Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

SETTFest™ event information and discussion forum. South East Texas Tomato Fest

Old September 4, 2007   #46
MsCowpea
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the reply.

Alfalfa certainly seems to be an excellent addition. I remember googling it once and reading about it's particular qualities and benefits. Charles Wilber uses it under his thick layer of straw mulch. I also bought corn meal to sprinkle on top as a possible fungicide aid (not to really use as a fertilizer) but forgot all about it in the shed and it got totally infested with pantry pest weevils. I will have to get some more.

My raised beds have been such a pain lately. Can't stay ahead of the weeds in the beds that don't have a cover crop. I also add horse manure and bedding every season and grass on top--I was late doing it but it is done now and hope it will smother the weeds. Even the cover crop is hard to deal with--sunn hemp is like sugar cane with thick stalks. Probably 8 feet tall, not easy to chop up or incorporate into the bed. Next year I may not let it grow so tall or try something else.

"When we kill off the natural enemies of a pest we inherit their work."
Carl Huffaker
Old September 5, 2007   #47
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Can't you use Preen or some other pre-emergent (a germination inhibitor rather than an outright herbicide) in your garden beds at the beginning and end of your season? I admit I haven't read much on it.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
Old September 23, 2011   #48
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

Hope you don't mind, but I'm bumping this thread from 2007 - simply because I enjoyed it so much. It may be a re-hash for you old timers, but for us relative newcomers it's a delightful and informative read.

Thanks to Feldon and Suze for their insights! BTW, what a garden
Old September 26, 2011   #49
kenny_j
Tomatovillian™

Thanx for bumping 41, my favorite thread read to date. It is incredible how much I have learned about gardening reading this forum the last month or so. One question, what is "not berkley tie dye"? I've seen the "not" several times in front of variety names. Is it a specific variety, or a planting that did not come true?
Old September 26, 2011   #50
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Seeds of Berkeley Tie Dye were planted, but the resulting fruit didn't match the known description of what the fruit should be. Sometimes it's worth saving the seed of these unexpected crosses or off-types.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
Old September 26, 2011   #51
kenny_j
Tomatovillian™

Thnx Feldon, I have some "not Stupice" RL seeds I am saving, LOL.
Old May 6, 2013   #52
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

It's past time for the annual bump of this inspirational thread!

Thanks to Suze and Feldon for the post,

Steve
Old May 6, 2013   #53
chalstonsc
Tomatovillian™

Suze,
How big a plant is Monomakhs Hat?
Old May 6, 2013   #54
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalstonsc View Post
Suze,
How big a plant is Monomakhs Hat?
I'm not Suze, but I want to say it was typical for oxheart/plum/whatever varieties in that the plants are on the small side. Tatiana's tomatobase seems to back that up with its "semi-det" label. http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Monomakh's_Hat

Old May 7, 2013   #55
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Nice thread, I was just thinking about Suze.
Old May 7, 2013   #56
chalstonsc
Tomatovillian™

Feldon,
Thanks very much. Can you compare to Danko re: productivity and taste?
Old May 8, 2013   #57
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Feldon,
Sorry I've never even heard of Danko.

Old May 8, 2013   #58
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Feldon,
I'm answering since Feldon didn't know Danko.

I've grown both the hat one, link above, which is a pink heart as well as Danko, link to tania's page for it below:

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...b=General_Info

Danko is a smaller heart than the other one and I think production is greater with Danko. Plants of Danko are smaller than the other one.

Taste? I think I prefer the taste of Danko, but you'd have to see for yourself.

If on that page if you click on seed availability you'll see that several places sell the seed for Danko and probably the same for M one ( can't remember how to spell it right now and too lazy to go back up and check).

After I got the initial seeds for Danko and had lots of saved seeds from those initial plants I sent it to many seed sites for trial and also offered it here in my annual seed offer for several years

I don't think the picture at Tania's page is all that representative of what the Danko hearts look like, which for me wee more "hearty" looking, if you will .

Summary? I think both varieties are excellent and only by growing both in the same season will you know which one you like best.

Carolyn
Old May 9, 2013   #59
chalstonsc
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn,
One person you sent Danko to years ago was me. Thanks for the comparison.
Tom
Old May 10, 2013   #60
matilda'skid
Tomatovillian™

This thread came up at just the right time. I am planting all the Indian Stripe and C Tex plants I grew from seed even spindly plants and bumping some others. This is such a useful post.