Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 4, 2012   #31
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by babice View Post
OK now see THIS pretty little boy didn't make me faint. One of many Black Swallowtail caterpillars on my parsley last year.
i get those on my parsley and carrots. i never harm them, it's a fair trade to sacrifice some parsley for the beautiful butterflys. i let milkweed grow in the garden too for the monarch's.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012   #32
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormymater View Post
OK - call me a troglodite - it's true. I can not find my camera charger & I am needing it so this year in the garden. Two eyed click beetle (still in the Chock Full O' Nuts can), TWO types of Tussock caterpillars & now...

The freakin' Burrito or Sushi roll caterpillar. SRSLY.
These boogers cut themselves leaves & make a tube of green that has OPERCULI at the ends. Freakin doors! Greenish caterpillar inside w/yellow mush I think it's eating, not pooping 'cause more mature looking ones have less yellow & more brownish goo (Itake that to be poop, fine, FRASS).

Worth - what in the world are these? Should I be squishing or coddling?

It sounds like some kind of a leaf roller. Does it look something like this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg leafroller.jpeg (29.8 KB, 14 views)

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012   #33
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

Oh Heck yEah! RR - you got it! Mine seem a bit fatter & shorter but them's that. I never cease to be amazed y'all can figure out WHAT I BABBLE ABOUT! TYTYTY!

OK - EDI T to note mine are separate entirely from the leaves - tucked in the drain holes of 15 & 30 gallon pots instead.
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012   #34
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Hooray!

There are different kinds of leafrollers. I don't think any of them are particularly beneficial though. One type of moth or another.

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012   #35
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

On the subject of leaf rollers, I spotted something today that was new. There were some lengths of old vine by the garden that I had pulled off the fence. These dried vines are hollow. As I glanced down at the end of one of them, there was a very neatly cut leaf tucked perfectly into the end of the hollow vine. A leaf door.

I was in the middle of something and didn't get a chance to check it out, but if I can find it again, I want to open that door and see what lives there. I'm betting on a spider.

Last edited by livinonfaith; May 6, 2012 at 01:29 AM. Reason: clarity
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012   #36
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjg911 View Post
i get those on my parsley and carrots. i never harm them, it's a fair trade to sacrifice some parsley for the beautiful butterflys. i let milkweed grow in the garden too for the monarch's.

tom
I get amazing, Giant Swallowtail on my citrus. They're my favorite butterfly.
I also let parsley flower every summer.
I'm trying to start some swamp milkweed now, but I'm really late. Might be something I overwinter of next year's butterflies.
I just got four passiflora vines! I'm hoping to see Gulf Frittilary butterflies.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote