Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 19, 2017   #586
HappyGardener23
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
Going out today...

AZ Gu K
CAN Ti L
FIN Ha A
FRA He Y
ID Cr B
ID Ol S
IL Bu B
OH Sl S
UT Br A

2 steps forward and 1 step back. Every time I send out a few packages, there's another request to join.

About 20+ to go, "maybe" by the end of next week.
Every time you post a list I search eagerly for my info.....but I'll be patient. Really I will. Here I am....being patient. Actually I'm going to a seed swap this weekend that I've waited for all year, so that should take the edge off (or so I'm telling myself).
HappyGardener23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2017   #587
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
I think I saw something that vaguely looked like my name... but wait.. I hope you wrote a correct name on the envelope? Our postal service used to be excellent.. no more... They no longer know how to chase mystery recipients like they used to in the eighties and nineties..

Correction -- "the sorting machines no longer chase mystery recipients..."

I don't think any human eyes actually look at our mail these days. It's all automated.

And Gary, don't be surprised if Imp's envelope shows up a month or two from now. There's some black hole in the New England postal circuit that causes mail to disappear for weeks or months, and then suddenly appear when you've given up all hope of ever seeing it...
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2017   #588
imp
Tomatovillian™

Gary, I sent the large bubble envelop with another envelope pre addressed, of the same size folded into it, a book of forever stamps, a pack of seed baggies and a little something-something .

I had been talking with MissS the night before I sent it, she was reminding me to do so. I do recall being at the PO as I had to buy the stamps yet and then pitch them in and seal the envelope up; the staff and other customers and I were all chatting about tomatoes, LOL!

Hope it shows up soon.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2017   #589
gardeninglee
Tomatovillian™

I received mine! The package was ripped and I probably lost a few packages but I still have about 20 seed packets. Thank you Tormato and everyone who donated seeds!
gardeninglee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2017   #590
Fritz77
Tomatovillian™

If you heard the news, it’s a sad day here in Italy. I have a reason to smile though: I got my package yesterday. It took the package only a week to get from the U.S. to my home in Italy. Not only: on the same day I also got more precious seeds from MissS!
This morning my kids said: “Dad, yesterday you looked more excited than you did last Christmas when Santa brought us the gifts!”. Indeed this has been the best Christmas ever since the whole thing lasted several months.
Many many thanks to Tormato, MissS and all you generous members of Tomatoville.
Fritz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2017   #591
bjbebs
Tomatovillian™

The Postal Service does try to make every attempt to deliver every piece. When a piece is damaged by automated equipment, they will wrap it along with an explanation as to why it might have been damaged. When they find mail that should have gone out much earlier, they break out their cover my butt stamp that says- Found In Supposedly Empty Equipment.
bjbebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2017   #592
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
I think I saw something that vaguely looked like my name... but wait.. I hope you wrote a correct name on the envelope? Our postal service used to be excellent.. no more... They no longer know how to chase mystery recipients like they used to in the eighties and nineties..
You stuck a mailing label on your wish list. I cut it off, and taped it onto the package.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2017   #593
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaGardener View Post
Gee, I thought I was doing well to be 10 months early!
Are you saying you want your package to be the first mailed back for the 2017 swap?
Old January 19, 2017   #594
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbebs View Post
The Postal Service does try to make every attempt to deliver every piece. When a piece is damaged by automated equipment, they will wrap it along with an explanation as to why it might have been damaged. When they find mail that should have gone out much earlier, they break out their cover my butt stamp that says- Found In Supposedly Empty Equipment.
Mostly. I've seen a couple of packages, out of many, many hundreds, that could only be cut by a single edge razor blade. Not a mark, or crease, or blemish, or anything else on the package, other than that small perfectly straight slit just big enough to peek inside.
Old January 19, 2017   #595
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

And, speaking of the post office, I'm hoping someone can check to see if first class domestic package rates are going up on Sunday.
Old January 19, 2017   #596
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardeninglee View Post
I received mine! The package was ripped and I probably lost a few packages but I still have about 20 seed packets. Thank you Tormato and everyone who donated seeds!
Unless you put a limit on what to send, that sounds like you may have lost more than 100 packs. I'll check to see what I sent.
Old January 19, 2017   #597
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Just one today...

NY Ru S
Old January 19, 2017   #598
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Taking a rest, while I go out and hunt down more 2" X 3" baggies.

I'm thinking of adding a new part to the swap, in order to streamline part of the whole. This would consist of 50 participants each sending in 50 packs of a single variety. These 50 varieties would be spread across about 25 categories. Most categories would likely have two varieties, a few would likely be one, and a few would be more than two. I'd have participants PM me what they would like to send, so as to keep it a mystery to the rest.

And, because the MMMM has kind of hit a critical mass (the same varieties sent out are being sent back in), most of what you have received, other than what's on the suggestion cards, wouldn't be the best varieties to send back in again. Hopefully we can have a bunch of different varieties for 2017.

Once I clear out my PM's (I'm always at about 995), I'll start a new thread for 2017.
Old January 19, 2017   #599
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGardener23 View Post
Every time you post a list I search eagerly for my info.....but I'll be patient. Really I will. Here I am....being patient. Actually I'm going to a seed swap this weekend that I've waited for all year, so that should take the edge off (or so I'm telling myself).
I'll have to see if you're a noob, or a semi-noob.
Old January 19, 2017   #600
twillis2252
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
Taking a rest, while I go out and hunt down more 2" X 3" baggies.

I'm thinking of adding a new part to the swap, in order to streamline part of the whole. This would consist of 50 participants each sending in 50 packs of a single variety. These 50 varieties would be spread across about 25 categories. Most categories would likely have two varieties, a few would likely be one, and a few would be more than two. I'd have participants PM me what they would like to send, so as to keep it a mystery to the rest.

And, because the MMMM has kind of hit a critical mass (the same varieties sent out are being sent back in), most of what you have received, other than what's on the suggestion cards, wouldn't be the best varieties to send back in again. Hopefully we can have a bunch of different varieties for 2017.

Once I clear out my PM's (I'm always at about 995), I'll start a new thread for 2017.

Gary,
Great idea. I would like to participate as I sent over 20 varieties to you in October. Would not know my seed quantity this season until harvest. I do have a nice inventory of varieties left over from '16 that I will be replanting this season. Best Wishes!
twillis2252 is offline   Reply With Quote