Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old March 24, 2011   #76
JackE
Tomatovillian™

In our case, moisture content is crucial and re-moistening the mix is a time-consuming hassle. Commercial potting mixes are usually "just right" for the rapid and efficient filling of containers.

The pot-filler works out of a 5 gal bucket of MG, which she keeps at least half full. She fills each small peat pot with one quick swipe into the bucket, compresses it with one little pat and knocks off the excess with one finger. She than stacks it into a plastic tray, which is also made by Jiffy to perfectly accommodate 50 2" pots - we're talking seconds per pot!. If the mix is too dry, it won't compress and more has to be added by the transplanter. If it's too wet, it will compress too densely, and the transplanter will tend to break-off tap roots and damage stems as she plants. The same person always transplants because she can put the right pressure on the tweezers to move the seedling without damaging it. It takes practice.

So moisture is crucial and MG has the perfect moisture level. When everybody gets their timing right (which is usually about when they finish lol), this system really flies!

RETRACTION----I mentioned earlier that we had some mold problems and I erroneously, and unfairly, blamed the Expert Gardener brand mix. It wasn't infected mix - one of our volunteer ladies who is an expert container gardener at home, suggested that the greenhouse was too cool. We turned-up the thermostat from 50 degrees to 60 and the mold problem disappeared and damping-off stopped. My apologies for jumping to conclusions. We will. however, still buy MG when it's available in the large bags. We lost a few hundred seedlings, but no problem.

The main problem with our little operation is "all chiefs and no indians", if y'all know what I mean. LOL.

Dawn is breaking in the East - gotta go out and go to work. Real busy right now.

Jack
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2011   #77
robbyjoe01
Tomatovillian™

Been a fan of MG for awhile. Good to see others do to on this site
robbyjoe01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2011   #78
JackE
Tomatovillian™

Hi Robby - glad to see your post -don't be a stranger! JME
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2011   #79
bigmeanmamma
Tomatovillian™

I have found Joel Salatin's advice on dealing with local authorities to be invaluable. Just say, "OK, what do I need to do?" This has worked well for me. If you seem cooperative and willing to comply you're unlikely to be bothered.

We sell heirloom seedlings at our local farmer's market but we have also sold them from our driveway for several years. I have a chalkboard that I place at the end of the driveway that says "TOMATO SEEDLINGS" and people stop and buy them. Its easy to spend a couple bucks for something that will give you fresh produce!

We set out tables and put signs that say "red" "yellow" etc. Our driveway customers don't seem to care about "heirlooms" but I have a list just in case.

Good Luck!
bigmeanmamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2011   #80
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Thank you. I probably will give it a try. There is a bit of an heirloom craze around here, just about everyone seems to know what they are - a very happy trend.
tam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2011   #81
organichris
Tomatovillian™

I had good success with Craig's List. I only advertised one day. One guy showed up and wanted to buy $40 worth. He would have wiped me out and I hadn't even planted yet. I sold him $20 worth, and I still get emails requesting plants, even though it was weeks ago when I advertised.

As far as the government goes trying to regulate small time tomato growers...never mind.

organichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2011   #82
tam91
Tomatovillian™

I'm not too worried about the government regs, I think I'll be ok out here.

I do find it a bit worrisome, the stories of advertising tomato sales, and then people stealing all their seedlings. I sure wouldn't like that. I'm thinking of just sticking a sign out there, and seeing how that goes.
Old April 18, 2011   #83
organichris
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tam91 View Post
I'm not too worried about the government regs, I think I'll be ok out here.

I do find it a bit worrisome, the stories of advertising tomato sales, and then people stealing all their seedlings. I sure wouldn't like that. I'm thinking of just sticking a sign out there, and seeing how that goes.
Go for it, buddy!

If you don't think the heat will come down on you, a sign should be fine. But dude, if you want extra business without the heat, freakin' Craig's List. I attracted a lot of attention with an ad something like this:

Heirloom Tomato Plants!!! Don't waste your money on tastless hybrids at Walmart! Did you want to grow the tomatoes that friends and family rave about? Here's your chance...

I know it sounds like a Topsy Turvy commercial, but I could have made a lot of money if I could have kept up with the demand of that one ad. Plus I posted a sweet picture of some homegrown maters with the ad.

Last edited by organichris; April 18, 2011 at 05:37 PM.
organichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2011   #84
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Pretty nice wording there, I am impressed.

Near as I can tell, there's no rule against it here - I love being unincorporated.

I think the Craigs List is an excellent idea - I'm just (perhaps unnecessarily) worried about the tomato rustlers.

I don't have tons of leftover, it'll be interesting to see how/if they sell - I might start more next year if this works out well (haha now I have to pay for my little, sorta heated, greenhouse in addition to shelves and lights)

Thanks for the ideas.
Old June 10, 2011   #85
jhp
Tomatovillian™

So? How did it turn out tam91? Did you sell your extras? I read thru this 6 page thread and now I'm wondering how it turned out. I always have extras as I suspect most here on tville do. I've been giving them away for years. Last year, I gave a dozen to my dentist office and this year, when DH went in for his cleaning a few weeks before my appointment, they were all over him about the tomato seedlings. Asking him to let me know that they wanted to buy them from me. I felt just slightly funny about. I figured giving away seedlings was my insurance for good garden mojo. But I also like money! AND I do pay them for taking care of my teeth after all. So they wanted ALL of my extras, which wasn't as many as I usually have because of being busy with my real business in the spring. I probably could have sold them another dozen or more over the 32 I sold them. I thought that was pretty good for one sale. It made me want to get into the seedling selling business too. I've been wanting to have a driveway plant sale for years. Maybe this little taste of succuess will spur me on for next year.

How about you?

Jen
jhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2011   #86
tam91
Tomatovillian™

You know, after all that - I ended up going on vacation at the time I really would have wanted to be selling them, and coming home to a bunch of stuff going on, and I gave the extras away. Sigh. But... hopefully next year. I really intended to sell them this year, but it just didn't happen. Lots of grateful friends and others anyway, so I guess - good karma.
Old June 10, 2011   #87
jhp
Tomatovillian™

That's understandable. That's basically how it goes down for me each spring. Too busy, etc. But I want to do it next year. I found this thread helpful with insight about doing it cheaply. I don't want to spend a ton on supplies. I've been growing them in styro cups and just write the names on with a sharpy marker. Cheap, but I have to poke holes in them, which is an annoying task. I don't know where to get containers locally.

Also, I'm not sure how many seedlings I should grow. I don't want to throw away good seedlings if I'm unable to sell them or give them away. Then giving them away becomes a big task if unable to sell. I guess I have to figure out a manageable amount.

Jen
Old June 11, 2011   #88
tam91
Tomatovillian™

I used a metal shishkebab skewer, turned a short stack of cups upside down, and poked holes in a bunch of them at a time. That didn't take too long.

I wrote the name with the sharpie marker too - actually, my friends liked that, as they stuck the foot of the tomato cage through the cup or something (after the plant was planted) and just used that as the plant marker.

As far as buying containers and trays, it's probably cheaper to order online, even including the shipping.
Old June 11, 2011   #89
jhp
Tomatovillian™

That is exactly how I do it too, with the shishkebab skewer. I also use the cups as markers. Always get questions, "what are the cups for?" Heh heh.

Jen
Old March 19, 2012   #90
stonysoilseeds
Tomatovillian™

i wpold love to sell some of my extra plants at farmers market before vegies are ready but ny requies live plants must be inspected before selling and might be too much trouble to go through that
stonysoilseeds is offline   Reply With Quote