Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old February 21, 2013   #31
dpurdy
Tomatovillian™

Good Point Doug. The small pump may be able to do the job.
DP
dpurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2013   #32
elight
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, dpurdy. I learned all about tubing last year when I built my automatic watering system (how was I supposed to know that not all 1/4" tubing is actually 1/4"!?). Doug, you are right that the faucet probably does more like 50 gph. So that would justify getting the smaller pump. One thing I like about that pump I linked to is that it has a speed control, so I could set it to be no faster than the water coming out of the faucet. Another alternative is to instead run the pump from the [farther away] bathtub, but that may be more work than it's worth.
elight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2013   #33
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

You can always use two barrels is the faucet head pulls out far enough. Put one on the floor in the kitchen in front of the sink and fill it using the pull out faucet. Then use the pump to transfer the water to the second barrel outside. That way you won't be limited by faucet flow.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2013   #34
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

elight, unscrew that knurled fitting behind the faucet and see if its a standard fitting or something proprietary. Also, lets see the spray head of the faucet. There are fittings that thread into the standard aerator fittings, for filling water beds. Your faucet looks similar to ours, and the aerator just screws out finger tight.

http://www.waterbedbargains.com/faucet-adapter/

Here is something that might work too:
http://www.wayfair.com/Claber-Koala-...3-XCL1009.html
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2013   #35
elight
Tomatovillian™

Rob, I think we may have hit the jackpot here. I was able to unscrew the spray head pretty easily with the help of a vise grip. Here's what the threaded connection looks like:

And for reference, here's the entire spray head (it does not appear that the plastic aerator assembly can be removed):

It is straightforward to just go to Home Depot and find the fittings necessary to convert that threaded connection into some sort of hose connection? Something like this (http://www.irrigationdirect.com/dd-chs710) combined with a male-to-male hose thread adapter that fits that fitting on one end and my spray hose on the other?

EDIT: Just to make things complicated, those are 5/8" fittings, which appear to not be very common. I did, however, find this (I've actually ordered from this company before): http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/ite...Fcme4AodXHsArg

Last edited by elight; February 22, 2013 at 10:33 AM.
Old February 22, 2013   #36
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

I think you should be able to mate that hose end to something from the hardware store. Don't jury rig it or risk messing up the threads. Also, don't use pliers putting it back together, that king of fitting should be finger tight only.
I would not recommend a garden hose, get something thinner and more supple like plain vinyl. Remember that hose won't be under pressure, no valve at the far end.
Old February 22, 2013   #37
elight
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Rob. I'm thinking 3/8" or 1/2" vinyl tubing; it might just be dictated by what fittings are available. I think that vinyl would be better than poly for the hose, as it is more flexible and thus will be easier to run through my living room and wrap up for storage.
Old February 22, 2013   #38
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

I agree. Plus once you find a fitting to get to a standard NPT thread you can go up or down to fit any size hose barb you want.
Old February 23, 2013   #39
janezee
Tomatovillian™

You know, I'm not sure I don't have the hardware for you. I'll go out to the shed tomorrow and look.

Several years ago, I was renting a place where I had a bathtub with a faucet that I wanted to attach my flexible hose and shower head to. I spent a lot of money on a threaded thing and a ball joint thing, and it reminds me of what you're looking for.

Like I say, let me look tomorrow, and It might just work for you. I'll send it on to you if we work it out that it's the right thing. I'll never need it again, because it doesn't work for me here, and I plan on never moving again until I hit the Home, or the dirt.

j
janezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2013   #40
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Ive followed this thread since the beginning.

It is called a hose fitting to faucet adapter.

You simply unscrew the aerator on your faucet and screw this on.
The hose then screws on to the adapter.

Many years ago people didn't have a washer drier room.
Many folks had a washing machine connected to their kitchen faucet with a hose.

These were the old metal wash tubs with the wringer on on end.
My mom had one as did Mrs long at 80 years old who lived in the woods all by herself for many years.

These things are cheap from 5 to 10 dollars.

Just google hose to faucet adapter.

Worth

Last edited by Worth1; February 24, 2013 at 02:53 AM. Reason: Ivalid URL
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2013   #41
elight
Tomatovillian™

Hi worth, thanks for the reply - but I'm not sure this is what I need. I am not attaching to the faucet (the aerator does not unscrew), but rather the braided metal hose that connects to the spray attachment. I believe these are different, no?
Old February 23, 2013   #42
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The aerator will unscrew it has to.
As for the braided hose I dont have a picture of what you have.
Yes they are different and I dont know what home depot has.
They stink as far as plumbing goes, dont even get me started.
I saw one of their "plumbing experts" tell a woman to put the wrong connection on the wrong threads.
I had to politely stop him and tell him it was wrong.
He got ticked and walked off.
I am reluctant to tell you what you need to do as I have no idea what is under the sink.
But I tell you that aerator will screw off it is the only way to clean the screen.
Looking down on it turn it clockwise.
It will be hard and you may need some channel locks.
Wrap a rag or black tape in it first if you dont want to mar the finish.

As for under the sink there are a 1000 ways to do it.

Worth
Old February 23, 2013   #43
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

elight,
what Worth said - As for under the sink there are a 1000 ways to do it.
He is right of course. Also makes me think you should go back to putting a tee under the sink as suggested previously.
Messing with the faucet seems like too much brain damage.
This video isn't directly on point but it will show you the type of tee and where to connect it. Find a tee at plumbing supply that has the connection you need.
Put in the tee, add a stop valve to what will be your new hose or tube line.
Keeps the whole setup underneath the sink.
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/vide...631579,00.html

Doug, as for your comment - I suspect that you Faucet can't supply 180 gph let along 320gph - headsmack to myself - duh. of course, what was I thinking?
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2013   #44
elight
Tomatovillian™

Worth, on the previous pages of the thread I posted pictures of both the faucet and the supply hose that connects to it. You are right that I was able to unscrew the plastic aerator assembly:

There are unfortunately no threads in that inner plastic ring, though. I still think that the easiest thing to do is to connect something to the metal braided supply hose (see previous photo), considering how easy it is to access and unscrew.

James, I agree that it actually would be nice to: a) keep everything under the sink, and b) not have to be detaching and re-attaching things all the time. And it looks pretty straightforward (I think I actually saw that TOH segment when it aired)... just the right fitting, some Teflon tape, and voila!

Since I'm in Boston now, wouldn't it be great if I could get Richard Trethewy (or his son) to come and just take care of this for me?

EDIT: I think that to do the under-sink method, I would need one of these tees, and also two of these nipples. Then, for one of the nipples, I would need a compression nut/sleeve/ferrile, and to figure out what size tubing fits inside it... right?

Last edited by elight; February 23, 2013 at 11:06 PM.
Old February 24, 2013   #45
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

That isn't the part I was talking about.

I was talking about the faucet not the hand sprayer.
You know the one that the water normally comes out of.

I'm glad you didn't break the thing.

Worth