Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 13, 2006   #46
Grub
Tomatovillian™

The Bully Board. Lol. I like that.

Looks like great fun.

I'm in. Yaaaahhhh.
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2006   #47
bully
Tomatovillian™

Yeah it was a great trip ..even though I got stung by a jelly fish ..my third time, dang things love me. I didn't let it slow me down, although it got me pretty good...Mrs. Bully had to heat up a needle and drain this giant blister about 4 times...anyone want to see pictures of that?
bully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2006   #48
daylilydude
Tomatovillian™

EEWWWWWWWWW!!!
Old December 13, 2006   #49
bizzarbazzar
Tomatovillian™

bully, out of due respect...please do not post a photo of that! However, it does scare be a bit, that you may actually have a photo of that! Sounds painful however, and I hope you are healing well.
bizzarbazzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2006   #50
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bully
Yeah it was a great trip ..even though I got stung by a jelly fish ..my third time, dang things love me. I didn't let it slow me down, although it got me pretty good...Mrs. Bully had to heat up a needle and drain this giant blister about 4 times...anyone want to see pictures of that?
I Do I Do I Do ,ME ME ME I Do I Do I Do ME ME ME !!!!

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2006   #51
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like everyone wants to wrap their arms around Bully, even the Portuguese Man 'o' Wars.

Now, I think you are going to hate me for this, but here's my theory re the Italian tomato and the family going back to Italy to get fresh seeds each year to make sure it's not crossed.

I'm speculating that the tomato is a hybrid and the F1 didn't grow true so taht is why they buy fresh seed every year.
Old December 13, 2006   #52
bully
Tomatovillian™

Your theory could be spot on.
I kind of figured they were the uber wealthy type that weren't into seed saving and brought the seeds back and made the gardener do the rest.8)

I had a pretty close call with a with an even nastier bloke than the jelly.

I was playing around with my daughters snorkel set, it was a bit big on her and more than a bit tight on me.
I was goofing around out past the breakers and was curious how deep the water was so I put my arms straight up and dropped down feet first. I hit the sand and shot back to the surface, I figured it to be about 9-10ft give or take.

Then for no reason at all I decided to dive down in the same spot, the sand was still settling where I stepped and about 3 inches to the right of that was a sand brown stingray coming out of the sand where it had buried itself.

Wheew I got lucky!! it was about the size of a dinner plate.
I followed it for a minute or so, it was really incredible, like looking a million years into the past.
I saw a guy coming out of the ocean with full snorkel gear about an hour later, I told him about it and he said I had little to worry about that the stingrays can sense you and it was unlikely that I could have stepped on him.

I hope he's right although when I looked it up in a book at home it said that they were a real bane to swimmers and that people step on them frequently...not sure who to believe.
Old December 13, 2006   #53
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Your book is right. Just don't cuddly them like our late mate. Where did you holiday, BTW?

Finbar (remember him?) is living in Italy and did a search and the only tomato he could find from that area or with that name appeared to be a hybrid. But I'm only speculating on what you have.

Back on the jellyfish front, sometimes in the right weather their populations explode in our estuarine rivers. There ain't no better set of training wheels when you are learning to waterski or aquaplane. You won't fall off. If you do, you pee yourself as the jellies change direction and home in on your body heat.
Old December 13, 2006   #54
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

I reckon that jellyfish mistook you for another jellyfish and was just being amourous.
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2006   #55
bully
Tomatovillian™

Sure I remember Finbar, great guy.

So he found a tomato named Curcio from that region and it appeared to be a hybrid, that is interesting.

I just went and looked at the seeds, they are in tinfoil and don't have a process look, you know what I mean they have a fair bit of the dried sac around them.

I'll ask my brother in laws life partner.(.jeesh) and see if they came from a pack.

I did get stung in the face once but they had vinegar (at least I hope that's what it was) on the dive boat and I sprayed myself with that and it wasn't near as bad.

Then there was the time my mother in law bumped me into fire coral but that's another story.

we were down in Mexico, In Cancun for 3 days and Playa del Carmen for 7..they asked about you at Sr. Frogs
Old December 13, 2006   #56
Grub
Tomatovillian™

At the ausgarden.com forum under edibles re Italian tomato he wrote:

Quote:
Ciao Zia P. Haven't heard of it. I did some Googling in Italian. The only reference to it seemed to indicate that it might be a hybrid. I also wonder about the Belmont part of its source. I couldn't find any reference to a Belmont in Calabria. Unsurprising, because it doesn't sound very Italian. But I'll keep hunting.
So I was guessing maybe it is. Just a maybe. But they sound like nice home-saved seeds. Which is a better indicator for sure.

Did you eat the free salsa, drink the local beer, tap your toes to the mariachi band, and eat mahi mahi or something local?[/quote]
Old December 14, 2006   #57
bully
Tomatovillian™

Hmm I may have to call her.
If I straight out ask her in an email she may take it wrong and I don't want to waste the time typing and explaining hybrid and OP...blah blah I'm a much better communicator with the spoken word..although you do very well, almost like you've had plenty of practice.

I sampled many a frosty beer and made sure the lime was there to ward off scurvy.
The food was great, I took it a step further and instead of eating just the authentic Mexican food I was eating traditional Mayan dishes.

My brother in law doesn't like the musicians that keep coming around so he would tell them "No e gusta musico"
or something like that...meaning I don't like music.

i love those guys and always have them play..especially if they have a trumpet.."share the wealth" I say.

I was drinking their version of "happy juice" which is made with limes, sugar and rum instead of sugarcane alcohol, which they said was too expensive to get.

I'll have to look I think I have a picture of it
Old December 14, 2006   #58
Grub
Tomatovillian™

You make me hungry. And thirsty. I have been growing a lime in a half wine barrel and they say it will produce fruit in its second year. That's this year. And it has limes about half-size now.

The limes will be ready in late summer. The tree is right alongside the patch near the dappled light of a large palm. I plant to crack the tops of some Coronas, pull a lime from the tree, slice it and toast my tomatoes just metres away.

I'll show you in due course
Old December 28, 2006   #59
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Ok, Bully, that explains it. They're hybrids so the only way to get them is to fly halfway around the world. :-) You need to introduce her to Faux. She'll swoon, and it will save her a lot of money. LOL.
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2007   #60
bully
Tomatovillian™

I got a hold of the lass via web cam/ phone.

And we had a good chat.

The seeds are in fact saved from the garden in New York

However, they return to Italy very now and again for seeds from their hometown to make sure they don't get a cross.

She insists that it is not a hybrid and is in fact a family heirloom.
large and ugly with wonderful flavor....time will tell.

Bully