Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 22, 2015   #46
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by naseer View Post
Do you ever encounter a problem with cucumber beetles? This year they really ravaged my crop, reducing yield to less than a quarter of what I'd normally get. My bed is a very similar size as yours and also has just 7 cucumber plants.
I did not get cucumber beetles. I have squirrels eating my cucumbers and sparrows eating flowers of the cuces so they get destroyed that way too. We had lots of rain, they are not looking for water.
I sprayed cucumbers with Diatomaceous Earth (powder mixed with water) and liquid soap. And hot peppers to deter squirrels. All that is organic.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2015   #47
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

Lorraine blvd. Next street over.
When my parents moved there there were potato farms along rt 9.
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2015   #48
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I learned that a young pear tree limb,
loaded down with fruit,
takes a long time to snap,
even when that time is so long,
you think it's long past any chance of snapping.

Trmat
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2015   #49
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
I learned that a young pear tree limb,
loaded down with fruit,
takes a long time to snap,
even when that time is so long,
you think it's long past any chance of snapping.

Trmat
O, sorry to hear that T. My grandma always had fork looking sticks around to support some branches if they looked overwhelmed with fruits.

Old July 28, 2015   #50
lonedragonfly
Tomatovillian™

Even though I have been gardening for years I learned:

That I should really listen to everyone at Tomatoville when they say to spray for fungus BEFORE you actually have it.

Earthtainers make the tomatoes healthier, bigger, with more fruit, and much easier to maintain than the ones planted in the ground. Next year I will build more earthtainers and save the ground for other veggies.

Sometimes too much TLC is a bad thing.

Cabbage worms will multiply to 100 on kale if you mistake their eggs for green lacewings and let them hatch.

Patty pan squash are delicious, but take up a huge amount of room.

Hot peppers shouldn't be planted next to cucumbers, zucchini and squash because they will get too much water and eventually be shaded by the rambling squash plants.

If you spray neem for fungus, all the good bugs go away and you get an infestation of bad bugs.

You have to thin the raspberry patch or eventually you will have all green foliage and no berries.

Don't spray weed killer anywhere near tomatoes!

I should have started from seed indoors instead of buying seedlings at the farmer's market. My season is too short to have 2 inch plants in late May.

This forum really is a wealth of information and support! I am lucky to have found it!!
lonedragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2015   #51
taboule
Tomatovillian™

>> This forum really is a wealth of information and support! I am lucky to have found it!!

lonedragonfly,

Thanks for sharing your most helpful thoughts. Welcome to the forum, it sure is a nice place.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2015   #52
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

This season (just recently) I learned the important role of potassium (K) in tomato fertilizers during flowering and fruiting. After reading a lot of rave reviews on TTF, I had to find out "what is so especial/unique about it ?". The same goes for Tomato Tone and MG Tomato Food. I discovered that they all have one thing in common ; HIGHER RATIO OF "K" and LOWER RATIO OF "N", "P" being in the middle ground.
After many years of gardening this was something very valuable to know.
THANKS.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2015   #53
Dennyav
Tomatovillian™

What I learned is I should have joined TV many years ago and over watering will cause blossom drop!
Dennyav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2015   #54
BackyardFarm
Tomatovillian™

I have learned:

- I need to start my plants earlier. Don't listen to everyone who said wait, wait, wait. They're all growing Early Girl and I'm trying to grow heirlooms which include some later varieties.

- Also the cheaper shop light set up works just fine for starting plants inside. Don't buy the expensive one just because the guy at the hardware store says the plants will not produce fruit if they don't get the right light.

- Listen to the people who warned me about soil borne diseases and crop rotation!

- Don't wait around looking for spots to plant my extra tomato seedlings. Just sell them/give them to the neighbors and friends who asked!

- Buy Wall O Waters and frost cloth so I can experiment with setting out those later tomatoes earlier. And look into building a low hoop or moveable greenhouse (just do it already!).

- I need more earthtainers/boxes and swc. My tomatoes and peppers love them. The squash and cukes can go into the regular garden because they don't care.

- More flowers for beneficial bugs.

- Carrots really do love tomatoes. So does borage and basil.

- Fish Fertilizer and Tomato Tone ARE AWESOME!

- Cinnamon and bottom watering with weak chamomile tea really works for dampening off. (ZERO this year!)

- Take better notes and label everything better. Take more pictures.

- Clearance sales in late summer and fall are the perfect time to stock up on supplies for next year! But don't overspend/overbuy just because everything is on sale! (Ooops!)

- Experimentation is the best way to learn (and sometimes the most painful).

- Read lots of gardening books, blogs, and forums all winter so you gain lots of knowledge for more experimentation next year.

- Tomatoville is both awesome and terrible. Awesome because I've learned a LOT in just two weeks of reading! (like today I just learned to mix my DE with some water and spray it instead of trying to sprinkle it on the leaves and becoming frustrated when it spills everywhere and doesn't stick to the leaves. But if you have big leaves like squash it works great in an old parmesean container!)
And terrible because now I have a list of over a hundred tomatoes I want to try. And I haven't even read Carolyn's or Craig's books yet!

Edited to add: I also learned that I should really grow TEN of each seed I want to trial...so OBVIOUSLY I need a much bigger garden.

Last edited by BackyardFarm; July 29, 2015 at 01:49 PM.
BackyardFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2015   #55
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

I learned that I am NOT a great gardener. The great gardeners live in places like Texas, Seattle, and the South. They have way more challenges than I have.
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2015   #56
budfaux
Tomatovillian™

It's cool to save seed and grow favorites from the previous year.

Giving more space between plants.

Using the vertical cord support method correctly.

Popping open a brew as you're winding down the day in your patch.
budfaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2015   #57
KC.Sun
Tomatovillian™

Things I have learned this year:

-starting really old seed is possible
-self watering containers are awesome
-dense planting appears to be an option, so long as moisture and nutrients are constant
-Craig's dense seedling method to plant many tomatoes
- saving tomato seeds
- companion planting works really well
- tomatoes don't form if it's too hot
- don't plant on Mother's Day only to be followed by a hail storm
-suckers planted directly into soil does work and eliminates the rooting time
- growing eggplants can be just as easy as tomatoes
- I found awesome seed sources on tomatoville
- I found great gardeners that are willing to share their experiences here
- I learned that tomatoville might be really bad for me... I realized I'm a tomato addict
- Tatiana's tomato base is awesome, but I need to learn how to hide the credit card, I've currently bought more varieties than I can plant next year...so unless I figure out some solution...

Overall, everyone I've interacted on this site is great. I wouldn't have learned so much without everyone's help and input.
KC.Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2015   #58
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

K.C.Sun, you can learn vertical grafting and plant more tomato varieties that way.
TV helps and/but/or enables.

Last edited by efisakov; July 30, 2015 at 06:21 PM.
Old July 30, 2015   #59
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

K.C., I know first hand how addictive Tania's site is. I keep ordering seeds for tomatoes that I can't possibly plant in one year so I either put it off or start seeds and give away the plants, and then feel bummed out that I didn't get to grow it! Plus everytime someone recommends a tomato, I have to add it to my list.
I am learning to narrow down what has done well for me in the past, it's just that there are so many varieties out there. TV is the best!
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2015   #60
KC.Sun
Tomatovillian™

Efisakov,

It's so funny you mentioned grafting. I was just looking at the thread by delirium. I'm still lost though. I've been speculating how I can incorporate all the eggplants and tomatoes I want to grow in 1 season next year. I'm going to play with some suckers and see if I can get something out of it.

Sharon,
I've been starting seeds too and then I look and ask where am I going to put this?

I agree with you TV really is the best

There is another seed site: secret seed cartel/ I've been spending a lot of time there too. Tomatoes are dangerous indeed. I'm breaking the bank...sigh...the cost of being a foodie/tomato addict.
KC.Sun is offline   Reply With Quote