Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 31, 2015   #721
captnkirk
Tomatovillian™

Default Bingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
You are welcome. EB is a fungus that can travel airborne as a very fine particle mist is in the air, so even if the patio is covered and not direct rain received, the fungus still has much greater "spreadability" during a heavy rain as it is aerosolized. ( is that a word? LOL) Also, we have had our fair share of dewpoints being close to ambient temps, so that the dew is covering the leaves in the am, and this would apply to patio tomato plants like those outdoors. And you know wet leaves = fungus! BTW- Daconil type fungicides are better as preventives, once you get the active isease, the copper is far superior. I use the Southern Ag brand that I buy at HD. Very inexpensive.
Went down to the local feed store and they had it.Now should i spray it right away even though i sprayed with ortho garden disease earlier this morning.
Attached Images
File Type: png 6.PNG (521.1 KB, 97 views)
captnkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2015   #722
captnkirk
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone9b View Post
Is the fungicide a control measure which leaves the disease in the soil to return over and over again? Just curious. I have EB in my garden area and deal with it by attempting to grow varieties which are resistant or more often I attempt to find varieties which are vigorous enough to produce fruit in spite of it. I am growing currently 3 varieties which seem to work in spite of EB. They are Champion II indeterminate, Granada and Fourth of July. In general, but not always, F1 indeterminates with tall vines seem to work the best. Small bush plants such as many of the new dwarfs just get consumed.
Larry
Thanks Larry i have a 4th of July plant from the fall that l trimmed way back because of diseased leaves that is really coming back now.Some nice tasty tomatoes for the last 4 months from just the one plant.I will be growing it in my garden spring and fall and more than one from now on.Have grown champion2 before and had decent success.I do like the idea of sticking with the indeterminates.
Old December 31, 2015   #723
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnkirk View Post
Went down to the local feed store and they had it.Now should i spray it right away even though i sprayed with ortho garden disease earlier this morning.
Thats the stuff! I would wait a day since you sprayed this am.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2015   #724
captnkirk
Tomatovillian™

Picked the last toms on my tribute plant that were decent size so i can get the raised bed ready for spring planting.The greenies i will fry.Last two pics are my 4th of July plant that i cut way back because of disease but it is still putting them out.
Attached Images
File Type: png 8.PNG (511.7 KB, 92 views)
File Type: png 10.PNG (421.8 KB, 87 views)
File Type: png 11.PNG (634.6 KB, 92 views)
File Type: png 12.PNG (710.8 KB, 89 views)
Old January 1, 2016   #725
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Happy New Year everyone!

Won't know anything about the garden until I get back. Before I left I made 2 huge batches of sauce (the kind with the honey) and gave away tons of tomatoes. I had some totally green huge GGWT on the plants; picked the largest 3 and left others on the plants. Also left most of the green fruit on the other plants. I found this fall, if I didn't pick the ripe beefstakes right away, the bottoms became soggy and then infested with fruit flies.

I ended up sowing a few varieties before I left; the ones where I had tons of seeds and did great in the fall. Will sow some more when I get back.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2016   #726
Imthechuck
Tomatovillian™

anyone else having issues with birds? Im starting to loose quite a large amount of big tomatoes.....

I have never had this issue and keep trying to catch "them in the act"
Imthechuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2016   #727
Zenbaas
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imthechuck View Post
anyone else having issues with birds? Im starting to loose quite a large amount of big tomatoes.....

I have never had this issue and keep trying to catch "them in the act"
Yup they're had more of my tomatoes than I have.! I've even started wondering if one should put the little bags over the tomatoes to prevent them from pecking away at them.

Apparently putting out water for them to drink also helps sometimes.
Zenbaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2016   #728
Imthechuck
Tomatovillian™

They used to only grab my sun golds that were sitting at the top, not they are sneaking into the trellis and taking a pinch out of the really big ones . I prob have lost 20lbs.. Which in my small garden is a pretty big loss

Last edited by Imthechuck; January 4, 2016 at 02:21 PM.
Imthechuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2016   #729
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

How are everyones gardens doing? What is doing well and what isnt? How are your seedlings for spring?

Its a cold windy day in Florida... good day for everyone to update.... :-)

Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2016   #730
elight
Tomatovillian™

Seedlings were planted out after New Year's and are looking good. Varieties this year:

Big Beef
Sun Gold (back again, replacing Sunsugar)
Cosmonaut Volkov
Pink Berkeley Tie-Dye (new!)
Kimberley (new!)
Super Sweet 100s (back again)
Fireworks
Bundaberg Rumball
Green Giant
Black Cherry (back again)

I tried to stick mostly to hybrids and varieties with lower DTMs due to the short season. I also added cherry varieties because some animal is eating the fruit in my garden... it's painful to lose a huge tomato just before it starts to ripen. So far everything has germinated and has true leaves except Green Giant, which also took forever to germinate in the fall.

Also growing some peppers: Horizon, Datil (only one yet to germinate), Banana and Jalapeno. And two new varieties of lettuce: Little Gem and Red Butterworth.

Planning on planting out February 6-7 depending on the long-term forecast. Could delay a week. Haven't had a night even get into the 30s thus far.
elight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2016   #731
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

It's been pretty cold since I returned from HI. During the last week, I've been pulling up plants to get ready for spring. The weeds in my back yard are out of control with all the rain and not pulling any up.

Finally getting broccoli to set heads and the bok choi is amazing.

Last night/today, the wind is so strong. It knocked over all my Earthboxes that still had fall plants in them. I lifted some back up only to have them knocked over; so am leaving them down now.

For spring, I had started a few dwarfs on December 1; all did well inside window exposure, fan on timer, and water via wicking with old teeshirts.

New seeds planted the night before I left, had 100% germination rate, but are so splindly; I replanted one cell pack but left the others in the original cells.

----
Started new seeds on the 10th/11th. Very slow germination; I needed slow germination for when I was away.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2016   #732
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

All of my greens and lettuces are growing well. The sugar snap peas seem to be growing slower than I remember but the plants look healthy.

So far I have stepped up 144 peppers to 4 inch pots and have 88 more to go. That does not count the Rocotos that are already outside in 3 gallon pots. After thinking about it I regretted not growing the African Fish pepper so I order seeds for them. These are all still under my grow lights.

I decided to do something very different with the tomatoes this year. I normally start them in early January but sometimes I have to delay planting them out due to late cold snaps and they get a little too big. I decided that I would start them next week and I still think that will give me plenty of time.

We have had a lot of rain here and it is suppose to freeze this week. There is actually sun outside today and it is so good to have day that is not grey and gloomy. My soul needs sunshine and there have been to many days without it.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2016   #733
MarlynnMarcks
Tomatovillian™

I have oodles of peas in leaf, no pods yet. Romaine lettuce is high about 6" high but spindly yet. Am harvesting Homestead 24 tomatoes 1 every day or so. Blossoms on all others. Rampaos have very strong stems and 3 sets of true leaves. I planted -3 weeks ago are so large they them have bent over in the winds. Will transplant tomorrow. 2 Red Siberian are up but still have seed casing still on their tops. Planted them about a week ago. As I did with Bibb lettuce which is just barely peeking its head out. This is the first time I've planted tomatoes in the Fall or Winter and the first time in Florida at all. I'm still learning as I am from Michigan. Planted them out last spring and seedlings were so good and healthy. Then I learned about nematodes. Never had them up north because of the long freezing weather. Now I am growing in bags for the first time. Any suggestions would be helpful I grew beauties of every sort in Michigan but wonder what skills are needed here.
MarlynnMarcks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2016   #734
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrobbins View Post
All of my greens and lettuces are growing well. The sugar snap peas seem to be growing slower than I remember but the plants look healthy.

So far I have stepped up 144 peppers to 4 inch pots and have 88 more to go. That does not count the Rocotos that are already outside in 3 gallon pots. After thinking about it I regretted not growing the African Fish pepper so I order seeds for them. These are all still under my grow lights.

I decided to do something very different with the tomatoes this year. I normally start them in early January but sometimes I have to delay planting them out due to late cold snaps and they get a little too big. I decided that I would start them next week and I still think that will give me plenty of time.

We have had a lot of rain here and it is suppose to freeze this week. There is actually sun outside today and it is so good to have day that is not grey and gloomy. My soul needs sunshine and there have been to many days without it.
Kay I have started them in February here and they had plenty of time to grow and produce lots of tomatoes before the heat and rain and diseases took them down towards the end of June or into July.

So glad you got a sunny day... :-) and thats a lot of peppers!!

Ginny
Old January 17, 2016   #735
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
It's been pretty cold since I returned from HI. During the last week, I've been pulling up plants to get ready for spring. The weeds in my back yard are out of control with all the rain and not pulling any up.

Finally getting broccoli to set heads and the bok choi is amazing.

Last night/today, the wind is so strong. It knocked over all my Earthboxes that still had fall plants in them. I lifted some back up only to have them knocked over; so am leaving them down now.

For spring, I had started a few dwarfs on December 1; all did well inside window exposure, fan on timer, and water via wicking with old teeshirts.

New seeds planted the night before I left, had 100% germination rate, but are so splindly; I replanted one cell pack but left the others in the original cells.

----
Started new seeds on the 10th/11th. Very slow germination; I needed slow germination for when I was away.
Barb are you using a heaatt? I cant believe how fast everything germintaes with one and a higher percentage too I think.

Do you go to the same place in Hawaii each year?

Ginny