Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 7, 2015   #46
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyghost View Post
Worth, Is Green Giant the GWR you're trying to think of?
It may have been.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2015   #47
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
This is the only current source I could find for Captain Lucky seeds
I will have seeds again in Nov. (knock on wood) as I am re-growing again this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt456 View Post
I see I'm in good company as a fan of Humph. It's what inspired me to try several more greens year.
Awe thanks ,
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2015   #48
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

I knew you had it, but saw you were out.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2015   #49
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Lime Green Salad is a staple in my garden here in Atlanta. Very prolific.

My latest great GWR is Spears Tennessee Green - my single plant pumped out big tasty tomatoes last year, so this year I have 5 of them. Probably the best surviving slicer GWR in the Atlanta climate.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2015   #50
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine+twin View Post
A bosque is the cottonwood and willow forest along a river, any river, in the southwest. J&L Gardens is in Espanola, New Mexico (USA), a 300+ year-old Spanish-established village (now large town town) along the Rio Grand in northern NM. At 5590 ft (1705 m) above sea level in a high valley in the southern Rocky Mountains, it has cool nights and hot days in the summer, and a season similar to Denver or Colorado Springs.

http://www.jandlgardens.com

So, I said all that to say this: No, Bosque isn't the breeder's name, but it is the brand, so to speak.

Catherine (in northern NM at 7200 ft/2195 m)
Thanks for the information. Now both Cole and myself know.

Wow!!!!!!! That Lime Green Salad is something else. Will all those blooms produce tomatoes all at once?
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2015   #51
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine+twin View Post
A bosque is the cottonwood and willow forest along a river, any river, in the southwest. J&L Gardens is in Espanola, New Mexico (USA), a 300+ year-old Spanish-established village (now large town town) along the Rio Grand in northern NM. At 5590 ft (1705 m) above sea level in a high valley in the southern Rocky Mountains, it has cool nights and hot days in the summer, and a season similar to Denver or Colorado Springs.

http://www.jandlgardens.com

So, I said all that to say this: No, Bosque isn't the breeder's name, but it is the brand, so to speak.

Catherine (in northern NM at 7200 ft/2195 m)
I just saw that post. Thank you for the information. My vocabulary just got larger.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2015   #52
WhippoorwillG
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinAtlanta View Post
Lime Green Salad is a staple in my garden here in Atlanta. Very prolific.

My latest great GWR is Spears Tennessee Green - my single plant pumped out big tasty tomatoes last year, so this year I have 5 of them. Probably the best surviving slicer GWR in the Atlanta climate.

Scott, how does that flavor compare to Aunt Ruby's GG?

I know perception and likes vary, but I am speaking to the overall profile of the flavor and not an actual preference. ARGG comes across as complex and almost buttery, traits that I haven't found in the few others that I have tried. I need to add Spear's TG for next year.

Whippoorwill Gardens
WhippoorwillG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2015   #53
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Mark, I never succeeded in getting fruit off of ARGG. The plant always went down early in the season. Sorry, can't compare with STG.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2015   #54
a sunny day
Tomatovillian™

Starlight my Lime Green Salad plants didn't produce tomatoes from all those blooms at once. And I read somewhere (here on this forum from memory) that not all the blooms make it to produce tomatoes. But I'm not sure about that because I started my three plants a little late in the season to get some late tomatoes and the cold stopped them from showing their full potential.

ScottinAtlanta, I just looked up your climate in Atlanta and it says you have very hot humid summers. I'm glad to hear your Spears Tennessee Green plant did so well for you last year as I am planning to grow it for the first time next season (which is only a couple of months away) and we also have very hot summers.
a sunny day is offline   Reply With Quote