Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 1, 2012   #61
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, good to see your back and it looks like your getting a handle on that new keyboard. You definitely don't need Win 8 and do to your mobility problems the desk top PC is your best choice. One thing I would suggest to you is get an (UPS) Uninterruptible Power Supply such as the one in the link I'm giving you. Since you do have power problems, by plugging the UPS into your surge suppressor and computer equipment into the UPS it will filter and handle any power interruptions with out having you computer shut down and loose your data. If you do have a power outage it will give you plenty of time to save your data and shut the PC down.
I maintain the Site UPS where I work and the batteries alone are in a building the size of a garage and will keep my site up for over an hour when commercial power is lost. The unit I'm giving you a link to is the same unit I used at home except mine is an older model. This one should keep your PC up for 5-10 minutes giving you plenty of time to shut your PC down. Of course you can get units with larger batteries that will keep your PC up longer if you so desire but will be more expensive. Ami

http://www.amazon.com/APC-BR1000G-Ba...ref=pd_sim_e_6
Old December 1, 2012   #62
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, I am glad that your new computer is up and running. We missed you
chancethegardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2012   #63
greyghost
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, Welcome back!! I missed you very much! Darlene
greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2012   #64
mcsee
Tomatovillian™

A big welcome back from me too Carolyn. You have been missed.
mcsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2012   #65
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Hi Carolyn, so glad to hear from you!!!! I have to admit the iPad has been a challenge and I wouldn't recommend it for you. It can't do what a computer can do, and it can be very very frustrating for those of us over a certain age, haha! Anyways you seem to be up and running! Thanks for answering. I hear we're going to have a long hard winter but I have my seeds from Tatiana to dream about! Hope you get it all worked out. Computers can be very frustrating when things don't work!
Sharon
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2012   #66
tedln

I say you are never to old or never to young to learn something new. I thought about posting a photo of our three year old great grandson taken yesterday. He was sitting on the toilet with his head back against the toilet tank with his ipad perched on his knees totally absorbed in whatever he was reading. I decided to not post it because once something like that gets on the internet, it could haunt him for the rest of his life.

Ted

Last edited by tedln; December 1, 2012 at 11:41 PM.
Old December 2, 2012   #67
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, it is so good that you finally got your new computer! I am sure you will get used to your new keyboard in no time! I am sure you've got a lot to catch up, but please take it easy!!!

And welcome back

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2012   #68
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

You might consider asking your computer guy for your old keyboard back. It should work just fine on your new machine, and there's no need to retrain your fingers. Unless, of course, you wore it out with posts here...
Old December 2, 2012   #69
matereater
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, glad to see your back online, we missed you !!

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
matereater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2012   #70
frdlturner
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn welcome back
frdlturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2012   #71
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
Carolyn, good to see your back and it looks like your getting a handle on that new keyboard. You definitely don't need Win 8 and do to your mobility problems the desk top PC is your best choice. One thing I would suggest to you is get an (UPS) Uninterruptible Power Supply such as the one in the link I'm giving you. Since you do have power problems, by plugging the UPS into your surge suppressor and computer equipment into the UPS it will filter and handle any power interruptions with out having you computer shut down and loose your data. If you do have a power outage it will give you plenty of time to save your data and shut the PC down.
I maintain the Site UPS where I work and the batteries alone are in a building the size of a garage and will keep my site up for over an hour when commercial power is lost. The unit I'm giving you a link to is the same unit I used at home except mine is an older model. This one should keep your PC up for 5-10 minutes giving you plenty of time to shut your PC down. Of course you can get units with larger batteries that will keep your PC up longer if you so desire but will be more expensive. Ami

http://www.amazon.com/APC-BR1000G-Ba...ref=pd_sim_e_6
Ted, when I hear that audible GOOD BYE i know it's a DSL problem, not a power problem, been there I can't tell you how many times. Even Wayne has said that DSL where I am can be finicky. A coupleof years ago I was getting kicked off up to 6 times per day, and I wasn't the only one on my road andVerizon dug up many feet to check theliones, which are very old.

It's better now, and what happened most recently jsut surprised me b'c most of the tgime after the Good By, it's backup within 15 sec, and if not anther windwo comes up and says that AOL has lo\st connection to braidband and then sometimes I have to wait for several hours until I can get back on.

That was with my old system, So that's why I was surprised when the Good Bye led to the computer turning off. But if that's the way it is, and I can get back on ASAP that's Ok with me.

Wayne does want to get me a new surge protector for back here by the computer b'c the blinking red light on the one I now have, which isn't all the time, he thinks may be a short in it being that it's so old. New computer system wants new surge protector says he.

Carolyn
Old December 2, 2012   #72
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerShawn View Post
You might consider asking your computer guy for your old keyboard back. It should work just fine on your new machine, and there's no need to retrain your fingers. Unless, of course, you wore it out with posts here...
Wayne bought back my tower and two discs he burned for me to save and the old keyboard is right over there in the corner and the old tower needs to go there as well as the old mouse. The Monitor and speakers are what I had before and am using now.

But I'm getting used to this keyboard now and you have to admit I'm doing better than that first post here.

Fingers are fine but I make no claims as to brain cells.

While I'm here, any redhearts up in the NE Kingdom? Can you PM mean about that?

Carolyn