Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 23, 2015   #691
captnkirk
Tomatovillian™

[QUOTE=Barb_FL;520343]Must have been a different Barb. I've been at TV for < 2 years.

Yep sorry about that i was getting you mixed up with Marge.
captnkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2015   #692
captnkirk
Tomatovillian™

Ordered me this Ogrow Compact Outdoor Seed Starter Greenhouse Cloche With PE Protection Cover.Should have it tomorrow.Will have to be careful that i don't let it get to hot in there.I have a grow light i will use indoors then plan to move them on outside into this before final transplant.This could work for fall also if i put it in mostly shade and leave it open what do you guys think.

http://www.hayneedle.com/product/ogr...ctioncover.cfm
Old December 23, 2015   #693
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
I love PBTD but never really read anything too positive about BTD so I've never grown it.
What I don't remember about PBTD is how late it is. Same with GGWT. I've had 2 PBTD tomatoes so far; No other PBTD and GGWT are ready.
Another one that taste similar and much earlier is Large Barred Boar. Not a huge plant either.
DH and I did a taste comparison today with LBB and Black from Tula and LBB won hands down.---
Need opinion: Do you think it will be too late to start seeds for spring on January 9th? I already started a bunch of dwarfs on December 1.
Barb
Your weather is probably closer to that experienced by Ginny than others but next in line would be the weather I experience here in Orlando. From my experience Jan 9th would not be too late to start tomato seedlings. You should have them ready for transplant as early as the 1st of March and that would surely work for me. Last year I was a bit late and didn't get my transplants in until March 2nd but I still had lots of tomatoes. Of course I had some varieties that didn't do well but others did. However, because my seasons, both spring and fall, are on the short side, I try avoid varieties with dates to maturity 80+ days.
My opinion - you will be OK.
Larry
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2015   #694
captnkirk
Tomatovillian™

Default Spring 2016 started

Will be growing Red Rocket also just waiting on seeds.
Attached Images
File Type: png growout2016.PNG (800.0 KB, 76 views)
Old December 27, 2015   #695
jpop
Tomatovillian™

Not to hijack, but wanted to add this offer to others in south florida. Sowed some old leftover seeds that had better than expected germination and now have a number of plants that I can not give away. So the offer is to anyone in palm beach to dade counties including homestead as I travel north and south daily from Ft. Lauderdale and can drop off or meet to anyone interested. I understand not all the varieties are ideal, but they are old inventory and wanted a fresh start. They are ready for transplant immediately and would hate to see them fall off at a young age.

The varieties are as follows:
Big beef
Super Sioux/Sioux
Golden Queen
Virginia sweet
New big dwarf
Tasmanian chocolate
Heatwave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151227_155307_resized.jpg (335.8 KB, 63 views)
jpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2015   #696
MarlynnMarcks
Tomatovillian™

Default I live in Port St Lucie

Would love to have Heatwave and Big Beef if I'm not too far out of your way. I'd also love to meet a Florida tomato gardener as I am new at it here but was successful in Michigan.
Marlynn Marcks
667 SW Treasure Cove
Port St Lucie, FL 34986
772-626-7456

Last edited by MarlynnMarcks; December 28, 2015 at 02:27 PM.
MarlynnMarcks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2015   #697
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpop View Post
Not to hijack, but wanted to add this offer to others in south florida. Sowed some old leftover seeds that had better than expected germination and now have a number of plants that I can not give away. So the offer is to anyone in palm beach to dade counties including homestead as I travel north and south daily from Ft. Lauderdale and can drop off or meet to anyone interested. I understand not all the varieties are ideal, but they are old inventory and wanted a fresh start. They are ready for transplant immediately and would hate to see them fall off at a young age.

The varieties are as follows:
Big beef
Super Sioux/Sioux
Golden Queen
Virginia sweet
New big dwarf
Tasmanian chocolate
Heatwave
Those look great and so nice of you to offer. I already started way too many plants for spring but just wanted to say thank you for sharing!

Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2015   #698
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

JPOP,
I will be very interested in how your Super Sioux turn out. It is a variety that I have been tempted to try.
Thanks Ginny
Larry

Last edited by Zone9b; December 28, 2015 at 02:11 PM.
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2015   #699
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Hi Larry,

I quoted jpop's message and it is jpop who started Super Sioux, not me... :-)

Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2015   #700
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Very nice. Only in Florida .
The rest of country is too cold for tomatoes.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2015   #701
MarlynnMarcks
Tomatovillian™

I would most sincerely love to meet you and get a couple plants, but unfortunately my husband is wheelchair bound and I broke my foot. So it looks like I'll have to pass on your generous and thoughtful offer. Also, thanks for the call. I just picked up my voicemail.
MarlynnMarcks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2015   #702
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

That is a very generous offer JPOP, the very fact that you started the seeds, you grew the seedlings, then transplanted them to the pots is more than generous. I am sure no one would actually expect you to deliver them to their doorstep too!
You are a very kind person.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2015   #703
jpop
Tomatovillian™

Well I wholeheartedly believe and giving back to the local community and also appreciate your prompt response last month in regards to my inquiries. I did not anticipate such a successful germination with the old seeds but I'm pleased to see the progress. Also, I would hate to see these fall due to my inability to grow them as we all know on this forum they become like a family member or pet when sowed from seed lol.
Old December 30, 2015   #704
jpop
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlynnMarcks View Post
I would most sincerely love to meet you and get a couple plants, but unfortunately my husband is wheelchair bound and I broke my foot. So it looks like I'll have to pass on your generous and thoughtful offer. Also, thanks for the call. I just picked up my voicemail.
No worries. You have much more important things to attend to at this time. Good luck and I monitor these forums daily and will include my success or failure here after this spring. Currently I am fighting moths and whiteflies daily and AM determined not to let them win although it has been very humbling against there relentless effort.
Old December 30, 2015   #705
jpop
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
Those look great and so nice of you to offer. I already started way too many plants for spring but just wanted to say thank you for sharing!

Ginny
Thank you for the kind words and maybe this will be a future theme amongst the few on this forum that participate in South Florida. I know Marsha has a big event each year from her past postings and will try to attend the next one since its close by. Good luck with your spring grow.