens, I have gone crazy. Now... just what do people do with that many tomatoes?[/FONT]
Great list! I was going to say what Kath did, "Can, dry, freeze, eat at every meal, give lots away to family, friends, neighbors, local food pantries, senior citizen centers, etc."

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelRidin View Post
This year I am surrendering a good bit of my space to the quest for some good cherries.

Black Cherry
Matt's Wild Cherry
Sungold F1
Tomados des Comores
Super Snow White
Hawaiian Currant
Cerise Orange
You will be overflowing in cherries! It is a good idea though. You'll get a better sense of what you want. So when you ask for suggestions in the future you can give examples of what you like and don't like.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2012   #83
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, I was the one that had Little White Rabbit listed on the previous thread. I think I had decided that it was supposed to be just White Rabbit, but it is really just Rabbit?

Oh, what a mess! I've googled it and it is also listed at Tatiana's, Tomatofest, Marianna's, and a couple others as White Rabbit. There are several references to it as White Rabbit in forums and blogs, as well. I have only found one reference to it as Rabbit, in a forum on GardenWeb.

Obviously, I believe you as to the correct name. (You always amaze me with that memory of yours.) However, it does appear that the name has been corrupted at some point and White Rabbit is the one that people are using more often. I want to be correct so I will revert back to just Rabbit in my posts from now on, but I expect we will run into this again and again since it is being sold exclusively under the White Rabbit (and Little White Rabbit) name.
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2012   #84
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

Okay, so here's this year's list. More than some, less than others, but less than I really want of course! I'm not including all of the other veggies and herbs, just the nightshades.

Tomatoes

Dwarf Project
Zig Zag Wattle
Tasmanian Red
Waratah

Green
Aunt Ruby's German Green
Green Zebra

White
White Rabbit
White Zebra/Blonde Boar, depending on who you talk to. (I swear, this name thing is driving me crazy!)

Yellow
Yellow Trifele

Orange
KBX
Juanne Flamme

Red
Kibits Ukrainian (Already has tiny tomatoes!)
Rebecca Sebastian's Bull Bag
Hazelfield Farm
Amish Paste (saved seed)

Pink
German Johnson (saved seed)
De Barrao Pink
Hege German Pink

Purple/Black
Cherokee Purple (loved this last year)
Black Cherry

Bicolor
Striped Cavern
Orange Russian 117

Related
Green tomatillo
Aunt Molly's Ground Cherry

Hot Peppers
Jalepeno
Ancho
Cyklon
Fish
Red Hot Mystery Pepper

Sweet Pepper
Mini Chocolate Bell
Door Knob
Chocolate Bell
Marconi
Aconcagua
Sweet Banana

Eggplants
Ratnayake
Pingtung

I'm only growing one of most of these, pruned to one or two stems for space reasons. Most of the tomatoes, both of the eggplants, and three of the peppers are new to me. So this year promises to be full of surprises!

Last edited by livinonfaith; April 1, 2012 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Chasing a rabbit, or a white rabbit, IDK anymore!lol
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2012   #85
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I'm very bummed. I was selling extra plants and didn't realize I just sold my last Green Doctor's and Mexican Cocktail. I went to grab one of each to plant and , no more. Dang, I'm not going to get to try them until fall or possibly even spring.
I think it's way to late to start more plants right now, will have to be on my fall list, although I was planning to concentrate on dwarfs this fall, since they can be easily covered in frost warnings.
Oh well. Already had Matt's wild cherry, Sungold, Blush and Black Cherry planted. I guess that's plenty of cherries.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2012   #86
augiedog55
Tomatovillian™

i think theses are the ones i'm trying this yr.
druzba
eva purple ball
paul robeson
hawiian pineapple
green zebra
mortgage lifter
carmello op
kimberly
daniel
oscar lebanese
kellogsbreakfast
purple haze
dr. carolyn pink
brandywine red.
jd c tex special
black from tula
carbon green cherokee
franks red barn.
sungold
annas russian
mule team
black cherry
4th of july
big beef
and probably a couple more before its over
augiedog55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2012   #87
noinwi
Tomatovillian™

My list is extremely small this year, just a few each of these...

Maters:

Black Krim
Chocolate Cherry
Sunsugar F2(just to see what I get)
A 'mystery' pink from seed I saved from a medium sized pink slicer that turned up in a package of Persimmon seed a few years ago.

Peppers:

Early Jalapeno
Greygo(sweet cheese type)
Elephant Ear(Serbian large non-bell sweet...I haven't been able to find much info on it. I got the seeds a couple of years ago in a swap. This link I found recently has great photos but doesn't really discuss the pepper, just the use of it http://palachinkablog.com/ajvar/)

Also I'll be growing cocozelle and dark green zucchini, spacemaster cukes and a few flowers and herbs. And I planted some rhubarb last year which I'll be able to harvest this year.
noinwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2012   #88
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinonfaith View Post
Carolyn, I was the one that had Little White Rabbit listed on the previous thread. I think I had decided that it was supposed to be just White Rabbit, but it is really just Rabbit?

Oh, what a mess! I've googled it and it is also listed at Tatiana's, Tomatofest, Marianna's, and a couple others as White Rabbit. There are several references to it as White Rabbit in forums and blogs, as well. I have only found one reference to it as Rabbit, in a forum on GardenWeb.

Obviously, I believe you as to the correct name. (You always amaze me with that memory of yours.) However, it does appear that the name has been corrupted at some point and White Rabbit is the one that people are using more often. I want to be correct so I will revert back to just Rabbit in my posts from now on, but I expect we will run into this again and again since it is being sold exclusively under the White Rabbit (and Little White Rabbit) name.
My error since Joe changed the name from Rabbit to White Rabbit when he starting selling seeds for it, so it should be White Rabbit.

Dee, I told you so for I can spot a Lisa of Amishland name change from a great distance/
Old April 1, 2012   #89
svalli
Tomatovillian™

I have to be growing all tomatoes in containers and most will be in greenhouse. This limits how many varieties I can grow.
This years list will be:
Benewah
Black Cherry
Black Plum
Grandma Mary's Paste
Green Grape
Gregori's Altai
Grubs Mystery Green
Jaune Flammee
Kimberley
Neves Azorean Red
Ola Polka
Orange Russian 117
Pruden's Purple
Rosalita
Schellenberg's Favorite
Stupice
Sun Gold Hybrid
Yellow Brandywine, Platfoot

I started extra seeds of each plant and transplanted all sprouted seeds. Now I have 26 extra plants, which I have to try to find homes for.

I also started two Yellow Pears, but I may give both of them to MIL.

Sari
Old April 1, 2012   #90
noinwi
Tomatovillian™

Well, I did some more searching and found that the person I got the Elephant Ear seeds from is Velikipop(Alex)right here in Tomatoville! Thanks Alex, if you're still around, these are my favorite sweet peppers!
noinwi is offline   Reply With Quote