Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 6, 2015   #46
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
My 6 favourites are

Brandywine cherry
Super snow white
Dr. Caroline pink
Ambrosia gold
Reisentraube
Helsing ★★★★★★★★ blues

I do not like cherries for anything other than fresh eating or the occasional toss with pasta. Too much seed to flesh ratio for me and cooked seeds can make a sauce taste bitter imo.
KarenO
This year I grew Pachino. I really didn't find it that sweet, and seed count was low for a cherry. It probably would make a good sauce.
I keep descriptions for all my seed and this is what I dug up for Pachino
Pachino - Famous Italian heirloom yields intensely flavorful, shiny red fruits slightly larger than a cherry
tomato. A sought-after gourmet treat, fresh or dried. Indeterminate. 68-75 days from transplant. OP
If you’re looking for some of the sweetest, firmest, shiniest tomatoes with a long shelf life to boot, you need
the small, red, juicy cherry tomato from Pachino, Sicily. Plants are very hardy and will overwinter in mild
winter areas. It is also one of the hardest varieties to find as farming conglomerates in Sicily tenaciously
guard the distribution of the seeds.The Pachino was first cultivated in 1925 but didn’t become popular until the
1970s. Now it is so treasured that a few years ago, Italy granted IGP status—a designation similar to the D.O.C.
designation for wines, which certifies that at least part of the production of a product is from a specific region.
Since the 1970's, it has been the tomato of choice for fresh use in salads, or used in pastas, pizzas or
vegetable soups. In Sicily, tomatoes are dried in the sun or conserved in oil. The dried tomatoes make great
bruschette and tartines. They can be used in pastas, with boiled meats or to flavor sauces. Indeterminate. 70 days.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2015   #47
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Sungold
Black Cherry
Lemon Drop
Remy Rouge
Lucky Tiger
Sweet Aperitif

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2016   #48
OldHondaNut
Tomatovillian™

I would certainly grow Porter because they have canning attributes.

Then Large Red cherry for volume and OK taste + Gardeners Delight for a sweet snack.

That would cover you for sauces to salads.
OldHondaNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2016   #49
MarlynnMarcks
Tomatovillian™

The sweetest I've ever grown and most prolific is Sweet 100. At the height of the summer season I litereally filled buckets with them. They all cracked at once, but I was cooking them at that time for the sweetest and most wonderful sugo in the world.
MarlynnMarcks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2016   #50
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I'd grow Pink/Purple/Sunrise bumblebee, Pink/Green Tiger and maybe throw in a Zluta Kytice for good measure. I'm sure this list will change as I grow more. I grew a lot of cherries last year and those were by far the stand outs in production and flavor. They aint bad to look at neither
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2016   #51
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

What happened to Ambrosia Red? Everybody was raving about it the last 12 -24 months or so and nobody listed it. I'm growing it now (seedling stage still) but if it's not that good I might drop it as I need to cull a few.

Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2016   #52
ChiliPeppa
Tomatovillian™

Drew51, where did you get the seed for Pachino?
ChiliPeppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2016   #53
tedln

For me this year, it will be Cherry Husky Red, Super Sweet 100, and Cherry Falls.

Husky Red Cherry did very well for me last year in production and taste. It produced early, through the high heat of summer; and into the first frost of fall. It also was only a moderately tall plant with a lot of side branches.

I've never grown Sweet 100 or Super Sweet 100. I wasn't sure which to grow, but normally when something is labeled "super", it means something was improved over the previous version, so I am growing the Super Sweet 100.

I've never grown Cherry Falls, but I am always looking for a cherry tomato plant that keeps a low profile, produces abundantly, and tastes good. I use that type of plant as a decorative tomato plant that also produces a usable product. Cherry Falls supposedly drapes over the edge of containers and produces long trusses of very good, moderately sized red cherry tomatoes. I will plant a few in the garden and more in containers to use as decorations around the house.

This will be the first year in many that Black Cherry will not be growing in my garden. I hope I don't regret it.

Ted
Old January 12, 2016   #54
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

If it's four to six varieties, then this is my choice list...

Gardener's Delight (prolific, and tasty!)
GoldKrone (also very prolific)
Ildi (grows like crazy and also tastes good, not as sweet as the previous)

Hybrids:
Sweet Million - very sweet
SunGold - relatively early, and the taste is unique (not everyone's favorite, but I can understand the cult status)

I don't really have lot of experience with any of the darker cherries, so I can live without them quite cheerfully.

Last edited by NarnianGarden; January 12, 2016 at 05:49 PM.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2016   #55
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Porter is our first favorite, and for me and my wife it fits into the "Now, that's what a tomato is supposed to taste like" category.

Sungold is liked by everyone we grow for.

Red Ambrosia is a good sweet red one.

Oranje Van Goeijenbier produced good tasting orange tomatoes during a 73" rainfall year.

Matt's Wild Cherry is tasty and plentiful.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2016   #56
whistech
Tomatovillian™

I am only growing one cherry tomato this year again and it is Porter. There are ones that are probably tastier but I like the Porter tomato and it is super productive for me.
whistech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2016   #57
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

I like SunSugar better than sungold. Brighter color and less cracking. I grew Koralik last year and thought it was a dandy taste! Going forward, I'm growing several of Freds this year, Blush, and a few Bumblebees, and oh, Maglia Rosa.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2016   #58
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

I am happy to see Galina's Yellow and Blush mentioned by others. I have seeds for both...and might plant in 2016. I like the taste of Sungold...they just split quite a bit in my garden. Black Cherry is my go-to cherry now.
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2016   #59
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

One that i tried for the first time last year that the whole family loved was Brandywine Cherry. It was a large meaty cherry with great flavor. Now that i think of it i will have to plant a couple seeds for my wife.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2016   #60
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedln View Post

I've never grown Sweet 100 or Super Sweet 100. I wasn't sure which to grow, but normally when something is labeled "super", it means something was improved over the previous version, so I am growing the Super Sweet 100.

This will be the first year in many that Black Cherry will not be growing in my garden. I hope I don't regret it.

Ted
Super sweet is just a version of sweet 100 that is more disease resistant and less prone to cracking.
Sweet 1 million is even more disease resistant than super sweet.

As for the Black cherry Comment, you will.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote