Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old June 25, 2015   #631
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Oh i was under the impression you cultivate them for profit. Yeah cardboard cloning easy. Just that yields aren't great. Plus its more work compared to grain spawn to get a good grow going.
Delerium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2015   #632
HydroExplorer
Tomatovillian™

oh, no lol

I write software for industrial automation for a living. I grow stuff for fun.
HydroExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2015   #633
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

After happily clearing out 3 tables of tomatoes we managed to fill up a table again. Tomatoes as of today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tomatoes_june800.jpg (94.3 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg tomato_table_june21.jpg (125.1 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg 2pound800.jpg (90.5 KB, 153 views)

Last edited by Delerium; June 29, 2015 at 12:18 PM.
Old June 29, 2015   #634
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

That's just beautiful!! Love it! I'm going through a family illness and the pictures of all those awesome looking tomatoes and other veggies always bring a smile to my face no matter what happens to be going on. Thanks for sharing. You definitely have a magical touch.

Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2015   #635
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Ginny! It's been a crazy drought prolific tomato year. These past weeks have been brutal temp wise for us but its making the tomatoes taste really good.. reaching temps around 107-110F. Our AC broke and its.. been torture! Sorry to hear about family illness we are sending prayers your way and hope for a quick recovery.
Old June 29, 2015   #636
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful display of hard work paying off.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”

Last edited by efisakov; June 29, 2015 at 05:37 PM.
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2015   #637
HydroExplorer
Tomatovillian™

Very nice
HydroExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2015   #638
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Wow dude those maters are huge and yet still so pretty. I'm so jealous. Teach me great Jedi tomato master The force is with those maters for sure.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2015   #639
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Ella & Hydro - Thank You

BigVanVader - You must feel the force! All my secret Jedi tricks have been shared in this entire thread. There is no one set path but many.
Old July 2, 2015   #640
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

The force compelled me to read back through this whole thread , I had previously missed the mention of your pruning technique that the kubota guy experimented with. Is that thread still around somewhere? If so I'd love to read through it. Also a couple more questions.

Do you graft all your plants to hybrid root stock now and if so which is your favorite?

Should I just buy some mushrooms at the store to start my first grow on cardboard? I will read Rootloops thread next as well.

Are Shiitake harder to grow than Oyster? I ask because I love Shiitake mushrooms so would prefer to start with them if so.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2015   #641
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

No idea if the Kubota pruning thread is still around. It was on Gardenweb probably around 2004-2008. The nice things about his technique is.. its a good method for pruning plants to increase air flow when things really get out of hand with plants.

No i don't always use a hybrid rootstocks to graft. I actually graft varieties i like to eat that are high yielding for the rootstock. I let the rootstock sucker so i can grow a 2nd vine from the rootstock to make it the 2nd variety for the plant. Also there are times i save thinned plants and graft them on to the petiole to save some varieties from going in to the trashcan (Redbarron ate crow for losing that bet awhile back). I always choose a tomato variety that does well in my area for the rootstock that has good disease tolerance. That's just my logic.. i don't see the point of using grafting rootstocks since tomatoes do great regardless if its grafted or not. I graft so i can utilize each plant to give me more variety. You could easily grow 2-4 varieties in one planting space so if you only had room for 10 plants you can grow 20-40 varieties depending on how many grafts on the plant. You just treat each vine variety as a single plant that shares the same root system and single stem it.

Shiitake is not harder just takes longer. Oysters on the other hand you are guaranteed to eat within several weeks.. where as Shiitake could take up to 45 days. Even longer if your doing logs.
Old July 5, 2015   #642
Ganado
Tomatovillian™

Lovely!

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Ganado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2015   #643
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Not Tomatoes but harvested some Squash today. Made spicy Kabocha Squash curry yesterday with malabar spinach(/with some of our super hot peppers) . I got a neat mutant albino version of the same squash around it. Might save the seeds and regrow it again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg squash_harvest.jpg (65.0 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg kabocha.jpg (128.4 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg kabocha_curry.jpg (80.0 KB, 80 views)
Old July 8, 2015   #644
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Amazing harvests! Beautiful!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2015   #645
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

I remember eating pickled squash as a child at friends house. I liked it. My mom never pickle squash. She fermented tomatoes, cucumbers, cabbage, eggplants, and peppers, but never squash. Do not know why. You always talk about other vegetables, not just tomatoes. I think it is great that you have such a great varieties of things growing.
I may try to pickle squash. Found some recipe online. Have you try to pickle it? If yes, any recommendations.

http://www.afarmgirlsdabbles.com/201...pe-quick-easy/

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote