Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 14, 2015   #661
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

I pulled all my plants and didnt take pictures of when they were really sick, but here is a plant I gave my neighbor. I started these seeds myself and it was really healthy but then it got the lime green/yellow curled leaves and then quit producing blossoms, then just fell apart. My neigbors havent pulled their plants yet.

Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2015   #662
kurt
Tomatovillian™

"I dont know how manageable this disease is, but i think if you live in Florida its just a matter of time before you experience it."

I had my dance with TYCLV early in the season(first germination)
I pulled all tomato plants that showed signs,yellow new looking growth but not the lime-ish green(normal new growth).I segregated the plants that had good growth.
Did a major radicalization of the whiteflys,their piercing/sucking/feeding habits transmit into the vascular system of plant.
I tried pruning one plant back to zero(stem only)but TYCLV came back in new growth.
Started a new germination after.
So far so good.
Just in case a third germination is in the ground with all TYCLV resistant mater strains.The constant rain and no pollen/fruit set is really making this a really lousy season.

Last edited by kurt; December 14, 2015 at 09:17 AM.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2015   #663
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
"I dont know how manageable this disease is, but i think if you live in Florida its just a matter of time before you experience it."

I had my dance with TYCLV early in the season(first germination)
I pulled all tomato plants that showed signs,yellow new looking growth but not the lime-ish green(normal new growth).I segregated the plants that had good growth.
Did a major radicalization of the whiteflys,their piercing/sucking/feeding habits transmit into the vascular system of plant.
I tried pruning one plant back to zero(stem only)but TYCLV came back in new growth.
Started a new germination after.
So far so good.
Just in case a third germination is in the ground with all TYCLV resistant mater strains.The constant rain and no pollen/fruit set is really making this a really lousy season.
Kurt, that's good to know that you are making progress. My biggest problem was lack of knowledge so I didn't even know I had it until every tomato plant in the park had it. I didn't pull any plants early on due to not knowing.

Which resistant varieties are you trying?

Ginny
Old December 14, 2015   #664
kurt
Tomatovillian™

So far my old standbys,the ones that were not affected at the first onslaught.
BHN 624,The Black Cherrys,Apero,Kumato,store bought Village Farms Cabernet Sauvignon,store bought Village Farms Celebrity#9, and the Garden Gem,Garden Treasure.
Old December 14, 2015   #665
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Ginny
Thanks lots for looking at and commenting on my pictures.
I have grown a couple of varieties which are said to be resistant to TYLCV.
I grew Goliath F1 indeterminate a while back but didn't like it much. It was very poor in standing up to Early Blight. Had a few large red tomatoes but they were quite blemished. If you don't have a EB issue you may do much better with it.
I am currently growing Champion II F1 indeterminate. This variety is working better for me than any other round, red, indeterminate variety that I have grown. Days to maturity from transplant said to be 70, but I was starting to get a few tomatoes in 60 days, large sturdy plant, produced a lot of tomatoes in spite of EB. Little over 100 days from transplant still has blossoms and setting some tomatoes.
Yaqui is a Roma F1 determinate is also said to be TYLCV resistant. I am planning to grow it in the spring. Tomato Growers Supply indicates that it is compact and a big producer.
Another variety from South Pacific Seeds looks interesting for our rainy and disease prown area. They write:
SAMURAI is a vigorous indeterminate roma for field production in areas affected by F3, TYLCV & TSWV. The medium large fruit have a roma shape and have shown good tolerance to weather marking under difficult trial conditions. The fruit are firm and glossy with very good uniformity.
Larry
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2015   #666
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone9b View Post
Ginny
Thanks lots for looking at and commenting on my pictures.
I have grown a couple of varieties which are said to be resistant to TYLCV.
I grew Goliath F1 indeterminate a while back but didn't like it much. It was very poor in standing up to Early Blight. Had a few large red tomatoes but they were quite blemished. If you don't have a EB issue you may do much better with it.
I am currently growing Champion II F1 indeterminate. This variety is working better for me than any other round, red, indeterminate variety that I have grown. Days to maturity from transplant said to be 70, but I was starting to get a few tomatoes in 60 days, large sturdy plant, produced a lot of tomatoes in spite of EB. Little over 100 days from transplant still has blossoms and setting some tomatoes.
Yaqui is a Roma F1 determinate is also said to be TYLCV resistant. I am planning to grow it in the spring. Tomato Growers Supply indicates that it is compact and a big producer.
Another variety from South Pacific Seeds looks interesting for our rainy and disease prown area. They write:
SAMURAI is a vigorous indeterminate roma for field production in areas affected by F3, TYLCV & TSWV. The medium large fruit have a roma shape and have shown good tolerance to weather marking under difficult trial conditions. The fruit are firm and glossy with very good uniformity.
Larry
Thanks Larry,

I will order Champion II from TGS and I also ordered Skyway F1 and Charger F1 both supposed to be resistant. I love love love Black Cherry so I will start several of those and also Kumato on Kurt's recommendation.

Other than that, a friend from another forum mentioned using Neem Seed Meal Fertilizer and I'm going to try that as well along with the sticky traps, foliar spraying etc because it is supposed to make the plants less desirable for sucking the juices I think. Plus I have been lazy and haven't been covering my SWC pots with plastic (just kept the leaves pruned up high enough which was sufficient before and allows me to grow lettuce and things with the tomato plants) but I will be covering them again to help keep the White flies and Fungus gnats from being able to lay eggs in them.

The bad thing is that I have 7 neighbors (RV park so we are very close) that I have provided pots and tomato plants to for a couple of years and they all have it too in their current plants. They love the tomatoes and the bonus was that it gave me more places to try different types of tomato plants. But I just don't really have the time and energy or money to supply them with sticky fly traps, neem fertilizer, drench their pots etc, especially because they don't want to pull their plants yet. Most are growing cherry types right now that are putting out a handful of tomatoes... (but not the 100's they would usually have).

So I have created a mess and have to decide if I am going to clean it up or not. Part of the issue is trying to explain to them about the virus. They are here for the winter and where they come from they just put tomato plants in the ground and they grow. They don't really understand why I fuss over the plants so much... :-)

Ginny
Old December 14, 2015   #667
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Just a quick note on the whiteflys.
Not only do they thrive on the maters they also love:
Banana Leaves
Palm Leaves
Ficus Leaves
Banyan Leaves
Oak Leaves
It would behoove anyone to take a gander to those undersides in your yard or environment.
I am almost ready to invest in a military grade flamethrower and go over to a neighbors house and annihilate his yard since he has a infestation that is causing my garden headaches.All his trees have solid white undersides of leaf infestation.It has caused a couple of us neighbors to actually file a complaint with our local governing agency and they have made contact with him regarding the issue.
Old December 14, 2015   #668
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
Just a quick note on the whiteflys.
Not only do they thrive on the maters they also love:
Banana Leaves
Palm Leaves
Ficus Leaves
Banyan Leaves
Oak Leaves
It would behoove anyone to take a gander to those undersides in your yard or environment.
I am almost ready to invest in a military grade flamethrower and go over to a neighbors house and annihilate his yard since he has a infestation that is causing my garden headaches.All his trees have solid white undersides of leaf infestation.It has caused a couple of us neighbors to actually file a complaint with our local governing agency and they have made contact with him regarding the issue.
Too true, and lets not forget broccoli and cabbage, which is the reason the ones that infect tomatoes are called silverleaf whiteflies. They turn cabbage leaves silver.
Kurt, there about 30-40 species of whiteflies here in S. Fl., so it may not be the ones on his trees, they also infest many weeds. Then again, it may very well be the ones on his trees.I know the ficus and banyan ones don't infect tomatoes, nor do the spiral type on the palms or bananas, and I know that from doing a great deal of research.
The tomato one is the silverleaf whitefly.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2015   #669
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

And Kale. I thought it was a lettuce. Nope!

Ginny
Old December 17, 2015   #670
Imthechuck
Tomatovillian™

I have experienced TYLCV before The plant looks crazy when infected
Not this year yet...... knocks on wood

Although there are plenty of whiteflies on various leaves

@marsha the girls weird plants are producing great!!!!!

They add such a great color to sauces, just processed 15 or so lbs of various tomatoes

The sweet ozark oranges that I planted seemed to get cross pollinated by my brandy boys and I've only gotten 2 orange ones buts its producing great!

lost the first few big ones to insects

Last edited by Imthechuck; December 17, 2015 at 05:49 AM.
Imthechuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2015   #671
Imthechuck
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imthechuck View Post
I have experienced TYLCV before The plant looks crazy when infected
Not this year yet...... knocks on wood

Although there are plenty of whiteflies on various leaves

@marsha the girls weird plants are producing great!!!!!

They add such a great color to sauces, just processed 15 or so lbs of various tomatoes

The sweet ozark oranges that I planted seemed to get cross pollinated by my brandy boys and I've only gotten 2 orange ones buts its producing great!

I just started my seeds for the next round and trying some of the ones you sent me; isis candy, boar, carbon, and rosyvi giant

lost the first few big ones to insects
Imthechuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2015   #672
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

I have come to a conclusion concerning the identity of the two larger tomatoes in my picture above in post #653. Ginny, your picture above was a big help. I had 1 Pink Berkeley Tie Dye plant left in the garden with 4 green tomatoes on it. One of them has ripened today and was an exact smaller version to the 2 large tomatoes shown in my picture. Therefore, I have to conclude the the tomatoes were PBTD.
All in all the PBTD was a fairly good tomato for me. It produced a number of tomatoes in spite of significant Early Blight. I saved PBTD seeds and hope to grow it again at some point in the future. Thank you Ginny for my original seeds. Also, thanks to all who helped in the identification of my tomatoes.
It is probably not new news, but I see there is such a think as Green Berkeley Tie Dye tomato. I noticed it in Tomato Growers Supply's new 2016 catalog, while I was looking for a picture of a PBTD.
Larry
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2015   #673
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone9b View Post
I have come to a conclusion concerning the identity of the two larger tomatoes in my picture above in post #653. Ginny, your picture above was a big help. I had 1 Pink Berkeley Tie Dye plant left in the garden with 4 green tomatoes on it. One of them has ripened today and was an exact smaller version to the 2 large tomatoes shown in my picture. Therefore, I have to conclude the the tomatoes were PBTD.
All in all the PBTD was a fairly good tomato for me. It produced a number of tomatoes in spite of significant Early Blight. I saved PBTD seeds and hope to grow it again at some point in the future. Thank you Ginny for my original seeds. Also, thanks to all who helped in the identification of my tomatoes.
It is probably not new news, but I see there is such a think as Green Berkeley Tie Dye tomato. I noticed it in Tomato Growers Supply's new 2016 catalog, while I was looking for a picture of a PBTD.
Larry
There is a just BTD- it is green, doesn't taste nearly as good, IMHO.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2015   #674
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

I love PBTD but never really read anything too positive about BTD so I've never grown it.

What I don't remember about PBTD is how late it is. Same with GGWT. I've had 2 PBTD tomatoes so far; No other PBTD and GGWT are ready.

Another one that taste similar and much earlier is Large Barred Boar. Not a huge plant either.

DH and I did a taste comparison today with LBB and Black from Tula and LBB won hands down.

---
Need opinion: Do you think it will be too late to start seeds for spring on January 9th? I already started a bunch of dwarfs on December 1.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2015   #675
captnkirk
Tomatovillian™

Has been a few years since i last posted on Tomatoville but have checked in a few times and have enjoyed reading this thread.This fall was the first time in a few years i put out some tomatoes.I had 4 in a raised bed and 2 in one of my old earth boxes.Was really happy with the production and taste of 4th of July from Burpee.The other one i grew out this year was Tribute from TGS which is a TYLCV resistant variety that did produce a lot of nice baseball size tomatoes with decent flavour to me.I didn't get the dreaded virus on any plants at all this year of the 6 plants i had out.Will be growing 4th of July again in the spring.I also have 3 BushSteak from Burpee that are about 8 weeks old that i am going to try and grow through the winter.

Meet the best of the staked tomatoes—a standout for exceptional taste, size and quantity. This surprisingly compact (20-24") plant is just loaded with large, flavorful tomatoes. Well-suited for a patios, small gardens and containers, the dwarf plants offer big meaty fruit (8-12 oz.) and early maturity.

Will let you know how they do for me.
captnkirk is offline   Reply With Quote