Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 8, 2017   #46
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

They look different to me, Gardeneer. Malakhitovaya produced much smoother fruit for me, and the coloration was less stripey/streaky. The blush looked different as well. But of course, these things can be affected by growing conditions.

I believe ARGG is supposed to produce slightly larger fruit and be less acidic. Also, I imagine a TN heirloom would probably respond differently to environmental conditions than a Russian bred tomato. I haven't done a side by side taste test. Doing a "vs" growout should be very interesting!
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2017   #47
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

It is kind of funny how we look at tomatoes. I really don't care for green shouldered tomatoes - they just don't look right. Yes, I have read this thread many times.

Malakhitovaya Shkatulka is the only GWR I have ever liked the taste of. For me, the worst is Green Zebra - no disrespect Tom Wagner.

Yet, I like blue tomatoes. Helsing ★★★★★★★★ Blue is my favorite blue so far. I grew some Indigos last year, and they produced well. This year, I'm going to grow Dancing with Smurfs and Gargamel - how could you grow one without the other? And Purple dragon.

I guess I'm just sort of odd about green tomatoes - they just don't appeal to me.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2017   #48
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Krim View Post
Reading yesterday about the health benefits of citrus pith. We collect and freeze most of our orange peels this time of year for miriad of recipes. New recipe for next summer. TY
The pith contributes a lot of pectin, which is important to the texture of the jam.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2017   #49
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
It is kind of funny how we look at tomatoes. I really don't care for green shouldered tomatoes - they just don't look right. Yes, I have read this thread many times.

Malakhitovaya Shkatulka is the only GWR I have ever liked the taste of. For me, the worst is Green Zebra - no disrespect Tom Wagner.

Yet, I like blue tomatoes. Helsing ★★★★★★★★ Blue is my favorite blue so far. I grew some Indigos last year, and they produced well. This year, I'm going to grow Dancing with Smurfs and Gargamel - how could you grow one without the other? And Purple dragon.

I guess I'm just sort of odd about green tomatoes - they just don't appeal to me.
That is ok.

I'm learning to embrace green tomatos and green shouldered one's and the blues as their health benefits seem to be higher. Even nibbled a young tomato leaf to test the flavor. It was milder than expected.
Black Krim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2017   #50
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorbelly View Post
The pith contributes a lot of pectin, which is important to the texture of the jam.
Hmmm. Apple's are a pectin source too. Maybe multiple beneficial biochemicals in each.
Black Krim is offline   Reply With Quote