Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 2, 2013   #31
tam91
Tomatovillian™

I like the 12 oz styrofoam cups - seems to be enough potting medium, and therefore cheaper than the 16 oz. I use a shishkebab skewer to poke holes in the bottom. But the best part is - the styrofoam cups have a rim around the bottom edge, so they stand up slightly from the tray. That way, the holes always drain well - I've heard of the other cups where the bottom sits flat against the tray having a problem with drainage.
Old April 3, 2013   #32
Havman
Tomatovillian™

Default Repotting

Just to let everyone know. Potted up 36 plants in red 16 ounce beer cups. Also a few peppers. So far they look great.
Thanks to everyone that helped me get this done. Should be going into the garden in couple weeks at best. Very happy I joined Tomatoeville.
Really appreciate all the help
Thank you, Jim
Havman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2013   #33
Got Worms?
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tam91 View Post
I like the 12 oz styrofoam cups - seems to be enough potting medium, and therefore cheaper than the 16 oz. I use a shishkebab skewer to poke holes in the bottom. But the best part is - the styrofoam cups have a rim around the bottom edge, so they stand up slightly from the tray. That way, the holes always drain well - I've heard of the other cups where the bottom sits flat against the tray having a problem with drainage.

Not if you put the holes in from the sides right near the bottom. Use any cup, pot or container you want...just make the drainage holes so they work.
Charlie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1801.jpg (258.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1798.jpg (323.5 KB, 25 views)
Got Worms? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2013   #34
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Agree with Charlie. Put the holes on the sides, right next to the bottom, and they will bottom water without any problems.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2013   #35
tedln

While I do like the side holes in grow pots or containers to facilitate drainage and maintain a water reservoir below the holes, I don't use them in germination containers. Since I water from the bottom, I prefer the holes on the bottom in order for the germination pots to absorb all the water from the flats they are placed in. With holes on the sides, all the moisture can't be absorbed.

Retained water in the flats has a tendency to become sour. It may not hurt the plants, but I don't like the smell after a few weeks.

Ted
Old April 3, 2013   #36
Havman
Tomatovillian™

Default Repotting

Have potted up my tomato plants. Can some one tell me what to use to tie them up to the stakes. To the point where they are starting to lean a little. Maybe garbage bag ties? Not sure what would be the best for the new plants.
Appreciate any info I can get for this,
Thanks, Jim
Havman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2013   #37
kath
Tomatovillian™

On the cheap, I've used strips of pantyhose, cotton cloth from old t-shirts or even bits of yarn for the first ties, with a warning to remove the yarn when the plants are taller and tied again up higher because I've had yarn cut right into the stalk later on when the plants get larger. Go for something with a little "give" that will be soft against the stalk.

I'm sure others will be along with additional suggestions. Glad to hear things are going so well for you, Jim.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2013   #38
Got Worms?
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedln View Post
While I do like the side holes in grow pots or containers to facilitate drainage and maintain a water reservoir below the holes, I don't use them in germination containers. Since I water from the bottom, I prefer the holes on the bottom in order for the germination pots to absorb all the water from the flats they are placed in. With holes on the sides, all the moisture can't be absorbed.

Retained water in the flats has a tendency to become sour. It may not hurt the plants, but I don't like the smell after a few weeks.

Ted
Hi Ted, I'm not sure, but I think I haven't explained properly. The holes are not up off the bottom; they are at the bottom. All the water drains from the pots, and when I bottom water, all the water gets wicked up to the pots. No water remains in the tray.

The pic linked shows the tray is empty of water. I put 1" of water in all of the trays about 2 hrs. ago. They're all the same. I'm sure if I put another inch of water in now, it will just lay there. I've got it down pretty good even though they're starting to drink faster and faster now.

All my planting buckets are like that too. I wish I had the forethought to make some with the holes up a few inches, like you were saying. I've got 20/20hindsight.

Charlie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1802.jpg (460.6 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by Got Worms?; April 3, 2013 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Forgot to link pic
Old April 3, 2013   #39
Got Worms?
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havman View Post
Have potted up my tomato plants. Can some one tell me what to use to tie them up to the stakes. To the point where they are starting to lean a little. Maybe garbage bag ties? Not sure what would be the best for the new plants.
Thanks, Jim
Strips of bread bags cut them like rings (doubled) or old wool yarn.
Charlie

Last edited by Got Worms?; April 4, 2013 at 07:52 AM. Reason: fudge correction
Old April 3, 2013   #40
tam91
Tomatovillian™

I still like my styrofoam ones. Making holes at that precise point at the bottom out the sides, I'd think you'd have to do one cup at a time, as opposed to my skewer a bunch at a time method.
Old April 3, 2013   #41
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

For ties I use pipe cleaners from the dollar store, and fibre glass rods used to mark a road on ice for fishing in the Winter.
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?SNPMB 3 April 2013 Tomato Plants. Zone 5.
All plants growing well. Watering from the bottom.Supporting plants using pipe cleaners and four foot fibre glass stakes.Still too cold to place outside to begin the hardening off process.

Styrofoam cups are miserable since the sides break off sometimes. I use plastic cups.
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?AJKVK 13 February 2012 Making Seedling Pots
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2013   #42
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havman View Post
Thanks, Jim
Last year I started using Velcro strips cut into about 4" strips. I found 2 different sizes - 30' and 45' long.
guruofgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2013   #43
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedln View Post

Ted
I'm with Ted, I haven't had a problem with bottom holes, neither for drainage or bottom watering. I prefer it specifically because I can prep a stack of up to 20 cups all at once.

I am using trays/flats from discarded plant flats from the nursery that held those plastic plant packs which also have their holes in the bottom. The trays have grooves formed into the bottom. With the two 1/4" holes drilled through the bottom of the cup, chances are very high that at least one of them will end up over a channel, thus permitting drainage or uptake of water as needed. I can fit eighteen of the 16 oz drink cups in each tray.

I find it interesting that we all have somewhat different approaches but have found, stick with, and are ready to defend what works well for each of us. I see the variety and analysis of each as proof of our obsession!

Without doubt each method has its own merits and they present folks new to rasing their own some options to try until they find what works best for them...

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2013   #44
tedln

The metal stakes for me have been the legs of tomato cages which I cut off to lower the cages. The tie material I use is sisal or hemp string. I buy it in rolls at one of the Dollar General stores. The other "Dollar" stores probably have it as well. I think it costs about a buck per roll and one roll goes a long way. I just keep a roll and pair of scissors in a bucket in the garden. It is also used through the summer to tie stray branches up to the supports. It is soft and I've never experienced any breaking during the summer. When I clean my garden in the fall, I cut the string with scissors and let it fall to the ground. It will eventually decompose.

Ted
Old April 3, 2013   #45
tedln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durgan View Post
For ties I use pipe cleaners from the dollar store, and fibre glass rods used to mark a road on ice for fishing in the Winter.
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?SNPMB 3 April 2013 Tomato Plants. Zone 5.
All plants growing well. Watering from the bottom.Supporting plants using pipe cleaners and four foot fibre glass stakes.Still too cold to place outside to begin the hardening off process.

Styrofoam cups are miserable since the sides break off sometimes. I use plastic cups.
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?AJKVK 13 February 2012 Making Seedling Pots
Great photos Durgan. Keep them coming through the season. Sometimes a photo really does a good job of showing what you are talking about.

I love the green house. I'm going to build one when I finish building my chicken coop.

Ted