Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 5, 2013   #31
nicky
Tomatovillian™

We have rain rain rain, and some more rain in southern ontario. I haven't bothered to set up my watering system yet. I actually haven't even turned on the outside tap. My potatoes think that they are in the UK. They are doing fantastic!

nickysgarden.wordpress.com
nicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2013   #32
beatpoet
Tomatovillian™

We had rain almost all day yesterday. Had just grilled up some food and was eating when I heard a loud crack and then the power shut off. Go outside to see this:

That fence in the bottom right is the corner of my yard, took out part of the fence and the power cables. Fell from the giant oak tree in my yard, about 3 stories down. Luckily no one was parked there and it missed the neighbors garage(only clipped the gutters), landed on the alley and his driveway.

The whole block was without power for a good 3 or 4 hours, my house didn't get power back until midnight or so since it had ripped the cables from the side of the house.

Last edited by beatpoet; July 5, 2013 at 10:17 PM.
beatpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2013   #33
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

That's a huge branch! Luckily no one was hurt.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2013   #34
PA_Julia
Tomatovillian™

From over seven inches in June to 90 + degree and high humidity so far this month.

This morning I gave my tomato plants and sunflowers a nice deep drink of water.
Old July 6, 2013   #35
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Last month we had more than double the amount of rain on average for June. This month we are at the half of the average for July and it is only 6th of July. I am going to pull my Amazon Chocolate . Rain/bugs/huge caterpillars... I found 2 huge caterpillars on my Anna Russian. Each was bigger than my finger.
Second year that I see so many different bugs attacking my garden at the same time. They are different shapes, colors, sizes. I used to see 1-2 types at the same time, not 8. I only spray with liquid soap, soda, Epsom salt. I do not want to use poison.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”

Last edited by efisakov; July 6, 2013 at 11:36 AM.
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2013   #36
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

Wow, Beatpoet, that's a long drop for such a large branch! Thank goodness it missed the house and no one was hurt!

Sorry about the fence and the wiring, though. I know that can be a real pain to fix. Are you having someone else take the tree away or trying to do it yourself? I know that's a chore, especially if you don't have a chainsaw.

My son is still chopping up the large branch that fell at our house three weeks ago. He's stripped it down to the largest branch and is sawing it into sections, and then he'll probably split those with the axe.

Guess we'll have some firewood this Winter!
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2013   #37
beatpoet
Tomatovillian™

luckily I rent so the landlord is taking care of all of that. He's got someone out there right now with a chainsaw taking care of the branch. Hoping I can snag some of the wood and use it for my fire pit after it dries out and whatnot. Will be good to have in the fall.
Old July 6, 2013   #38
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

beatpoet,

Half the tree it looks like!!! Those old oaks can sure grow huge. I'm seeing lots of bags of oak leaves myself, what nice stuff for your garden next year. I know you grow on a patio so it may not be a thought in your mind at all.

Amazing how loud something that big can be. We had a huge segamore sigamore, spelling??? tree felled years ago and WOW it was literally earth shattering.
zeroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2013   #39
beatpoet
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, it was pretty loud, apparently about a year before we moved in here, another branch fell from the same tree onto someone's car. I'm thinking that we're going to suggest the landlord cut it down or at least get it trimmed of any unstable branches like that.
This is the part that took out the fence:

The positive side of it is that I'll get a bit more sun on that side of the balcony now, lol
Old July 6, 2013   #40
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Atlanta - 37.2 inches so far in 2013 - compared to 18.35 inches by this time in 2012. We are not complaining - prefer too much to too little rain. For those in Georgia, here are two very useful sites to monitor rainfall:

http://www.griffin.uga.edu/aemn/cgi-...AAAA&report=rf
http://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KPDK.html
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2013   #41
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinAtlanta View Post
Atlanta - 37.2 inches so far in 2013 - compared to 18.35 inches by this time in 2012. We are not complaining - prefer too much to too little rain. For those in Georgia, here are two very useful sites to monitor rainfall:

http://www.griffin.uga.edu/aemn/cgi-...AAAA&report=rf
http://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KPDK.html
Good to see Atlanta having lots of water. Scott, do you remember a few years back Georgia and Florida were having a big fight over the water in Lake Lanier? All due to a severe drought. It was crazy!
Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2013   #42
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

Speaking of water, want to hear something crazy?

We had a few years of drought in our area of NC recently. We were on and off water restrictions and apparently many of us have kept up with our water conservation efforts. Also, with the large amount of rain this year, we haven't had to water outside much. (if at all).

So, because we aren't using enough water per capita, the water companies are talking about raising the rates! These are the same companies that raised the rates during the drought because we were using too much water!

Darned if you do, darned if you don't!
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2013   #43
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinonfaith View Post
Speaking of water, want to hear something crazy?

We had a few years of drought in our area of NC recently. We were on and off water restrictions and apparently many of us have kept up with our water conservation efforts. Also, with the large amount of rain this year, we haven't had to water outside much. (if at all).

So, because we aren't using enough water per capita, the water companies are talking about raising the rates! These are the same companies that raised the rates during the drought because we were using too much water!

Darned if you do, darned if you don't!
That same exact thing happened here in Ft. Lauderdale, and Plantation . They'll get their pound of flesh one way or the other!
Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote