Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 15, 2013   #46
Cindyb1969
Tomatovillian™

I've never seen grasshoppers in my yard or near my tomatoes until today.....after seeing this topic in my unread pile for days. I've seen 4 today in my small raised bed. My suburbia doesn't allow chickens, so I'm going to try the molasses and soap now before they get bad....unless they already are. I'm north of Dallas.
Cindyb1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2013   #47
tedln

Cindy,

We are sixty miles north of Dallas in the country side. I typically see hundreds of them each day. If you live in one of the suburbs like Carrolton or Lewisville, you may only see a few occasionally. Our Son and his family live in Coppell and he doesn't see any in his garden. They don't do well in areas that are paved with asphalt and concrete and the lawns are covered with insecticide. Grasshoppers prefer the wide open spaces with a lot of bare dirt. If you only see three or four, it shouldn't be a major concern.

Ted
Old June 16, 2013   #48
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

For SVB I spray some food grade DE on the stem of the plant all around the bottom up about 2-3". I did not have one SVB in my squash this year. I didn't even see one at all so I am hoping the DE did the trick and I will try it again on the next planting.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2013   #49
Cindyb1969
Tomatovillian™

Tedln,
I'm in Frisco. We have plenty of pavement, but I'm still near plenty of farmland as well as I'm near the edge of the suburb. We're not as built out here as they are in Plano, Carrollton, etc. plenty of neighbors use the lawn services that spray chemicals de suburban lawn, but not us. I'm probably their oasis with my lush veggie garden. Hopefully the grasshopper population is more limited here, though!
Cindyb1969 is offline   Reply With Quote