Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 23, 2009   #31
duajones
Tomatovillian™

They may have been off by a few degrees but I still credit them with being more accurate than most. It must have been the high winds along with the cold temps that effected the plants. I slept in Sunday and it was 39 when I got up at 9, so maybe 3 to 5 degrees colder at most. Had this happened last year or the year before they would have been covered. trying not to baby them so much this year and it may have cost me a setback. Not a big deal though cause it looks like only 4 or 5 plants were effected. Will know more in the next couple of days
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2009   #32
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Well. after looking at them again today there are more plants affected than I previously thought. I don't like their color either as the stems look a little dark and the foliage that isnt crispy doesnt have the good green color that they would normally have at this point. Dont know how much I could help them at this point so its just wait and see I guess.
Old February 24, 2009   #33
Plantersville
Tomatovillian™

Wish I could sleep til 9....heh, heh.....duajones, I'm in Plantersville and it was 29 here for several hours. This time of year it doesnt hurt to cover those plants when it even smells like its gonna get close to freezing. I'm fixin to start planting on Thursday so I'm hoping the freezing is over for the year. Good luck.

I love to eat, sleep and fish........not necessarily in that order!
Plantersville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2009   #34
duajones
Tomatovillian™

I am usually up at 6:30 even on my days off, a guy has to take a break and sleep in sometime

Came home today to find one of my best looking Pink Berkley Tie Dye plants trampled to death. Darn dog took out the cage and everything, so temp fencing went up today and luckily I had another PBTD to replace it although it was quite a bit smaller. Still a little worried about a few of my plants but overall they do look a little better today
Old February 24, 2009   #35
Mojo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by duajones View Post
Came home today to find one of my best looking Pink Berkley Tie Dye plants trampled to death. Darn dog took out the cage and everything, so temp fencing went up today...
If it weren't for the cyclone fencing I put in two summers ago, I'd have had to get rid of mine --the dog, not the tomatoes. She tore down the temporary fencing that I'd had in place, and considered it capital fun to re-destroy it once I re-secured it. Cyclone fencing also makes a good trellis for cukes and beans.
Old February 25, 2009   #36
duajones
Tomatovillian™

First noticeable bud is on Indian Stripe and its a big one, not fused but particularly large
Old February 25, 2009   #37
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default Reply

Congradulations on the bud. Hopefully not much is lost on the tomatoe plants. I forgot to cover my lemon and orange tree. Am hoping I didn't get them killed. Be sure to keep informed if you able to save them!
Kat
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2009   #38
duajones
Tomatovillian™

I am feeling much better about the plants at this point and some werent effected at all. Purple Haze and Hege German Pink are my two best looking plants at this point. Color has improved in all the plants.
Old February 26, 2009   #39
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Here is a pic of my main bed with 12 plants taken one week after planting out.
Old February 26, 2009   #40
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Got home today and found my first blossom of the year, Hege German Pink. Somehow missed it yesterday. Earliest fruitset in the past two years was March 10th, may have one set even earlier this year and that would be cool
Old February 27, 2009   #41
veggie babe
Tomatovillian™

good job, "i'm pea green with envy."
your plants look great.
Neva
veggie babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2009   #42
Plantersville
Tomatovillian™

Looks like we're in for a freeze tonight and tomorrow nite. Anyone know if a regular blue tarp will work to keep my plants from freezing? I'm thinking of going down to Lowe's and get some clear plastic. I've got 4 rows that are 50' long of plants I gotta get covered up. I was afraid this was gonna happen!!!

I love to eat, sleep and fish........not necessarily in that order!
Plantersville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2009   #43
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default reply

Yea I had thought about putting some out until I saw the forecast. Looks like at least another week of waiting to make sure next weekend doesn't freeze as well. Am really excited to get some in the ground. Patience
Kat
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2009   #44
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantersville View Post
Looks like we're in for a freeze tonight and tomorrow nite. Anyone know if a regular blue tarp will work to keep my plants from freezing? I'm thinking of going down to Lowe's and get some clear plastic. I've got 4 rows that are 50' long of plants I gotta get covered up. I was afraid this was gonna happen!!!
As long as the cover is applied while the sun is still up, then you will have some warmth trapped with the plants.

Main thing is it should be airtight or near to it, so use bricks, rocks, whatever you have to secure the plastic.

And the plastic must not touch the leaves or it will burn the plants.

Does your local feed store have row cover? I don't know how much it would cost. It usually comes in 25 foot lengths about 6 feet wide so you'd need 14 packs. But that might be the same price as the plastic and easier to apply since it can touch the leaves and is more likely to "lay in place".

With four 50' rows of tomato plants, I would seriously look at what it would take for you to be able to put up plastic hoop covers over them, like a temporary greenhouse. I think you want something that's solid, sturdy, easy to store, easy to install.

If it becomes a total 3 hour chore to protect your tomato plants, you won't do it every time there is a freeze warning and then it will be a frustrating night.

If I had as much space as you (and perhaps the budget of a small country), I would set up hoophouses with temperature-controlled fans and start planting tomatoes February 1st.

I've got 3 tomato plants in the ground right now. The Cherokee Purple has a small flower bud starting to form. I'm probably planting the rest of my tomatoes tomorrow and during the week.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2009   #45
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Calling for 43 tonight and 38 tomorrow here in Corpus. I am covering mine this afternoon just to be on the safe side. My plants have fully recovered from the last cold front and look really good right now. Not taking any chances. Indian Stripe and Hege German Pink are both already flowering.