Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 18, 2015   #61
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Wow, Worth - you have a better memory than I, although I know I met you there....my approaching 60-ness is preventing me from reaching back into the memory banks for our specific exchange!

John, it is too hot out there for me to resume yet - so ...

I agree that the internet is remarkable - and I still see it as a blessing and a curse. It reminds me technological advances in general - often they are launched without setting the guidelines. And like many things in life, the great advances come with a few things not so great....as in email - I suspect if most people's emails were paper, the piles would reach the moon. When does one throw email away? What if we need it again? Facebook - great for connecting, but in many cases reminds me of being back in school with all of the likes - and I hate anything that resembles a popularity contest.

You mention ebay - at first, one could find amazing things, at reasonable prices...then the strategies for bidding emerged, and one could find themselves in competition with others with much deeper pockets...I feel so fortunate to have built up my seed catalog collection relatively early on - later on, I was being massively outbid by some who not so much wanted something but just didn't want me to get it. So - again - a tool that represents both the best, and some of the worst, of human behavior.

And now to the thing that really made me think - the presence - existence - of the internet on my book. That's what I was reflecting on out there in the garden. The easy answer is yes, it would have happened to some degree - my wife Sue has been on me to "get my book out" (as she says) for years. Much of what is in the book happened before the internet became a major gardening resource and tool. But having the web - using it as a catalyst for projects like the Dwarf tomato project (what a wonderful Knowledge Management tool it can be), meeting other gardeners (which allowed for the regional growing condition contributions), and reaching out and sharing with my blog, sharing pictures - those were definitely enhanced by the web. And of course, doing research is made easier (though one has to use caution - and that word again - skepticism - and be careful to go through the steps of read, assess, analyze, consider, validate as much as possible).

Funny all of this comes from my chirping in on why some long timers vanish. And some return. Maybe I can sum it up with this - the internet can be a powerful tool of sharing, understanding and knowledge. But only if those who are on it do so with honesty and integrity and respect. And as many things in life, it is the few bad apples that make things seem worse than they are.
Old May 18, 2015   #62
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

No worries Craig I am approaching 60 also.
I also have what some people call a gift when it comes to memory.
To me it is sometimes a curse.
What you said was you and the board wanted to thank me for being there with my posts.
I replied lets not get the board involved.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2015   #63
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Being past the 60ish and even past the mid, my wife tells me I have a pretty good memory only she says most of it never happened or didn't happen the way I remember it.
Old May 18, 2015   #64
JohnJones
Tomatovillian™

Well said Craig.

One thing is for sure about the internet and my gardening. I enjoy it much more than I would have without TV and numerous online videos (yours included). They have made me a better gardener quickly and that makes it much more interesting.
JohnJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2015   #65
JohnJones
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulF View Post
Being past the 60ish and even past the mid, my wife tells me I have a pretty good memory only she says most of it never happened or didn't happen the way I remember it.
It's too bad that spouses seem to recall our exploits more clearly than we do Paul!!
JohnJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2015   #66
rsg2001
Tomatovillian™

It is true that life changes alter priorities and time spent on the board. When I moved from NYC to Ulster County a year and a half ago it was a lifestyle change and I'm spending my time differently and trying to get involved in some local community organizations. I am still an avid tomato gardener - our new home came with a gigantic set of vegetable beds and I'm growing more varieties of tomatoes than ever and trying new things for me like using paper mulch and a soaker hose system to try to reduce the maintenance time... Also growing some tomatoes and other vegetables in a community garden nearby with the intent to donate some produce to the local food pantry. It helps that I now work just part time for the company I worked for full time when I lived in the city. But the year we moved we were so busy getting the old house ready for sale and packing (which involved lots of discarding!) there simply wasn't time for everything, including posting and regularly reading the board. I originally got to Tomatoville via following Carolyn137 from the old AOL tomato group when that closed down, but on Tomatoville I learned about and started growing dwarfs and was exposed to so much expertise I spent tons of time reading and learning. I am now learning the different ropes of growing in an shorter-season zone, the vagaries and differences with the soil, what varieties grow better and which don't, different bugs and disease issues up here. For the first time I've "diversified" to grow cheese pumpkins (and all the things I didn't know you could cook with pumpkin), watermelons, kale and zucchini in addition to tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers. (Truthfully, the pumpkins are super easy, or at least they were last year - too early to tell this year. But they tend to take over a lot of space, but I digress.) I log on from time to time but rarely post, though. I will try to participate more though - I appreciated all the guidance I have received from Tville members and enjoy contributing advice in those instances where I have experience.
rsg2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2015   #67
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

It's kind of like Tomatoville is an idea and project incubator....you come here, share and learn, and go off and do! And then people hear about it and this site continually renews with new members, new ideas, and new energy.
Old June 24, 2015   #68
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

I joined because I didn't really know anything about tomatoes, and as a scientist (chemist), I just have a natural curiosity to find out about things in general. I mean, I have spreadsheets for my tomato dimensions and yields...LOL. I am also a seasonal surfer, so my time here is limited to the summer months for sure. I suspect some leave because they have learned enough information to help them select and grow the best tomatoes. What is lost is the transmission of that knowledge to new members, like me, when they leave.

I plan on being around for a long time, both to learn, and hopefully, to teach some things too.

I will say that, on the whole, I am dealing with top-notch folks here who really care about the friends we make here.
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2015   #69
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctomatoman View Post
It's kind of like Tomatoville is an idea and project incubator....you come here, share and learn, and go off and do! And then people hear about it and this site continually renews with new members, new ideas, and new energy.
Agreed

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote