Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old December 30, 2016   #76
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Default I cannot do anything right?

Hi...I have just inspected my plants and the baking soda recipe I used has basicly killed them...I cannot believe it ?...I should have used peroxide...I used a recipe from a You Tobe video ....One quart of water with 1 1/2 tablespoons of Baking soda...one tablespoon of cooking oil and two tablespoons of dishwash liquid......I should have used a standard recipe...It could have been the baking soda ..the Canola oil or the Dish wash liquid....No problem with the milk spray?? thanks Ron
murihikukid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2016   #77
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

I truly feel for you, when I saw the pics I was bummed. Keep up the good fight, I hope something works out and you get some fruit.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2016   #78
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Default Its just getting worse?

Hi all... Thinks are just getting worse ...The spots on one of my $22 plants has now progressed (I think) into something much worse...I am hoping some one can identify from photos and advise me....Thanks Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2843.jpg (317.6 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2846.jpg (377.4 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2848.jpg (432.0 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2849.JPG (497.9 KB, 65 views)

Last edited by murihikukid; December 31, 2016 at 12:57 AM.
Old December 31, 2016   #79
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
I truly feel for you, when I saw the pics I was bummed. Keep up the good fight, I hope something works out and you get some fruit.
Hi..I am very suspicious...there is something not right here so I sent a New Years email to the manager ..Remember this is a big store of a frachise chain and most if not all have a gardening centre...
Heres my email......
Hi..T****.As you know I am getting old and have been through the wringer a few times in my life but I am an honest person.....Now I was told and I am pretty sure it was by yourself that the Tasty Toms were for a special order but the prospective buyer pulled out of the deal....

Now you know E****dale better than I do ..I do not know them at all...the plants were then offered by them to yourselves M*** 10....but consider this if the prospective buyer had inspected the plants at pickup and seen the problem and refused to buy them ...Would E****dale to cut their losses then try to sell them on especially to a garden centre hoping that a new buyer there would not notice the lower leaves and nobody would be the wiser....
Cheers Ron

i hope its not true but I believe somebody knew the plants had a problem ..

Happy New Year everybody ...only 3 hours 10 minutes to go here ...Ron
Old December 31, 2016   #80
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Hi..I finally found the video for the baking soda recipe for Powdery Mildue....I had it exactly right...so what went wrong ..I am wondering if it was the dishwash liquid...
Heres The Link....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mtqtFYAE3s
Cheers Ron.
Old December 31, 2016   #81
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Hi...On post 78 are some photos of a yellow leaf and a black spot...I urgently require information on what this actually is...as I am in dispute over the plants and whatever this is I presume could be a danger to my own plants that I have raised from Seeds...Thanks Ron
Old December 31, 2016   #82
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Okay... your yellow leaves do look like MgSO4 deficiency, and remember that Magnesium is central to the chlorophyll molecule. What you are most likely seeing now is death of the tissue. Have you added Magnesium? You can spray it for immediate result, a tablespoon to two per gallon of water, or add it to your fert at half the strength of the fert, if it does not have any already. If it does dilute it, but you do need it.
If you don't already know Mg is mobile in the plant, it moves where it is needed if the supply is short, which is the growing tips, that is why you see it in the older growth first. Look up nutrient mobility to verify this.

http://www.haifa-group.com/knowledge...ency_symptoms/
Mark

Last edited by AKmark; December 31, 2016 at 05:36 PM.
Old December 31, 2016   #83
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

PHewww??? Hi Thankyou very much ....You see I am in a catch 22 position...I cannot do anything till I am exactly sure because if I do I will get the finger pointed at me and if its something worse they will reneg on their offer of a refund...You see I like these plants and if I can bring them back to full health I will...With the Manager away to Jan 9th nobody is really prepared to discuss anthing with me ...They might tell me I gave them bad water ,,, No more plants from Garden centres from now on...as you can see they need repotted,pruned and of course they have to have magnessium.....I also want to spray them with copper and sulphate to prevent anything getting on them like powdery mildew.....

Now I was up at the garden Centre earlier and was shown flower plants with powdery mildew on them...I would say any powdery mildew that I have came from there on plants I bought .......There answer.."Why do you have the problem,nobody else have"....Its quite frightening how these people operate....

Cheers Ron..
Old December 31, 2016   #84
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by murihikukid View Post
Now I was up at the garden Centre earlier and was shown flower plants with powdery mildew on them...I would say any powdery mildew that I have came from there on plants I bought
It's entirely possible that the powdery mildew was on the plants when you bought them, but powdery mildew on flowers plants isn't evidence. Powdery mildews are fairly host specific. The ones that affect tomatoes won't necessarily affect other species of plants and vice versa.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2017   #85
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Default i got rid of Powdery Mildew???

Hi...I think the mildew is gone along with my plants...I sure learnt another lesson ... I will just see what happens ...maybe some will come through the experience....I see on the comments that people have been successful with her recipe which now puzzles me...Still fixing a part of my roof ...Hopefully will be fixed tomorrow....

Will try to reply to all the posts tonight...
Cheers Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2851.jpg (572.3 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2852.jpg (522.1 KB, 52 views)
Old January 2, 2017   #86
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
Okay... your yellow leaves do look like MgSO4 deficiency, and remember that Magnesium is central to the chlorophyll molecule. What you are most likely seeing now is death of the tissue. Have you added Magnesium? You can spray it for immediate result, a tablespoon to two per gallon of water, or add it to your fert at half the strength of the fert, if it does not have any already. If it does dilute it, but you do need it.
If you don't already know Mg is mobile in the plant, it moves where it is needed if the supply is short, which is the growing tips, that is why you see it in the older growth first. Look up nutrient mobility to verify this.

http://www.haifa-group.com/knowledge...ency_symptoms/
Mark
OK...Magnessian is Epsom Salts so you do not have an issue with me mixing a tablespoon to two to a gallon of water ...but you say spray/? so does this mean its sprayed on the foliage ....What about the soil??

Thanks Ron
Old January 2, 2017   #87
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

[QUOTE=gorbelly;607547]You have nothing to lose, then. I guess you can prune off affected foliage and spray with horticultural oil or neem or potassium bicarbonate or some other powdery mildew remedy. Unaffected plants will need to be sprayed, too.

Please follow package instructions carefully for foliar spraying. Oils can be damaging when applied at the wrong time of day or in the wrong concentrations.

I've had luck with bleach spray on powdery mildew of squash (knocks it back well, although it comes back because once the spores are in the air, it's impossible to eradicate), but I know you just had a traumatic experience with incorrectly applied bleach spray, so you probably don't want to try it.[/QUOTE

Hi I have read that this gives good results ...it is made by a reputable company in Australasia...I do not know if its elsewhere...I had a lady visit ...hell she wanted to pick everything off my plants?? now I have lost the black spotted leaf ....She seems to be quite clued up and got stuck in with my computer trying to find out what is was>>>>after an hour and picking about 20 different things she did not know what it was....Same result as I got....

Cheers Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2853.JPG (399.3 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2855.JPG (497.7 KB, 49 views)
Old January 2, 2017   #88
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Ron, spraying the foliage is the fastest way to see results. I will do that if I see a problem, and I have, but I prefer to adjust my fertilizer mix to keep on top of it. Remember that you have no idea what they were fed. With that said, you have a deficiency to correct, but the real question is how the mix you plan on using is going to work on the plants? Does it contain MgSO4? If it does I would probably spray to correct the obvious problem, but your mix may be just fine for the future.
You certainly have a lot of dead leaves to remove, they are doing you no good. I would also sterilize the room, no telling what is incubating in there.
I would start with one tablespoon, don't over do it, work your way to perfection slowly.
Good luck, I hope this helps
Old January 2, 2017   #89
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Get bigger containers.
Put soil in containers and set the plant pot and all in container to see how much soil you need at the bottom of the new container to make the old container even with the top.
Once this is done leave old container in the new pot and fill in around the container with new soil pack it in gently.
Pull out small container.
You should have a mold of it in the soil.
Pull old container off the plant and put the root ball in the new container.
Not going down the whats wrong with it road.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2017   #90
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Default Part One

Worth! ..Yes My idea was similar but I think I will use yours....So bare with me...My greenhouse?? I am quite proud of it so far but there is still tidying up to do with the odd clamp rope etc to be removed ... I did it with only miminal help... Jobs that would take minutes took hours sometimes days to do ..It will take about four posts so i hopw I do not get barred.....Cheers Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2745.jpg (126.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2747.jpg (569.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2749.jpg (437.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2751.jpg (477.7 KB, 25 views)