Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 7, 2017   #571
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

If you're buying a gallon, you basically pay the same whether you buy direct with free shipping or through Amazon and pay for shipping.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2017   #572
b54red
Tomatovillian™

When I buy a 4 gallon case the shipping is around 25 dollars so I save a bit per gallon that way. I guess shipping prices vary greatly depending upon where you are. I ordered something from a dealer in California that cost less than 50 dollars and the shipping was nearly 60. It can pay to check shipping charges before clicking. I find some of the worst offenders in shipping costs are some of the seed sellers.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2017   #573
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
When I buy a 4 gallon case the shipping is around 25 dollars so I save a bit per gallon that way. I guess shipping prices vary greatly depending upon where you are. I ordered something from a dealer in California that cost less than 50 dollars and the shipping was nearly 60. It can pay to check shipping charges before clicking. I find some of the worst offenders in shipping costs are some of the seed sellers.

Bill
Shipping to me (East Central Florida) for the 4 gallon case is $36. It still saves about $6 per gallon. What I have done the last two times, is to mix and match the products.
To do this, just order a single product and then follow up with an email of products you want. One of my orders had 4 different products and the other time had 3.

Worth - I would think with you being only 160 miles away, the shipping charge would be a lot less.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2017   #574
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Shipping to me (East Central Florida) for the 4 gallon case is $36. It still saves about $6 per gallon. What I have done the last two times, is to mix and match the products.
To do this, just order a single product and then follow up with an email of products you want. One of my orders had 4 different products and the other time had 3.
I now use the Apples and Oranges as the only fertilizer for all my young seedlings. I have been experimenting and comparing results with TTF, Vegetable and Miracle Grow. I have consistently gotten better and healthier seedlings using the A&O so the jug stays in the greenhouse except when I'm feeding my citrus.

Barb did you try the Vegetable formula on broccoli and cucumbers? Everything I used it on in my winter garden exploded and some summer crops seem to really love it. Once last year after that first big burst of fruit production I fed my older tomato vines a good dose of the vegetable because they looked a bit tired. It gave them a jump start that really helped and then I resumed with the TTF. I used it on my small container citrus plants that were devastated by aphids last winter while on the porch and they are all coming back wonderfully. Next feeding they will be getting the Apples and Oranges. I have found the perfect fertilizer for boosting a lagging plant and also for regular feeding of those really heavy feeders.

I try to keep all three on hand but if I run out of one then I can get by with one of the others until I can get in the type most suitable.

Bill
Old June 9, 2017   #575
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Well, I don't have a hose end sprayer that will work with my watering wand. Mine is the Ortho hand held sprayer with a small yellow end to choose the spray pattern.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...g&action=click

Can y'all lead me to one I can set my watering wand onto?

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2017   #576
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
Well, I don't have a hose end sprayer that will work with my watering wand. Mine is the Ortho hand held sprayer with a small yellow end to choose the spray pattern.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...g&action=click

Can y'all lead me to one I can set my watering wand onto?
Why do you have to have the watering wand? I just use a hose end sprayer and water in the fertilizer mix around the base of each plant.

Bill
Old June 9, 2017   #577
POAJoan
Tomatovillian™

I tried that but U.S. PS is not available to me! Sad face.
POAJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2017   #578
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Why do you have to have the watering wand? I just use a hose end sprayer and water in the fertilizer mix around the base of each plant.

Bill
I have difficulty bending without a lot of pain. I need to have the water close to the soil so I don't get everything else wet.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old June 9, 2017   #579
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I have difficulty bending without a lot of pain. I need to have the water close to the soil so I don't get everything else wet.
For some reason I am in a giving mood most of the time I am evil.
You tell me what you need or what you have and I will deliver.
That is a promise from the bottom of my heart.
This is the reason for the poll I am going to try and start this weekend.
My goal is to help people that need help.

I might say it is my destiny and what I was put here on earth to do.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2017   #580
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I now use the Apples and Oranges as the only fertilizer for all my young seedlings. I have been experimenting and comparing results with TTF, Vegetable and Miracle Grow. I have consistently gotten better and healthier seedlings using the A&O so the jug stays in the greenhouse except when I'm feeding my citrus.

Barb did you try the Vegetable formula on broccoli and cucumbers? Everything I used it on in my winter garden exploded and some summer crops seem to really love it. Once last year after that first big burst of fruit production I fed my older tomato vines a good dose of the vegetable because they looked a bit tired. It gave them a jump start that really helped and then I resumed with the TTF. I used it on my small container citrus plants that were devastated by aphids last winter while on the porch and they are all coming back wonderfully. Next feeding they will be getting the Apples and Oranges. I have found the perfect fertilizer for boosting a lagging plant and also for regular feeding of those really heavy feeders.

I try to keep all three on hand but if I run out of one then I can get by with one of the others until I can get in the type most suitable.

Bill
Last summer I did an experiment with cucumbers. I had 3 cucumber plants; 2 were in the same EB and one was in a Root Pouch. All were fed the Vegetable Formula and I ended up with 330 cucumbers in a 7 week period. They were Beta Alpha type. I was covering the plants at night with tulle to avoid the pickle worm moth.

This season I fed my tomato plants, cucumbers and peppers the Masterblend formula. There was no comparison with the cucumbers; they were so much more productive with the Veggie.

I just pulled my cucumber plants and have young ones to plant and will be using Veggie again.

Peppers do amazing with the Veggie Formula also.

I grow Broccoli in raised beds and put Tomato Tone and Plant Tone in the beds. Every once in awhile I sprayed the leaves with Kelp. How did you apply the Veggie?

When I bought the 4 pack last time, he mentioned a new veggie formula with more nitrogen and said it was excellent for broccoli. I went with one of my veggie gallons with the new formula. He didn't have new labels yet, and just marked it. It still isn't on the website.

I've tried them all except the ones for flowers. I did love the dry formula the one time I bought it, it is just so expensive.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2017   #581
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Last summer I did an experiment with cucumbers. I had 3 cucumber plants; 2 were in the same EB and one was in a Root Pouch. All were fed the Vegetable Formula and I ended up with 330 cucumbers in a 7 week period. They were Beta Alpha type. I was covering the plants at night with tulle to avoid the pickle worm moth.

This season I fed my tomato plants, cucumbers and peppers the Masterblend formula. There was no comparison with the cucumbers; they were so much more productive with the Veggie.

I just pulled my cucumber plants and have young ones to plant and will be using Veggie again.

Peppers do amazing with the Veggie Formula also.

I grow Broccoli in raised beds and put Tomato Tone and Plant Tone in the beds. Every once in awhile I sprayed the leaves with Kelp. How did you apply the Veggie?

When I bought the 4 pack last time, he mentioned a new veggie formula with more nitrogen and said it was excellent for broccoli. I went with one of my veggie gallons with the new formula. He didn't have new labels yet, and just marked it. It still isn't on the website.

I've tried them all except the ones for flowers. I did love the dry formula the one time I bought it, it is just so expensive.
That's the Veggie I am using now and it is even better than the older version and noticeably so. I just stand there and spray the beds with the veggie trying to soak the ground below the broccoli or other similar vegetable and if I get a lot of puddling on some leaves I will just switch my hose end sprayer to zero and wash them off a little before moving to the next bed. It helps to remember to change your setting back to 1 TBS before fertilizing the next bed. It works really good. Don't worry about getting it on the plants even if the sun is shining brightly as long as you can give them a quick rinse when you get the bed fertilized. I do this every week for my fall and winter vegetables and the results are off the charts. Heavy feeders like broccoli, cauliflower, and etc. really like the extra nitrogen regular feeding gives them. I can't think of a vegetable that I grow now that doesn't get regular feeding with one or the other of the Urban Farms fertilizers. The increased production per plant has allowed me to cut back on the number of plants needed and made it a little easier to manage my garden with less crowding.

Bill
Old June 10, 2017   #582
greyghost
Tomatovillian™

I also have been using the Veggie and Tomato Food for a few years, also some
Tomato, Plant Tone in the soil and I swear they're the best fertilizers I've ever used. The last 2 or 3 years, I've used the Garden of Eden formulation for my
flowers and they look amazing! I intend to use his products to the end of my gardening life!
greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2017   #583
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Well, I am almost finished with my 3.5 year old bottle of vegetable food and it is still bubbly in the bottle. The garden seems to be doing very well with it even though it is so old. I will order more vegetable and I will add some Tomato to it as well. What about the Bio-Actve dry? Anyone used that and how do you do it?

~Margaret Atwood~

Old June 10, 2017   #584
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
For some reason I am in a giving mood most of the time I am evil.
You tell me what you need or what you have and I will deliver.
That is a promise from the bottom of my heart.
This is the reason for the poll I am going to try and start this weekend.
My goal is to help people that need help.

I might say it is my destiny and what I was put here on earth to do.

Worth
Thank you so very much Worth, I appreciate you more than you will ever know.

I have a water wand like your Dramm, but it's a different brand and it only has one spray, not different patterns like yours. On or off is all it has. I can determine how fast the water comes through it though.

I have a handheld chemical sprayer that I would like to hook to the hose and then hook my wand to the other end so I don't have to bend when watering.

Right now I have to fill gallon jugs of water and pour them into a 2 gallon water jug (well give or take) with a long spout. It still requires me to bend some and it's heavy. It would be much easier on my back if I could just add some solution to a handheld sprayer and feed using the wand. I' be willing to buy another sprayer, I just don't know what I can get, I haven't found anything like what I am needing.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old June 10, 2017   #585
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Thank you so very much Worth, I appreciate you more than you will ever know.

I have a water wand like your Dramm, but it's a different brand and it only has one spray, not different patterns like yours. On or off is all it has. I can determine how fast the water comes through it though.

I have a handheld chemical sprayer that I would like to hook to the hose and then hook my wand to the other end so I don't have to bend when watering.

Right now I have to fill gallon jugs of water and pour them into a 2 gallon water jug (well give or take) with a long spout. It still requires me to bend some and it's heavy. It would be much easier on my back if I could just add some solution to a handheld sprayer and feed using the wand. I' be willing to buy another sprayer, I just don't know what I can get, I haven't found anything like what I am needing.
I dont have one with multiple pattern it is only one spray pattern.

Now I see what you are wanting to do.
You want the sprayer to be before the wand.
They have dont a good job of not allowing you to do that.
The other is the new Ortho sprayers have the hose connection pointed down.
What I do is connect the sprayer to the end of the wand I will show a pitcher soon but my phone is charging a the time.
Almost dead.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote