Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old June 5, 2015   #601
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Hi Delerium,

Nice bunch of tomatoes! Fun to compare the size differences between the most recent photo of your daughter holding the tomato with the older photo in your avatar. Both your daughter and your tomatoes have grown .

Good luck with your (and my) water management this summer. Looks like the hot weather's going to be hitting us this weekend and into next week .

Anne
aclum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2015   #602
Hunt-Grow-Cook
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delerium View Post
Update Tomato Table
Best. Pictures. Ever. Truly adorable, the tomatoes are beautiful too.
Hunt-Grow-Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2015   #603
DSEVERANCE
Tomatovillian™

Nice. The orange kinda looks like a Kelloges Breakfast. What rootstock are you using these days?
DSEVERANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2015   #604
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Hunt-Grow-Cook! We love our maters. Dseverance those are indeed Kelloggs Breakfast - Yummo (they taste even better in our heat)! I always make sure i have a few plants of Kb.

Rootstock Big Beef

Last edited by Delerium; June 5, 2015 at 04:17 PM.
Delerium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2015   #605
DSEVERANCE
Tomatovillian™

Have you ever tried grafting to one of the interspecific hybrid rootstocks like Maxifort or Estamino?
Old June 6, 2015   #606
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

I've used Maxifort, Multifort and Beaufort. And out of those three I liked Beaufort the best which is the oldest of the rootstock varieties. Never tried Estamino - Anne & Bill are experts on Estamino. I won't be doing anymore grafting experiments because i think I'm quite happy with the results (combinations of my grafts) just using regular hybrid rootstocks. I haven't had to spray a single plant this year and they are all producing heavily for me. I might start doing some grafting soon to prep some plants for the fall.
Old June 6, 2015   #607
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Maybe you should start a Youtube web series showing how you go about getting your results. Your growing interest are so varied and successful I'm sure it would be a hit and helpful to us less accomplished gardeners. Just a thought. Wonderful pics, your little girl is too cute! My wife and I are having a little girl in October and I am already envisioning her holding up my maters!
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2015   #608
DSEVERANCE
Tomatovillian™

I did trials in the greenhouse with Estimino and Maxifort side by side and the difference was very noticeable. More fruit. Interestingly enough I grafted several Big Beef onto a Estamino this year. What are you having to spray for? We don't ever have pest problems with tomatoes in Eastern Washington. I graft simply for yield. We used to have tomato worms but I haven't seen one of those for decades.
Old June 8, 2015   #609
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
Maybe you should start a Youtube web series showing how you go about getting your results. Your growing interest are so varied and successful I'm sure it would be a hit and helpful to us less accomplished gardeners. Just a thought. Wonderful pics, your little girl is too cute! My wife and I are having a little girl in October and I am already envisioning her holding up my maters!
Congratulations! Man your going to love every bit of it. Take lots of pictures/videos they grow so fast before you blink an eye. I always look back at our old gardening videos when my daughter was smaller and it always makes me smile / laugh. We have some pretty funny clips i wish i could upload them here but i don't know how to pull the videos off my fb page.
Old June 8, 2015   #610
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSEVERANCE View Post
I did trials in the greenhouse with Estimino and Maxifort side by side and the difference was very noticeable. More fruit. Interestingly enough I grafted several Big Beef onto a Estamino this year. What are you having to spray for? We don't ever have pest problems with tomatoes in Eastern Washington. I graft simply for yield. We used to have tomato worms but I haven't seen one of those for decades.
I haven't sprayed anything this year but normally its just spraying for preventative measures. Especially foliage diseases (i just use neem). But here in california we also have nematode problems but i don't have that problem because the oyster mushrooms just kill them all.
Old June 13, 2015   #611
VC Scott
Tomatovillian™

Delerium:

A question for you. I have a source of free mushroom compost from a local mushroom grower. They use hardwood shavings and wheat bran as raw materials for their compost. They are growing Oyster and ★★★★ake mushrooms. They do not use fertilizer, herbicides or pesticides in their production.

When the mushrooms are finished producing, the raw material is placed in a big compost pile.

I am a bit concerned about the hardwood shavings as it might rob the soil of nitrogen as it decomposes. On the other hand, it might be decomposed already as a consequence of the mushroom growing process.

What do you think?
VC Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2015   #612
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

It will do wonders to your soil & plants. Use it.
Old June 17, 2015   #613
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delerium View Post
It will do wonders to your soil & plants. Use it.
Agreed, I have gotten good use from the little I use.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2015   #614
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Tomato Table seems to always be full. Doesn't matter if you give them away to friends and family the tomatoes keep flowing in. So many ripey ones outdoors but to lazy to go harvest them. Maybe today. Spotted some black varieties ripening in our heat - i bet they will be very tasty with the water restrictions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tomatoes_tv.jpg (124.6 KB, 81 views)
Old June 22, 2015   #615
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

I hope you making some salsa, sous, pizza and more.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote