Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 11, 2015   #556
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
Thats cool but i actually meant to ask what do you do with that many peppers and how do you save them... canning, pickleling, freezing?

Ginny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
All right I got you.
I use the milder ones fresh in cooking , salads and a little pickling.
But the majority of them are dried (whole or ground ) and some are made into hot sauce.
I have plenty of canned hot sauce from last year . So this year I dried them all, whole.
Anytime that I saute', use some whole chili ( like New Mex Twilight, Thai Hot) along with garlic, fresh ginger, onion...
Also I do give away some hot sauce to friends and relatives.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2015   #557
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Anyone want to hazard a guess what is digging holes in areas of my back yard? I only mow the grassy areas of my back yard and not much else. Lots of moles running around just underground by I pay no attention to them. The past couple of months something has been digging holes at night in these grassy areas, the ones with moles and others that don't seem to have so many moles. Holes approx 3" in diameter and not very deep, maybe 4". They don't appear to be digging into the mole tunnels. I thought raccoons but I'm not sure. One night they dug possibly 20 holes. Maybe rabbits? Maybe it was rabbits that ate my Broccoli seedlings after all. I have went out at night and shinned a flashlight around and I have not seen a single snail or slug. What do think? I'm a bit stumped. What do you think they are digging for? Oh and by the way I have seen a couple of raccoons here over the years but I have never seen a rabbit in Florida, let alone here.
Thanks, Larry
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2015   #558
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone9b View Post
Anyone want to hazard a guess what is digging holes in areas of my back yard? I only mow the grassy areas of my back yard and not much else. Lots of moles running around just underground by I pay no attention to them. The past couple of months something has been digging holes at night in these grassy areas, the ones with moles and others that don't seem to have so many moles. Holes approx 3" in diameter and not very deep, maybe 4". They don't appear to be digging into the mole tunnels. I thought raccoons but I'm not sure. One night they dug possibly 20 holes. Maybe rabbits? Maybe it was rabbits that ate my Broccoli seedlings after all. I have went out at night and shinned a flashlight around and I have not seen a single snail or slug. What do think? I'm a bit stumped. What do you think they are digging for? Oh and by the way I have seen a couple of raccoons here over the years but I have never seen a rabbit in Florida, let alone here.
Thanks, Larry
Armadillos maybe? We had one here that was tearing up the neighbors lawn. That sounds about the same size holes as the one here was making.

Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2015   #559
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
All right I got you.
I use the milder ones fresh in cooking , salads and a little pickling.
But the majority of them are dried (whole or ground ) and some are made into hot sauce.
I have plenty of canned hot sauce from last year . So this year I dried them all, whole.
Anytime that I saute', use some whole chili ( like New Mex Twilight, Thai Hot) along with garlic, fresh ginger, onion...
Also I do give away some hot sauce to friends and relatives.

Gardeneer
That's what I was wondering. .. :-) I know Kay (KayRobbins) makes some really good spices with the really hot ones. I'm growing more pepper plants this year than before and was just looking for ideas. Thank you!

Ginny
Old November 11, 2015   #560
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
Armadillos maybe? We had one here that was tearing up the neighbors lawn. That sounds about the same size holes as the one here was making.

Ginny
Makes sense. I would have never guessed. Thanks a bunch.
Larry
Old November 11, 2015   #561
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrobbins View Post
The Garden Gem only got about 4 ft. One of the tomatoes I picked sat on the counter for 3 weeks and did not deteriorate at all. That is kind of scary.
So this would make an excellent tomato for growing LATE in the year with the extended shelf life. For fall, the big benefit is that it is early.

2 tomatoes on mine are almost ripe; probably by the weekend.

Are you still getting new growth/new flowers?
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2015   #562
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

I did not grow Garden Gem at home just at the demonstration garden and I am not going to be back there.

I grow so many herbs and many of them are medicinal but never do anything with them because it is not something I know much about. After spending 3 days at the International Herb conference and listening to all of the speakers I decided to make a major change. I have resigned as a Master Garden and will not be working at the demo garden. It is a lot of work and after years of doing it I was tired of it. Plus I am not really learning anything and I keep having to do the same talks over and over to the point I am sick of hearing myself.

I decided to enroll in Rosemary Gladstar's The Science and Art of Herbalism. This is the kind of in depth training that I love. I have a whole stack of herbal reference books coming from Amazon tomorrow so I can get started on my homework from lesson one.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2015   #563
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I did not grow Garden Gem at home just at the demonstration garden and I am not going to be back there.

I grow so many herbs and many of them are medicinal but never do anything with them because it is not something I know much about. After spending 3 days at the International Herb conference and listening to all of the speakers I decided to make a major change. I have resigned as a Master Garden and will not be working at the demo garden. It is a lot of work and after years of doing it I was tired of it. Plus I am not really learning anything and I keep having to do the same talks over and over to the point I am sick of hearing myself.

I decided to enroll in Rosemary Gladstar's The Science and Art of Herbalism. This is the kind of in depth training that I love. I have a whole stack of herbal reference books coming from Amazon tomorrow so I can get started on my homework from lesson one.
So excited for you in your new endeavor; A big loss for the demo garden.
Old November 11, 2015   #564
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Kay thats so exciting. Please share with us as you learn awesome new fun things. I love herbs but I only know what to do with the basic ones. Cant wait to hear about it.

Ginny
Old November 11, 2015   #565
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

Kay,
I hope you have a lot fun with your new challenge.
Larry
Old November 13, 2015   #566
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Look what came in the mail today. DH let me open it and use it early, but merry Christmas to meeeeee!!!

OK, all together now...Bzzzz Bzzzz
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (179.0 KB, 42 views)
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2015   #567
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Bzzzz. Excellent; I'm so glad you can use it now when it is most useful.

You will have to post your impressions tomorrow.

It is finally cooling off tonight.
Old November 13, 2015   #568
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

BZZZZZ. Merry Early Christmas. Barb are you getting one too?

Ginny
Old November 13, 2015   #569
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Oh aren't we flashy Marsha?

Couldn't you just use an electric toofie brush like everybody else?

Just kidding. I'm jealous! .

Enjoy your new toy!
Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2015   #570
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
Oh aren't we flashy Marsha?

Couldn't you just use an electric toofie brush like everybody else?

Just kidding. I'm jealous! .

Enjoy your new toy!
Linda
Yes we are! We are very flashy! Eat your heart out, Linda! Kidding too. Icant wait to try it out.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote