Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 1, 2015   #46
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Carolyn, as stated in a prev post in this thread, since I am starting my seeds in August, I should have fruit to get fresh seeds from by January or early February, which also will be time enough for you to get them to your seed producers, indeed, I could just go ahead and be the seed producer for these for you. No matter what they wont be ready for the January seed offer if you habe one yet, but could be readily available for the next one.
Well, I lost another post here so I'm not going to try to transfer any links, just to share with JLJ that the original post at GW about Selbos Ribbed red came out fine with all the pictures, but I also wanted to transfer a link to that Oliver song about "Considering the Situation" and that's when I lost this original post. I don't know why since for ONE post I have lnked up to 5-6 links with no problems.

About IS Heart.

Marina has enough seeds for me to offer in my Jan 2016 offer when Shawn takes over for me as to mechanics although I'll still be responsible for finding varieties new to all or most.

JLJ said he had already sent me seeds and Ginger you are also offering me some, and thanks to you as well.

But here's my concern.

I think all of you know that I send seeds to certain seed sites for trial and I want to do that with identical seeds from the same batch. To do otherwise means that different seed sites might well be getting slightly different seeds.

So I could set aside some of Marina's to send to one of my seed producers for seed production next summer as I see it.

But then I see no problem with getting one or two of my seed producers to grow out JLJ's and marsha's as well, but ONLY if they have the room to do so.

This past Spring I had so many varieties that needed seed production that I really had to scramble to get most of them out. And then one of my best seed producers in theMidwest, I may have mentioned this before told me that after three weeks of constant rain he's pretty sure he's going to lose everything, not just mine, but his as well and he SSE lists about 600 varieties. By choice I am no longer an SSE listed member.He also had first choice this year as varieties to work with, so I'm hoping that some of them will make it b'c choosing first he chose many that I thought might be the best.

Yes, I still intend to get my now very late 2015 offer up maybe towards the end of July, I have all the seeds but I have lots of work to do inventorying my seeds to see which ones from earlier years need to be deleted b'c of insuffient seeds. And I Will find time to watch tennis from Wimbledon, currently on for two weeks since I could not do that for either the Australian Open or the french Open b'c of the two surgeries and rehab.

So that's where I am right now with this IS Heart situation and any comments are welcome.

Carolyn
Old July 1, 2015   #47
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Well, I lost another post here so I'm not going to try to transfer any links, just to share with JLJ that the original post at GW about Selbos Ribbed red came out fine with all the pictures, but I also wanted to transfer a link to that Oliver song about "Considering the Situation" and that's when I lost this original post. I don't know why since for ONE post I have lnked up to 5-6 links with no problems.

About IS Heart.

Marina has enough seeds for me to offer in my Jan 2016 offer when Shawn takes over for me as to mechanics although I'll still be responsible for finding varieties new to all or most.

JLJ said he had already sent me seeds and Ginger you are also offering me some, and thanks to you as well.

But here's my concern.

I think all of you know that I send seeds to certain seed sites for trial and I want to do that with identical seeds from the same batch. To do otherwise means that different seed sites might well be getting slightly different seeds.

So I could set aside some of Marina's to send to one of my seed producers for seed production next summer as I see it.

But then I see no problem with getting one or two of my seed producers to grow out JLJ's and marsha's as well, but ONLY if they have the room to do so.

This past Spring I had so many varieties that needed seed production that I really had to scramble to get most of them out. And then one of my best seed producers in theMidwest, I may have mentioned this before told me that after three weeks of constant rain he's pretty sure he's going to lose everything, not just mine, but his as well and he SSE lists about 600 varieties. By choice I am no longer an SSE listed member.He also had first choice this year as varieties to work with, so I'm hoping that some of them will make it b'c choosing first he chose many that I thought might be the best.

Yes, I still intend to get my now very late 2015 offer up maybe towards the end of July, I have all the seeds but I have lots of work to do inventorying my seeds to see which ones from earlier years need to be deleted b'c of insuffient seeds. And I Will find time to watch tennis from Wimbledon, currently on for two weeks since I could not do that for either the Australian Open or the french Open b'c of the two surgeries and rehab.

So that's where I am right now with this IS Heart situation and any comments are welcome.

Carolyn
OK, I'll send them along to you Carolyn. My logic may be faulty, but Marina's, JLJs, and mine all came originally from your 2013 offer, so I think they are going to end up being the same or very close.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2015   #48
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

JLJ, your seeds to me came today. Many thanks for your generosity.

JLJ and Carolyn, your seeds from me go out in tomorrow's mail.
Old July 6, 2015   #49
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
JLJ, your seeds to me came today. Many thanks for your generosity.

JLJ and Carolyn, your seeds from me go out in tomorrow's mail.
And my seeds from JLJ also came today and I loved the comment about the fact that the "seeds were saved from the "heartiest" looking fruit.

Also sent were more seeds for Selbo's Ribbed Red.

Rough week for me here at Tville b/c it's the 2nd week at Wimbledon and so help me, even though my left hip is bothering me I WILL get down that stair to my LR to my recliner and the larger TV.

Yes, I hear in the distance that Federer has just started his match on Centre (British spelling) Court.

Carolyn
Old July 6, 2015   #50
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, not to change topic, but I do hope you're enjoying Wimbledon. On another note, if there is a "hearty" IS heart, I'd love seeds when you make your seed offer. I'm also planning on growing ISPL next year. I love the fact it's such a stocky, solid and productive plant. Hoping this year will be very productive.
Sharon
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2015   #51
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonRossy View Post
Carolyn, not to change topic, but I do hope you're enjoying Wimbledon. On another note, if there is a "hearty" IS heart, I'd love seeds when you make your seed offer. I'm also planning on growing ISPL next year. I love the fact it's such a stocky, solid and productive plant. Hoping this year will be very productive.
Sharon
Sharon, right now I don't know if the IS heart seeds will be offered in my now very late 2015 seed offer which I still hope to get up here in a few weeks, or in the 2016 offer which I hope goes up early in Jan of 2016. Right now several of my seed producers are having problems with what they are doing this summer, weather related, and those seeds are the new ones for the Jan offer although as you may know I offer seeds from previous years as well and those are the ones I need to inventory to see which ones I have enough seeds to reoffer and which ones I need to delete. I already have all the seeds for the 2015 offer.

Wimbledon has been absolutely fascinating this year with totally umexpected upsets, personality clashes. etc. and soon I have to get out there ASAP b'c late yesterday the match between Djokovic and Anderson was tied at 2 sets each when they had to stop b'c of low light. Anderson won the first two sets, D came from behind to even it up so now, today, they have to play the 5th set to see who wins the match/

It's a big deal since D is the defending winner at W and no one thought Anderson would have a chance.

Carolyn
Old July 11, 2015   #52
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
. . . So that's where I am right now with this IS Heart situation and any comments are welcome.

Carolyn
Carolyn, the Indian Stripe Heart? seeds I sent you are bagged seed from my 2013 Batch #1, which was grown from your January 2013 seed offer. Those Batch #1 seeds all came from the same tomato -- which was the 'heartiest' of the 2013 season. The seed Marsha planted in autumn 2014 to grow the plant that produced hearts in the last (hottest) section of its growing season and the seeds I just sent you are all seeds produced by that 2013 'heartiest' tomato, all taken from the same coin envelope which contained only seeds from that tomato. So if you grew plants from the seed I just sent you, you should have identical twin plants to the one Marsha grew in her 2014-2015 season, which produced hearts during the last part of her season. (To the extent that you think seed from the same tomato, which grew from a bagged blossom, is identical.)

The seeds Marsha just sent you are, as I understand it, seeds from the 'hearty' fruit that her plant, grown from that 2013 seed I sent her, produced in the last part of its season, so that would be one generation more selection. However, it was unbagged seed from a plant grown in the same Earthbox with an Indian Stripe PL plant. Probably a particularly strong and vigorous ISPL plant, as I think it was one she grew from seed I sent her from my best 2013 ISPL plant. She did not observe pollinators, but with two plants sharing the same earthbox there is more opportunity for a cross.

Of course, an Indian Stripe Heart? PL is surely not a bad thing, if it did happen, but it does confuse the IS Heart? issue a bit. Plants in the same earthbox could cross and produce seeds with diminished tendency to heart shape -- because of the shape contribution by the ISPL plant -- while having normal foliage -- because of the shy and recessive nature of PL foliage -- no way to really know until multiple generations are grown out in 2017 or later.

Hopefully that summarizes the properties of the two IS Heart? seed samples you've received from us.

I sent the seeds so you'd have them if you wanted them, but personally, I would not ask a producer to grow either of them, unless they just had a real interest in pursuing glimmerings of IS Heart shape . . . as I've said in posts above, this line seems to have hearty potential, but we haven't seen it grow a plant that produced a season of hearts as yet.

Of course, important information that will probably be available before you have to make a decision about seed for next year's producers is what sort of results Marsha sees when she grows her 2nd generation seed in her 2015-2016 season. And there may also be information about that 2nd generation seed Marsha sent out in her seed offer, or others to whom she provided it, who are growing it this summer. If plants from that seed started in and produced a whole season of IS Hearts . . . that would be great . . . and would then suggest that seed from that line might be ready to be produced for wider distribution. Even if it did maybe produce some PL plants in the next season.

The extra Selbo seed I sent because you said you might want it, and I wanted to be sure you'd have enough to send people enough seed that they'd get some plants, even if germination was somewhat low, as we saw in our original seed from Mike, and as I saw in the germination tests. I sure would be sad to see it promoted as primarily something to use in tomato development, though, as I think Mike values it as a great, and very unusual, little tomato in itself, with good reason, I believe.
JLJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2015   #53
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Just a quick response since the women's tennis Final from Wimbledon starts in 30 min and it should be an historic one.

I haven't yet received marsha's seeds as of yesterday.

When I list Mike's seeds I'm going to also give the original thread from GW b'c some really liked it as well as it being unique. And yes, glad for the seed you sent since it's so very true that even fresh seed has a low germination most of the time.

I think it would be great if from Marsha's seeds we ended up with a PL IS heart, why not?

So we shall see what the future brings.

Carolyn, just 10 min left to wheel out to the LR and the TV to see if Serena wins, or not.So I'm obsessed with tennis in general and it's a healthy obsession to have given the alternatives.
Old July 11, 2015   #54
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Just so everyone knows, might be helpful info, so far several have grown the ISPL and showed photos. It for sure has not been crossed with ISH, because the leaves are still showing as PL in every photo I have seen thus far. JLJ, I know you are a skeptic, but really, crosses just aren't an issue here.
Old July 11, 2015   #55
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Just so everyone knows, might be helpful info, so far several have grown the ISPL and showed photos. It for sure has not been crossed with ISH, because the leaves are still showing as PL in every photo I have seen thus far. JLJ, I know you are a skeptic, but really, crosses just aren't an issue here.
Those who have participated in my recent seed offers know that I've been offering both ISR and ISPL and in the Fall feedback threads some have shown pictures and both have been a credit to my seed producers since not ONE of them bags blossoms or uses isolation and they were spot on for leaf form.

So I get the impression that IS self pollenizes very well.

Actually of all the varieties I've offered lately, aside from low or no germination with a few, the only one that showed up with an offtype, just one person with that offtype that I can remember, was Pervaya Lyubov and that after I'd distributed several hundreds of seeds for it,'

Marsha, your seeds were mailed from FL on the 7th, and got here today on the 11th, so thank you, but since when has it ever taken FIVE days for anything from FL to get here ?

If we exchange seeds again perhaps I should subcontract to Jake up the road from me, to put him under subcontract to drive his ATV to your home, pick up the seeds and head back north and I bet he could do the roundtrip in less than 5 days.

Just one more day of tennis, the men's final tomorrow, and then it's to my to do list which is excruciating long. Knowing that I'm apt to grab a book I'm reading and just escape into what I really want to do.

Carolyn
Old July 11, 2015   #56
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

5 days is RIDICULOUS, I'm glad they arrived though. Very funny about the ATV trip. Made me smile. I'm glad JLJ got his measly 5 seeds too.

Speaking of mail, I just sent a package of dehydrated starfruit, and also mango from my tree, to a friend in Australia. According to their customs agency, fruits must be cooked by steam or canned to be safely sent. I only had a proper size and thickness cardboard box holding Sunkist Raisins (Costco sized), so I packed them up in that box. Then cut a brown paper sack and used it to cover the outside, taping the Sh-- out of the whole darn thing. I had to fill out a customs report, and since dried fruit probably hasn't been subjected to high enough temperature, I declared it as 2 novelty clothing items.
When I told this to my Australian friend, he said," I hope those novelty clothing items are my size!!!"
I wonder if it will actually get there?
Old July 11, 2015   #57
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

I suspect the slowness in mail is due to the budget cuts and closures and reduced hours in many smaller post offices. Our largest area post office no longer is allowed to sort the new incoming mail, instead it's trucked off 200 miles to a larger processing center to to sort (goodby to next day receipt of local mail). So larger centers are getting more unsorted mail, and probably no extra staff to take care of the load.

I was astounded by how fast I received some Poldark series used books from England last week. Ordered on Amazon from a book store in England, took exactly one week from the day they notified of shipping. I figured it would be a month!

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2015   #58
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
I suspect the slowness in mail is due to the budget cuts and closures and reduced hours in many smaller post offices. Our largest area post office no longer is allowed to sort the new incoming mail, instead it's trucked off 200 miles to a larger processing center to to sort (goodby to next day receipt of local mail). So larger centers are getting more unsorted mail, and probably no extra staff to take care of the load.

I was astounded by how fast I received some Poldark series used books from England last week. Ordered on Amazon from a book store in England, took exactly one week from the day they notified of shipping. I figured it would be a month!
Dee, here's the situation where I now live. The large regional USPS center is close to Albany. There are non USPS paid contractors who transport the unsorted mail to the smaller PO stations where the unsortd mail is then sortd by our local carriers for their routes.

I know when Donna should be at my home with my mail very well, and if earlier, it means that mail truck was early and if late I know the mail truck was late. just last week Donna was wayyyy behind and said the mail truck delivered the mail for our area elsewhere and Donna and I don't know who else had to drive about 50 miles one way to being it back. I will not share with you her "flowery" language when telling me that.

If the local carriers don't get back tothe local station by a certain time they have to drive all the way to Albany with the incoming mail they picked up on their routes.

The box outside the station that said local delivery was removed several years ago so everything I send goes to Albany and if local back from Albany to here.

I really would like to buy those new tomato stamps, but who knows if they will have them here locally. I can look at the USPS site and see what's new with 1st class Forever stamps as well as the more expensive GLOBAL ones, but it doesn't mean they will be available locally. it's important to me b'c with my seed offers I pay postage for those in every country except the US, and for US folks it's just an SASE with one stamp that's needed, plus the one stamp for the envelope that has the SASE in it.

My two wonderful local subs will never be permanent USPS b'c then the USPS has to pay for med insurance, etc.

Carolyn