Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old August 17, 2013   #1
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default Vegetable Juicing

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?WCMTC 17 August 2013 Vegetable Juicing
Current garden vegetables were made into 12 litres of juice. Vegetables used were tomato, carrots,green beans,basil,egg plant, cucumber, green pepper and celery. Basically boiled until soft, made into a slurry,food mill strained, and Champion juicer strained Pressure canned at 15 PSI for 15 minutes for long term storage.Process is depicted by pictures.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2013   #2
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Durgan, What an awesome setup. I would love to have an "outdoor" place to make my mess and and not heat up the house. Now I am thinking.....
Old August 20, 2013   #3
wally mcgee
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durgan View Post
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?WCMTC 17 August 2013 Vegetable Juicing
Current garden vegetables were made into 12 litres of juice. Vegetables used were tomato, carrots,green beans,basil,egg plant, cucumber, green pepper and celery. Basically boiled until soft, made into a slurry,food mill strained, and Champion juicer strained Pressure canned at 15 PSI for 15 minutes for long term storage.Process is depicted by pictures.
It looks delicious! Do you drink it as is, or do you use it in cooking?
wally mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2013   #4
Ronaye

Looks and sounds heavenly! When are we invited for Bloody Marys?
Old August 2, 2013   #5
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default Corn Juice

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?GKCNW 2 August 2013 Corn Juice
Corn is in season now.It is of the highest quality. Cost is 6.50 dollars for 14 cobs if you have your own bag. Eighty four cobs were processed into 14 litres of juice.Each litre of juice contains 6 cobs of corn.Fourteen litres was pressure canned at 15 PSI for 15 minutes for long term storage, and one litre was placed in the refrigerator for current use.Water was added to make the product liquid enough for drinking. The texture is such that it makes ideal soup or may be ingested as a drink.Texture is such that food mill straining is not necessary. Annotated photos depict the process. Cost about $2.75 per litre.
Old August 2, 2013   #6
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Boy I don't know about this one Durgan. I love all your juice posts generally. I am a big advocate of juicing for sure! Green smoothies too! I love almost all versions.

I have to draw the line at corn though. sorry. Much better preserved in the freezer. Canning can be good too. Growing dent corn and storing corn meal? Another good one. Juice? Not with you there at all.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2013   #7
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
Boy I don't know about this one Durgan. I love all your juice posts generally. I am a big advocate of juicing for sure! Green smoothies too! I love almost all versions.

I have to draw the line at corn though. sorry. Much better preserved in the freezer. Canning can be good too. Growing dent corn and storing corn meal? Another good one. Juice? Not with you there at all.
scott

i love seeing these posts. maybe he's onto something. i'm going to chalk it up as a "don't knock it till you try it" sort of thing.

when cooking with fresh corn many recipes call for slicing the kernels off and then running the back of a knife down the bare cob to get the "milk" or corn juice. it's kind of a trick to re-enforce the corn flavor in certain dishes

TightenUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2013   #8
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

sounds excellent! I picked from a blueberry farm but made blueberry vanilla bean jam. Very yummy
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2013   #9
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

That's pretty good if you ask me. The birds usually do a good job of minimizing my harvest, but I got a gallon bag of berries this year first time, and they are in the freezer until I have time to juice and make jam out of them.
Old August 24, 2013   #10
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default Peach Juice

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?DGVNO 24 August 2013 Peach Juice
Redhaven Peaches were ripe so were processed into 16 litres of juice. A total of 25 pounds were picked.The pits were hand removed and five litres of water was added to the cooking pot. Each litre of juice contains about 1.5 pounds of peaches. The peaches were cooked until soft and blended into a slurry.The slurry was put through a food mill strainer. The residue from the food mill was used as a dessert.The peaches were small but excellent quality.The juice was pressure canned at 15 PSI for 15 minutes.
Old August 27, 2013   #11
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default Sovereign Coronation Grape Juice

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?YQRRF 27 August 2013 Sovereign Coronation Grape Juice
There are four grape vines in the garden. Boca Noir, Sovereign coronation, Concord and Niagara. Sovereign coronation and Niagara are ripe and the harvest was made into juice. Sovereign coronation produced 10 pounds of fruit, which translated into four litres of juice. This grape is also a good table fruit and is ripens earlier than the Concord. The fruit was picked, washed, removed from the supporting structure, covered with water,boiled until soft, beat into a slurry, strained, poured into litre jars and pressure canned at 15 PSI for 15 minutes.Picures depict the process.
Old August 31, 2013   #12
meadowyck
Tomatovillian™

beautiful

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”
-Theodore Roosevelt
meadowyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2013   #13
FaithHopeLove
Tomatovillian™

Are the grapes you made into juice from your own grape vines? Looks yummy!
FaithHopeLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2013   #14
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

My own vine.
Old September 16, 2013   #15
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Wow! That sounds like a ton of work!!!!

I'm just curious about the added water. I can see adding a little to facilitate cooking, but wouldn't a concentrate be a good idea and use up less of your storage conainers?

Linda (who has two young Beta grape vines which only yielded a small bowl of grapes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durgan View Post
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?QLLRO 16 September 2013 Concord Grape Juice.
A supplier of pick your own grapes was found on Kijiji. I drove to St. Catharines and picked two pristine bushels or about 75 pounds of Concord grapes.Cost was $20.00 per bushel. The grapes were made into 40 litres of juice about two pounds of grapes per litre. Method was to remove the grapes from the support substrate using a mesh. The grapes were cooked in three batches of about 25 pounds each. Five litres of water was added to the cooking pot to facilitate cooking and to thin the juice. After cooking about 15 minutes the grapes were beat into a slurry using the hand blender.The grapes were then strained using a food mill. The liquid was then placed in litre jars and pressure canned in batches of seven for long term storage. Pressure was 15 PSI for 15 minutes. Pictures depict the process.
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote