Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 1, 2015   #31
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Near term, a sweet and tasty saladette tomato that brix 14 and tastes like tropical fruit blended with brandywine tomato. How far are we from having it? At most 2 more generations of growing out plants.

Longer term, there are a ton of improvements we can make in disease and pest tolerance and flavor.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2015   #32
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
Near term, a sweet and tasty saladette tomato that brix 14 and tastes like tropical fruit blended with brandywine tomato. How far are we from having it? At most 2 more generations of growing out plants.

Longer term, there are a ton of improvements we can make in disease and pest tolerance and flavor.
So Fusion tell me more about this nearly op tomato you speak of and how do i get seed?
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2015   #33
travis
Tomatovillian™

A series of 4 to 5 foot tall, self pruning, semi-determinates with multiple disease resistances, long shelf life, high vitamin content, heirloom looks, crack free, hotset, low temp tolerant, and fruit in various sizes, colors, and variable degrees of sweet/tart balance with full tomato flavor.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2015   #34
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
A series of 4 to 5 foot tall, self pruning, semi-determinates with multiple disease resistances, long shelf life, high vitamin content, heirloom looks, crack free, hotset, low temp tolerant, and fruit in various sizes, colors, and variable degrees of sweet/tart balance with full tomato flavor.
Is that all you want?

Not a problem, I'll send you some seeds.

Carolyn
Old April 2, 2015   #35
travis
Tomatovillian™

Getting close here.

If I live long enough, I'll send you seeds.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2015   #36
parah
Tomatovillian™

There are lots of tomato varieties that make Icicle shaped tomato fruit like Green Sausage, how about a blue one?

Bonus points if it is tasty.
parah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2015   #37
AZGardener
Tomatovillian™

The grafting seems to be gaining momentum? I just saw (for the first time) $16 Mighty Mato Tomato plants at our local nursery. I personally wouldn't pay that much but the idea of grafting a hybrid with an heirloom is very exciting to me. Also, a good tasting blue variety would be great! I haven't had one yet that I liked... I know those who don't grow tomatoes are totally fascinated with the blues... They LOOK awesome...
AZGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2015   #38
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZGardener View Post
The grafting seems to be gaining momentum? I just saw (for the first time) $16 Mighty Mato Tomato plants at our local nursery. I personally wouldn't pay that much but the idea of grafting a hybrid with an heirloom is very exciting to me. Also, a good tasting blue variety would be great! I haven't had one yet that I liked... I know those who don't grow tomatoes are totally fascinated with the blues... They LOOK awesome...

Assuming the root stock has tolerances, no such thing as total resistance, to several soil borne diseases, which they do, and one lives in an area where they are prevalent it might make some sense. But the most common tomato diseases worldwide are the foliage diseases so grafting an heirloom tomato to such rootstocks IMO doesn't make much sense for lots of tomato growers.

As to the claimed increase in fruit yield, I remain unconvinced as to those claims.

Carolyn
Old April 2, 2015   #39
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Agreeing with the OP, I believe the next big thing will be different colored stripes, speckles and all variations of these, in many different color combinations.
Blue ones are already having their heyday but I believe it is a passing fad - unless there will be blue varieties as tasty as the black and yellow/oranges...
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2015   #40
charline
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
Blue ones are already having their heyday but I believe it is a passing fad - unless there will be blue varieties as tasty as the black and yellow/oranges...

there is already a very good tasting blue variety: Amethyst Jewel
charline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2015   #41
charline
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
Agreeing with the OP, I believe the next big thing will be different colored stripes, speckles and all variations of these, in many different color combinations.

they are in the make....
http://frogsleapfarm.blogspot.de/
charline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2015   #42
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Tomatoes named Candy, Chocolate, Sweet and so on.
I wish, I hope they will taste so. There are many sweet tomatoes, there are none taste like chocolate...

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2015   #43
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Yes charline, I don't doubt Amethyst jewel tastes good..

I have been blessed to grow some of the frogleapfarms' varieties, also a few from Artisan seeds.
No doubt the trend continues to rise and bring on even more amazing ones with even more elaborate patterns.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2015   #44
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
Shucks, when this happens my tomato quest will be over!

PS did you forget to mention high yield and (relatively) early bearing?
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2015   #45
bluee19
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irv Wiseguy View Post
Square tomatoes. They'll be easier to stack for store displays.

Irv

That would be wonderful if there were square tomatoes because the bread I eat are squared shape. Hoping it will be available during my lifetime