Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 16, 2021   #46
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Hello Ddsack,
actually, I wasn't quite right when I wrote that there wasn't a sign of ripening. In the morning the following day I noticed 3 toms on Start 1 (one stem only) started blushing. Start 2 and 3 are still as green as before. And I counted the numbers of trusses on each of them today: Start 1 - 8, Start 2 - 11 and Start 3 - 16.
Milan HP
Milan HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2021   #47
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

That's great, Milan! You should have some to eat soon! I noticed that my 2nd plant now has one blushing as well, plus a couple more on the first plant. But the tomato I brought into the house still is not red enough to taste test. So far, I have had about 6 mature Stupice fruit. I am waiting for a side by side taste test of the two varieties. I can see that Start F1 will be more productive, but not as early.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2021   #48
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan HP View Post
Hello Ddsack,
actually, I wasn't quite right when I wrote that there wasn't a sign of ripening. In the morning the following day I noticed 3 toms on Start 1 (one stem only) started blushing. Start 2 and 3 are still as green as before. And I counted the numbers of trusses on each of them today: Start 1 - 8, Start 2 - 11 and Start 3 - 16.
Milan HP

Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2021   #49
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Hello Ddsack,
Milan HP

It is logical that tomatoes will ripen later on a plant with more stems. No need to try it. The difference is whether one root feeds 8 inflorescences or 16. This will delay maturation. I do not understand why I would grow Start F1 on a few stems and lose one of its highest values - early. To speed up ripening, it is recommended to cut the plant behind the second inflorescence (Stupice). There is a smaller harvest, but the fruits are very early.
Vladimír
Old July 17, 2021   #50
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Milan,

Thank you so much for your comment. I really thought I had blown it, growing these tall tomatoes in 3 gallon containers, and that they were dying. I will give them some Mag/Phos today and see if that will revive them .

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2021   #51
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

My first Start S is blushing (barely). We have had a very wet, dreary July, but amazingly very little splitting, and only one Ruby Crush plant (in dirt) shows any Septoria.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2021   #52
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Hello Vladimir,
it seems to be logical but I have learnt that Mother Nature doesn't always follow our logic. Yes, I know you're skeptical about my observations (perhaps rightly so). So, I'll tell you and the others the latest news: Start 3 has developed some blush as well, unlike S2. Not very logical, is it?
Well, I just want to get some hands-on data to go by. Yes, anyone can object that the conditions are not identical. They can't be with living organisms, but I have tried to get as close as I can. I just wonder if there are other studies related to the same thing. I'd like to compare.
Milan HP
Old July 20, 2021   #53
Oliver
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
And that's exactly why! For me, Stupice consistently ripens tomatoes about 2 weeks before others. Since I have room for about 40 tomatoes in my front garden, why would I wait 2 weeks to start eating fresh tomatoes? It's true that when the better tasting mid-season tomatoes start to bear, Stupice gets ignored as a fresh eater, but I have not found an earlier tomato that tastes as good. With a short northern growing season, I can't wait to get a home grown tomato!
That's why I've been looking at early determinates like Stupice. I recently got some Jagodka seeds and am looking at getting some Start F1 seeds if I can. Just tired of August/September tomatoes every year.
Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2021   #54
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Hello Oliver,
I am not sure if Vladimir's scheme is still in operation, but if not, I can send you some. No problem at all.
Well, in my post I didn't say that the marks in taste the first S1 toms got (from me, of course) were 7.5 and 8 (on a 0 - 10 scale). Not really a bad school report for the very start of the season. There's a small flaw: 8 out of 10 of my first toms (no matter what variety) were cracked. Not badly, but still. I put it down to the cold weather spell they had to get through after plant-out and high humidity and temp fluctuations recently. It's never happened to me before, I mean start-of-season cracking.

Milan HP
Old July 21, 2021   #55
Oliver
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Hello Oliver,
I am not sure if Vladimir's scheme is still in operation, but if not, I can send you some. No problem at all.
Well, in my post I didn't say that the marks in taste the first S1 toms got (from me, of course) were 7.5 and 8 (on a 0 - 10 scale). Not really a bad school report for the very start of the season. There's a small flaw: 8 out of 10 of my first toms (no matter what variety) were cracked. Not badly, but still. I put it down to the cold weather spell they had to get through after plant-out and high humidity and temp fluctuations recently. It's never happened to me before, I mean start-of-season cracking.

Milan HP
Milan, that would be awesome if you could.
Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2021   #56
CrazyAboutOrchids
Tomatovillian™

Here in CT, I am having the WORST year of gardening I've ever had! The rain, the heat, seems like everything except my jalapenos are unhappy. Anytime stuff gets to blossom, we get a wave of heat and I get blossom drop. All plants are stunted, affected - EXCEPT Start F1!!!!

We have pulled over 30 fruit from our 1 plant. Fruit ranges from 1.5 oz to 2.0 oz but I have had a couple over that with the biggest at 2.45 oz. The size is perfect for snacking, salads, burgers or just sliced and eaten as is. They have what I would consider a 'true' tomato taste and pair well in a salad with some Sunsugars tossed in. I started 2 plats - gave 1 to a friend who lives about 30 - 40 mins south of us. He has lots of fruit but none ripened yet.

We are really enjoying our Start F1! Thank you for sharing with us!!!!
CrazyAboutOrchids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2021   #57
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Once I allowed Start tomatoes to ripen properly, I really enjoyed the taste. It's a productive and early tomato, and I look forward to growing them again next year.

Thanks again,
Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2021   #58
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
That's why I've been looking at early determinates like Stupice. I recently got some Jagodka seeds and am looking at getting some Start F1 seeds if I can. Just tired of August/September tomatoes every year.
Stupice is early, but it is indeterminate.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2021   #59
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Start S has been producing steadily for the last 1-2 weeks. It is a good tomato for sure. In its ~10 gallon tub, it provides mostly 3-4 oz tomatoes. There is some sun scald, so the tops of most tomatoes must be cut off. Sunscald has been an issue here this year with all of my regular-size toms. It also has some circular cracking. It reminds me of Early Girl, but about a week or so later here in zone 5b. Flavor? It has a good red tomato taste, similar to Early Girl (IMO). I would certainly grow it again if the seeds were easily available for purchase.

Last edited by Greatgardens; July 31, 2021 at 05:48 AM.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2021   #60
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

It rains every day (40 mm yesterday) and my tomatoes crack a lot. This also applies to Start F1, but this variety is usually able to heal the crack and does not mold like other tomatoes. Every loss is sorry, but without a roof there is nothing to do against excessive rain.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN3651.jpg (220.9 KB, 50 views)