Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 13, 2015   #796
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

I use chile peppers for a lot of things. If I am making soup I like to mince some up in it. I smoke a lot of peppers and then dehyrdrate them to make flavored salt or chile powders. They all have their own unique flavor. I use to not be a fan of hot but as I experimented I shifted from midly hot to pretty hot. I draw the line at Ghost peppers, that is more like torture than flavor. I started eating them because of their health benefits but became a fan of their flavor.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2015   #797
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Hi Everyone,

Ginny - just let me know - If you will be back in the fall, I can start some on 7/23 - that is way too early here I think because our night time temps are too high for fruiting. I imagine your temps are just a little lower at night and that makes a difference. I have the same problem with not enough sun in those same months. But there is plenty of sun for the seedlings for the spring tomatoes. This year for the fall tomatoes, I am going to put my buckets and maybe some non-caster earthboxes in the Raised Beds where I think the sun is better.

Marsha - I've picked the OKRA much earlier and DH said it is really good. Thank you for the tip. Yours looks beautiful.

Kay - those peppers look really good but I just end up giving all the hot peppers away.

Update - my summer tomatoes - just a few plants of the heat variety have not produced. One has fruited 2 tomatoes - I even planted Juliet (not even a fan) and that has 2 big (for Juliet standards) ripe tomatoes and just keeps blossoming. I have kept the cut back PBTD plant and the Green one from Marsha cut back alive. Both plants are really healthy looking and will keep them going through the fall if possible.

In the week where DH watered for me b/c I couldn't sweat, I don't think he watered enough - I ended up yanking all those plants over the last few days.

The weeds in the yard are out of control. I can't even imagine how bad they would be if it had been raining a normal amount. Weeds are even in the container where I pulled the tomato but left the container and mix.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2015   #798
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Has it still been dry? I haven't remembered to followed the weather.

Barb - I will let you know about seedlings. Thank you sooooo much for the offer.

Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2015   #799
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

I wouldn't call it dry here in Orlando. There is forecast a chance of rain for each of the next 10 days. Of course it is hot and as all of you know here in Florida hot days often mean rainy late afternoons.

A question for all you Florida gardeners with much more knowledgeable than I.
Which dwarf varieties, most of which seem to come from the Dwarf Project, have done well for you here in Florida? Also which dwarf varieties have done poorly?
I seem to remember a post by Barb_FL saying she had problems with the dwarfs with Rugose leaves. I think she particularly was having a problem with New Big Dwarf. If the dwarfs are a problem does this seem to apply only the ones with later maturities or all of them?
Any opinions, ideas, experiences shared would be greatly appreciated. I'm very close to starting my seedlings and don't want to try to grow something which you think might not work.
Thanks so much. Larry
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2015   #800
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Larry - I had really good luck with most of the Dwarfs from the Dwarf Project.

I only grew those based on Kay's recommendations:

Tasmanian Chocolate

Wild Fred

Sleeping Lady (not Kay's recommendation - this was a free pack from the vendor)

Iditarod Red - also not Kay's recommendation - it was super productive; but just OK for taste. Used mostly for sauce, tomato/cuke mix or gave away to those people who ONLY like reds.

Arctic Rose - this was the biggest healthiest seedlings, was the first to grow in an EB, and was a total bust. One tomato between the 2 plants. Maybe the name means it likes COLD temperatures.

Later on also based on Kay's recommendations:

I ordered these dwarfs:
Wherokowai
Sweet Scarlet

But had problems with germination, contacted the vendor and received replacement seeds, but it was early March by the time they new ones germinated so never got any fruit. Will try again since I believe the problem was it was too hot.

It will be interesting to see what the others grew.
Old July 19, 2015   #801
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

I miss my garden! I'm in San Diego still doing a computer install. I head to Kansas on Wednesday after 18 long days here.

Is anyone still getting tomatoes to grow or have you pulled most of your plants?

Ginny
Old July 19, 2015   #802
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

We miss you Ginny! Haven't cut down my tomatoes, but might as well. There is one that is setting fruit even today, it is mostly shaded, it's called Guernsey Pink Blush. Two volunteers came up, then loaded with blossoms,and 4 or 5 are setting fruits. Sun Gold is in a bucket- 7 gallon, in shade, still setting some, I'll let it be. the okra are producing like crazy, really enjoying them. The Hill Country are about twice as fat as any other I have seen, and they are green with a rosy tip. Photo to follow later if I remember, LOL!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2015   #803
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Hi Marsha,

Is there a noticeable taste difference in any of the types of okra? Which one is the most productive?

Thanks for the report... :-)

Ginny
Old July 19, 2015   #804
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone9b View Post
I wouldn't call it dry here in Orlando. There is forecast a chance of rain for each of the next 10 days. Of course it is hot and as all of you know here in Florida hot days often mean rainy late afternoons.

A question for all you Florida gardeners with much more knowledgeable than I.
Which dwarf varieties, most of which seem to come from the Dwarf Project, have done well for you here in Florida? Also which dwarf varieties have done poorly?
I seem to remember a post by Barb_FL saying she had problems with the dwarfs with Rugose leaves. I think she particularly was having a problem with New Big Dwarf. If the dwarfs are a problem does this seem to apply only the ones with later maturities or all of them?
Any opinions, ideas, experiences shared would be greatly appreciated. I'm very close to starting my seedlings and don't want to try to grow something which you think might not work.
Thanks so much. Larry
Hi Larry,

I can't remember if I sent you seeds for Cherokee Tiger Large Red Dwarf and Cherokee Tiger Black Dwarf but they grew fine for me and they have the lime green colored rugose leaves. I grew them in pots though. They were really tasty and so pretty. My husband just loved the taste and look of the CT Large Red Dwarf.... red with orange stripes, small beefsteak type.

Ginny
Old July 19, 2015   #805
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

I have pulled all my tomatoes except Ambrosia Red. It refuses to quit blooming. It is too hot for it set fruit but maybe it will before my next round. I planted my seeds last week hoping to plant out the first of September. I have to start earlier than those of you further south.
Old July 19, 2015   #806
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Hi Ginny, no noticeable taste in those I have tried already, JimmyT, and Burgundy. I have yet to try Clemson Spineless, Evergreen, or Hill Country. So far, and by a lot, JimmyT is the most productive.

Kay, started seeds already, wow. I start some peppers first week August, and 4th week of August will be tomato seeds.
Old July 19, 2015   #807
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

If we are going to get fall tomatoes we have to plant them out the first part of September. We can get frost by mid December even though at times I still have tomatoes in January. Of course last year we had two freezes in November.

Another Master Gardener and I plant 400 tomato seeds last week. When they hold the fall seed starting class near the end of August it is too late to start tomatoes so we always have tomato plants they can buy. We also donate a lot of the plants to community gardens in the areas designated as food deserts.
Old July 19, 2015   #808
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

UGH - I had typed in a giant post and puff - it's gone.

Anyone to summarize:

Ginny - we miss you too - let me know about the seeds this week.

Also I found a source for the Sunshine Blue BB plants - I ordered 2 to test.
It is on Etsy which I never ordered from but took a chance.

http://https://www.etsy.com/listing/...QcmhoC8c7w_wcB

Plant is in 1 quart container vs ParkSeed 3.5" pot (where I bought the originals)

http://parkseed.com/sunshine-blue-dw...berry/p/48092/

I'm also going to try to clone a few plants from my originals. If the Etsy ones come through, that will be a couple of years ahead of anything I can clone.

------
I'm still trying to get ahead on the solarizing - I fill several bags per day. They are all over the place now. Other than the EB, I'm only adding one container per bag so it will be flatter when layed out (and get to 150 easier).

Marsha - have you started solarizing yet?

I was looking up what temp we need to achieve and definitely exceed their range.

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn74145.html

---
Finally, those pepper seedlings from Kay's Method look fantastic - I transplanted several in containers (root pouches and Walmart bags in the $1 laundry basket from Dollar Tree).

Also - been adding the Neptune's Harvest Crabshell to solarizing and transplants. That stuff sure stinks.

Does anyone know a good method to test the PH in container mix? I bought the water one and water is NOT the problem. I'm convinced a lot of my problems were PH related.

We've had huge rain storms the last couple of afternoons - it has cooled things off - hopefully, those HEAT varieties will set some fruit.

--
Kay - what tomatoes did you plant?

Better update b4 I lose it again.
Old July 19, 2015   #809
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Barb- yes, I have, but I'm just leaving the clear bags over the EBs. I know your way is a better sterilize, but I'm hoping mine is good enough. Those that aren't growing the okra are covered and tied with clear plastic per your fantastic experiment. Last year I used black plastic, so thanks to you I am doing a bit better this year.
Barb, I like those 3 pronged pH meters that come with a gauge with three different meters. They cost about ~$30 at HD.
Here's all the varieties of okra: Hill Country Upper Left, Clemson Spineless upper rt,
Burgundy mid left, Emerald single farest right, pile with 2 tiers is JimmyT. That tomato is a very sorry looking Girl Girl's Weird Thing, but I'm not complaining if I can harvest a very occasional tomato in this heat.

Kay, we contribute to food desert areas here to through the MGs but no one is very organized except me about growing edibles. I think you are very lucky to belong to a really goid MG group.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (225.6 KB, 36 views)
Old July 19, 2015   #810
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

I was busy today, seven trays of mango slices are dehydrating. Squirrels were eating them, So DH and I harvested all the last 40 or so.... And of course they are all ripening at once. Dehydrated mango is incredible. Any of our Floridian regulars want some? Just PM me and I'll send some along! Planning to dehydrate another 7-8 trays each of the next 2 days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (284.2 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by ginger2778; July 20, 2015 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Typos