Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 17, 2011   #76
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
I started some Dwarf Beryl Beauty seeds for late crop patio containers, and they sprung up vigorously and show the potato leaf shape. I started them alongside several other dwarf varieties, and they are the second most aggressive so far. I also started the Mr. Snow dwarf, and they seem to be doing well. The old Sneezy line I got a few years ago still show the most dwarfed (squat) sprouts, if that means anything at this initial stage when the first true leaves are peeping out.

Me, running very late in Canada.. my babies are up, very good germination. Beryl Beauty clearly in the lead, Mr Snow who was sown a few days behind the others is almost as big as her.

I have never sown tomatoes as late as this before..needs must situation, so I am in there every day cheering them on.

Still waiting for the delivery from the last seller to get the remaining two varieties.

XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2011   #77
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Finally recived my last seeds just yesterday, I must be crazy but in the waiting pots they went, 4 weeks after the first ones which were late to start with. I guess this very late planting MAY bring some useful info toi the thread.

All my previousle sown ones are looking good, still under lights but almost ready to go into the greenhouse.

Never before have I fussed over seedlings like I have with these!!

I am reading every word posted and trying to plat catch up inb my head with all the info out there.

XX Jeannine
Old May 28, 2011   #78
tedln

My Mr. Snow, Emerald Giant, Beryl Beauty, and New Big Dwarf are now in excess of 30" tall with the Mr. Snow being slightly taller than the others. Emerald Giant took an early lead in height, but lost the title in the last week. All of the plants are well foliated with the Mr. Snow showing a little Septora on the lowest branches and leaves. I removed the infected leaves and gave all of them a shot of Daconil. I think it is under control and should remain under control with high daily temperatures and low humidity. All of the plants started blooming a couple of weeks ago and have begun setting small fruit. It seems kind of late in the season for blooming to start, but I'm pretty sure it is because I didn't get the seed planted until early March. All of my other varieties of open pollinated and hybrid plants started blooming and setting fruit as small seedlings. The dwarf plants put on a lot of growth before they started blooming. I'm hoping they will bloom and set through at least part of the hot summer that has arrived.

Ted
Old May 28, 2011   #79
geeboss
Tomatovillian™

tedin

I'd get a small 40% shade cloth and cover the dwarfs and see if that would extend your season.

George
geeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2011   #80
tedln

George,

I know that would help and I have the shade cloth. I'm growing the dwarf varieties this year just to see how they perform in normal conditions in my area. I want to see how well they do in direct sun. If they don't take the hot sun well and I grow more next year, I will probably use the shade cloth. Since I didn't get the seed and get it planted until March of this year, the dwarf plants are not really getting a fair test. I will start the seed in January for next years plants, and they will have a better chance to bloom early in the cooler weather.

Ted
Old May 29, 2011   #81
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

I have jusat noticed that Rosella Purple is very much smallet than all the others, is that normal please, XX Jeannine
Old May 30, 2011   #82
Duh_Vinci
Tomatovillian™

Few pictures of the dwarfs growing on the deck:

Tasmanian Chocolate

Emerald Giant

Mr. Snow

Rosella Purple (planted about 3 weeks later than others)

Never grown dwarfs before, I must admit, I'm greatly amused by the statue of these guys, those thick stems and the healthy thick look of the leafs and branches, and compact - I think I've found new favorites to grow on the deck!

No fruits yet on any (not that I can see), but all have flowers, and some look like they may have set fruit. Will see in few days...

Regards,
D
Duh_Vinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2011   #83
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

That is about right. Rosella Purple tends to be more of a "determine" dwarf (a bit more compact), whereas Mr Snow and Emerald Giant are clearly indeterminate dwarfs. For me, Tas Chocolate falls kind of in between.

They are indeed very amusing plants!
Old May 30, 2011   #84
jdmfish
Tomatovillian™

Very neat! I'd like to grow a few myself one day.

Is the flavor on the dwarfs, acceptable? I don't know very much about them at all, but I remember hearing that they produce pretty well, and are compact, but the flavor profile of most just isn't quite the same as "standard" tomatoes.

What's 'yalls take on flavor?
jdmfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2011   #85
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

That's been the aim of the project. Because we knew that a good flavored dwarf is possible (New Big Dwarf is really very good), we just went for it and used targeted (and some lucky) crosses to get size, color AND flavor into the compact growth habit.
Old May 30, 2011   #86
jdmfish
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctomatoman View Post
That's been the aim of the project. Because we knew that a good flavored dwarf is possible (New Big Dwarf is really very good), we just went for it and used targeted (and some lucky) crosses to get size, color AND flavor into the compact growth habit.

Ah. The two I was interested in most are the "new big dwarf", Tasmanian Chocolate and the Golden dwarf.

How's the flavor of the golden dwarf / Tasmanian chocolate?
Old May 30, 2011   #87
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Summertime Gold is one of the best flavored. Right up there with Rosella Purple.
Tasmanian Chocolate is very good tasting. Actually, most think it much
more flavorful than I do. Perhaps from 4 years of growing it out for
stabilization......

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2011   #88
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

If I were to give my 10 point rating scale for the nine released dwarfs so far, here is what it would be: (and it is important to remember that this is ratings from works in progress over various generations and selections)

Summertime Green - consistent - solid 8 - nearly equal to it's daddy, Green Giant
Dwarf Emerald Giant - a bit variable - 7-7.5, not quite as sweet as Summertime Green
Summertime Gold - consistent - 8 to 8.5 - nearly equivalent to Lillian's Yellow Heirloom
Tasmanian Chocolate - a bit variable - 6-7
Rosella Purple - recent selections consistent, solid 8 - nearly equivalent to Cherokee Purple at its best
Dwarf Jade Beauty - consistent - 7-7.5
Dwarf Beryl Beauty - consistent - 7.5
Dwarf Mr Snow - consistent - 8 - 8.5 - probably the best near-white tomato I've tasted
Dwarf Wild Fred - a bit variable - from 6.5 to 7.5

But I am growing the final selections (which are being sold) this year - all of us growing them will be able to make our own assessments - which of course are all going to be specific to our particular tastes, expectations, culture and growing season!
Old May 30, 2011   #89
jdmfish
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctomatoman View Post
If I were to give my 10 point rating scale for the nine released dwarfs so far, here is what it would be: (and it is important to remember that this is ratings from works in progress over various generations and selections)

Summertime Green - consistent - solid 8 - nearly equal to it's daddy, Green Giant
Dwarf Emerald Giant - a bit variable - 7-7.5, not quite as sweet as Summertime Green
Summertime Gold - consistent - 8 to 8.5 - nearly equivalent to Lillian's Yellow Heirloom
Tasmanian Chocolate - a bit variable - 6-7
Rosella Purple - recent selections consistent, solid 8 - nearly equivalent to Cherokee Purple at its best
Dwarf Jade Beauty - consistent - 7-7.5
Dwarf Beryl Beauty - consistent - 7.5
Dwarf Mr Snow - consistent - 8 - 8.5 - probably the best near-white tomato I've tasted
Dwarf Wild Fred - a bit variable - from 6.5 to 7.5

But I am growing the final selections (which are being sold) this year - all of us growing them will be able to make our own assessments - which of course are all going to be specific to our particular tastes, expectations, culture and growing season!

Wow, thanks for the reply! That's helpful.
Old May 31, 2011   #90
travis
Tomatovillian™

Notice for Craig: I got one stray seed in my tray of Dwarf Beryl Beauty, Victory Seed source. The stray seedling was regular leaf and did not appear to be a dwarf plant, so I culled it rather than grow it out to see what it was. All the other Beryls and Mr. Snows from same source are uniformly PL rugose and dwarf.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote