Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 9, 2016   #766
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Well I decided I would go out and practice more with the cheap Chinese pellet gun.
I was getting pretty good, down to 1 1/2 inch groups open sites off hand at 20 yards.
So I decided to zero it in.
3 shots later it broke and stopped cocking.
So maybe 30 to 50 shots all together and the cheap Chinese pellet rifle is no more.
I am not even going to try and fix it but I will cannibalize parts from it.

The darn thing would go through a cracker box and bury the pellet up in the end grain of mesquite wood.

While I was practicing three count you three deer came out of the woods about 50 yards from me.
One probably had a tomato in its mouth.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2016   #767
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

There are some really amazing air rifles on the market. Illinois requires a firearm owners ID card if the fps velocity is high enough. So it is possible, here at least, to go to jail for unlicensed possession of a bb gun.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2016   #768
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
There are some really amazing air rifles on the market. Illinois requires a firearm owners ID card if the fps velocity is high enough. So it is possible, here at least, to go to jail for unlicensed possession of a bb gun.
No doubt considering.

I am about to go get a 177 caliber that is supposed to shoot at 1300 fps.
I was holding back until I heard from Leopold about my scope.
I have a 6.5 X 20 AO EFR that will focus from 10 yards up to infinity.
They advertised it years ago to shoot with air rifles and high power rifles.
My question to them was what kind of air rifle they are different.
They said it will be fine and that is what they sell a lot of them for.
Ever since I have owned that scope I cant stand to look, through cheap optics.
I shot a running buck with it once mounted on my heavy varmint 25-06.
Someone had gut shot it and it was getting away.
Worth
Old June 9, 2016   #769
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

GAMO ones are awesome.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2016   #770
bower
Tomatovillian™

One of the young moose that came through here a couple years ago looked like it had been shot with rock salt or some such 'non lethal' weapon. Pocks on the poor thing's legs.
I am squarely in the camp of kill it and eat it, it's more merciful than the alternative. If you shot one, I bet the others would stay away for awhile. Moose would for sure. But the opposite is true, it's not legal to shoot them here so close to the houses, even in season with a license, and they know it. They used to run away when they saw a camera, but now they strike a pose.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2016   #771
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I have an old Crossman 760 PumpMaster. I got it a long time ago to ward off irritating animals that I didn't want to kill. Our children learned target practice with it too.

My grandfather had a 22 caliber pistol that took CO2 cartridges. That was a long time ago.

I think I'm going to look into getting a much better air rifle too - it would be useful here.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; June 9, 2016 at 09:02 PM.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2016   #772
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I have an old Crossman 760 PumpMaster. I got it a long time ago to ward off irritating animals that I didn't want to kill. Our children learned target practice with it too.

My grandfather had a 22 caliber pistol that took CO2 cartridges. That was a long time ago.

I think I'm going to look into getting a much better air rifle one too - it would be useful here.
You wife works at Wall Mart she can get one of those nice Gamos on discount.
They have came away sine the old pump up crossman's.

If you do get one get the one with the gas piston and not the springer type.
You can keep them cocked all the time practically.

I am about to take a shower and go get this one.
The Gamo whisper fusion elite.

The thing should have threads on the end of the scope inside if it does I will thread a big nice sun shade for it on my lathe.

Last edited by Worth1; June 9, 2016 at 09:10 PM.
Old June 9, 2016   #773
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Personally I would steer clear of getting a spring powered gun. They have a tendency to jump when shot which messes with REAL accuracy. My Gamo is rated at 1250 fps and granted it shoot really hard, but isn't very accurate IMO. I blame the accuracy on myself, the weird recoil and the effect on the small .177 caliber pellet once it exceeds the sound barrier. It may be a small amount, but as quite an impact when you get out a ways. But I like a good tack driver.

I think if I was to buy another air rifle I would look at some of the Benjamin or Beeman guns. I really don't like my Gamo Shadow.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2016   #774
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
Personally I would steer clear of getting a spring powered gun. They have a tendency to jump when shot which messes with REAL accuracy. My Gamo is rated at 1250 fps and granted it shoot really hard, but isn't very accurate IMO. I blame the accuracy on myself, the weird recoil and the effect on the small .177 caliber pellet once it exceeds the sound barrier. It may be a small amount, but as quite an impact when you get out a ways. But I like a good tack driver.

I think if I was to buy another air rifle I would look at some of the Benjamin or Beeman guns. I really don't like my Gamo Shadow.
That's why I am going with the gas piston.
When I get it I will shoot it a few times and start working on it.
One thing I am going to do is make it as heavy as I can.
Then I will see what I can do with the trigger if I dont like it.
Might even change the stock.
Heavy guns shoot better I like 10 to 12 pounders.

Worth.
Old June 9, 2016   #775
Jonnyhat
Tomatovillian™

i sighted my gamo whisper fusion pro in (which took a while) and I can put 5 in a quarter at 50y with the stock scope. The whisper fusion pros trigger action is the best air gun I have shot, I had an older gamo I bought probably 15 years ago that was a 900-1000fps gun and had the problem with the gun walking, not with this
Jonnyhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2016   #776
friedgreen51
Tomatovillian™

Default Deer Problem and an Inexpensive Fence that Really Works

I have attached some pictures of our electric fence that really works. The concept is a fence within a fence. Deer have very poor depth perception and they will not try to jump a double fence. The outer fence only has one wire and is about 4 feet tall. The inner fence is also about 4 feet tall and has 2 wires. The top wire at 4 feet and the bottom wire at 2 feet. We have been using this system for almost 8 years and it really works. We had a really bad deer problem and this solved the problem. Initially we had metal caps that were attached to the wire at 20 ft. intervals with apple flavored drops on cotton balls. This attracted the deer to the fence but one lick and a burnt tongue and they won't come close to it now. We only used the deer attractant the first year.

Also attached is a picture of my really cool tomato cages that my husband made me out of goat wire. There is a big beef growing in it.

I feel your pain. Until we put up this fence the deer came every night for the vegetable buffet.

Deborah (Friedgreen51)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1.JPG (188.6 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg photo 3.JPG (128.0 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg Goat-Sheep Wire Cage with a Big Beef.JPG (216.3 KB, 47 views)
friedgreen51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2016   #777
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

.22 CB longs in a rifle are quieter than a pellet gun. They are all I squirrel hunt with.
Hellmanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2016   #778
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmanns View Post
.22 CB longs in a rifle are quieter than a pellet gun. They are all I squirrel hunt with.
The only 22 I have besides the magnum is in all of its parts.
A Remington pump.

The CB's are what I used to test 22's I worked on in town.
The sound like a small nail gun.
Old June 9, 2016   #779
Jonnyhat
Tomatovillian™

depends on the pellet gun, if you are sub sonic
Jonnyhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2016   #780
Bulldog
Tomatovillian™

I would take your electric fence if it would work for squirrels. The goat wire cage is nice too
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote