Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 26, 2016   #31
isuhunter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfiishn View Post
Almost 2 months old now. Good amount of fruit already just awaiting some ripening. We've been cool this spring so far so its taking a little longer to ripen. There are 18 plants in here. Im tight on space but not ambition.

Are those yellow sticky traps?
isuhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2016   #32
flyfiishn
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by isuhunter View Post
Are those yellow sticky traps?
Yes, leaf hoppers and aphids are a problem for me early. These work pretty well.
flyfiishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2016   #33
isuhunter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfiishn View Post
Yes, leaf hoppers and aphids are a problem for me early. These work pretty well.
We use those in the corn fields for corn rootworm beetles. What do you use to control your aphids or leaf hoppers?
isuhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2016   #34
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

In DFW, like most of Texas, we've had an amazingly wet and cool Spring, especially April and May. One side effect is Black Cherry tomatoes that are enormous. These guys are all ping pong ball sized. So far, Black Cherry, Sun Gold and Black and Brown Boar have produced a few ripe tomatoes. However, if I can stave off disease and insects long enough, there is a highly productive June and early July coming.

Dewayne Mater

PS - the tan spots on the tomatoes and leaves is Mancozeb. It washes off fruit relatively easily. That along with Copper and pruning has served me pretty well so far from a disease stand point. Both have been applied twice, in early and late May. It appears to stay on the leaves even after multiple times of hard rains. It appears to stay on leaves better than chlorothalonil. I also appears to have some insect deterrent properties.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8828.jpg (415.3 KB, 210 views)
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2016   #35
Sunflowerhill
Tomatovillian™

This is a Parks Whopper. (Sorry, I'm not sure how to get the double picture off!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tomato.jpg (151.9 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg 13343125_10208773842638378_4091100694056995434_n.jpg (151.9 KB, 200 views)

Last edited by Sunflowerhill; June 1, 2016 at 03:15 PM.
Sunflowerhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2016   #36
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

The season is well underway. We see more and more tomatoes of all size, shape and color all the way up to zone 4(late season start) , while folks down in Texas are enjoying ripe tomatoes.
Speaking of myself, my plants are growing fats and setting tomatoes. But still a month away from seeing any color other than green.

@sunflower ... congrats . It wont be long to get them ripe maters.
To remove a picture, go to edit then go to manage attachments and delete the one you want to be removed.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2016   #37
pingman39
Tomatovillian™

Default No Tops

I have some plant that don't have a top anymore. I don't know whether the deer nipped them off or if the gophers got some of the roots and the plant suffered. Out of 31 plants, 4 have no top but do have some blooms and tomatoes. Will they recover or are they done?
IMG_0217.jpg
The plant on the left has not top and is stunted (identical to plant on right)
IMG_0218.jpg
Closeup of left plant
IMG_0219.jpg
Closeup of right plant (both are Park's Whoppers and planted at the same time with same treatment)
pingman39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2016   #38
Urbanheirlooms
Tomatovillian™

I had the same problem with some of my plants-the rabbits were the culprits mostly as the woodchucks & deer are kept out by a fence, but the rabbits work their way in somehow and are a real pain to chase out. Most of the ones that got nipped did come back as I did not sucker them and the suckers formed side plants. The plants do not look pretty, but at this point, I am letting them go and we will see what happens.
Urbanheirlooms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2016   #39
pingman39
Tomatovillian™

I have seen a couple of rabbits in that area. I did not think they would eat on tomato plants. Now I know. May have to vaccinate them via twelve gauge.
pingman39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2016   #40
Urbanheirlooms
Tomatovillian™

I have watched a baby bunny go right through the fence-no problem. The larger ones probably find are quite nimble and can squeeze through some small holes. I have some plastic cable with yarn polyester yarn on the inside which I tie between posts for trellising and for some reason, the rabbits bite them in two. I have had to replace the bottom string numerous times this spring.

Many years ago, my son put up Christmas lights all around our house and a few times a week, we would find a strand out only to find a clean cut strand in the middle of a strand. I decided to put up a camera which could record at night time and finally got video of a rabbit chewing it in two. As cute as rabbits are, they are one of the most destructive animals to my gardens over the years. They are much harder to keep out than the deer & woodchucks.
Urbanheirlooms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2016   #41
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

All photos from today, 6/3/16. These are Dwarf plants from my EB garden in the yard of our family business.

Uluru Ochre:

Dwarf Purple Heart:

Hahms Gelbe:

First fruit on HGT:
JosephineRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2016   #42
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

No detectable fruits but they are growing, budding, flowering and setting.
Here are few pictures:
Top : a long shot
Bottom: few in pots
Attached Images
File Type: jpg June 3- long shot.jpg (121.3 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg June 3- pots 3.jpg (120.3 KB, 134 views)
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2016   #43
WilburMartin
Tomatovillian™

The two that started my tomato venture are a "Patio" and a "Creole" - both sets from Bonnie - I guess there is a bit of controversy if the "Creole" Bonnie sells is the same heirloom that LSU developed.

From top to bottom:

Patio: a wicked spring rain broke the main stalk, but the lesser stalk produced a cluster of 5 - two of which are just about to ripen. Two new stems sprouted to replace the main stem, and there are blossoms showing on those.

Creole: a lot of rain has not been great - however, there are 10 green fruits that just need some more sun and a week or two to start turning

Pink Brandywine (L) and a Mortgage Lifter (R): the Brandywine is taking full advantage of the handful of Tomato Tone I put at the bottom of the planting hole - I forgot to do that with the Mortgage Lifter.

My fall seedlings - (ignore the serrano and jalapeno seedlings on the far left)- Berkeley Tie Dye (2) on the left and Sweet Carneros Pink (2) on the far right

2 Pink Brandywine (L) and 2 Mortgage Lifter (R) seedlings - I will probably only plant the strongest one of each in a couple of weeks:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2002.jpg (495.7 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2003.jpg (573.7 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender[3].jpg (397.0 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender[1].jpg (183.9 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (362.1 KB, 112 views)

Last edited by WilburMartin; June 4, 2016 at 05:43 PM.
WilburMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2016   #44
WilburMartin
Tomatovillian™

duplicate

Last edited by WilburMartin; June 4, 2016 at 05:29 PM.
WilburMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2016   #45
Jonnyhat
Tomatovillian™

this is my first shot at containers here in zone6b
Jonnyhat is offline   Reply With Quote