Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 4, 2017   #421
ChristinaJo
Tomatovillian™

I'm just glad y'all are ok. Our church in North East Texas are creating care packages and clothes to send down. Again, praying and glad that you're alive.
ChristinaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2017   #422
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I know I'm not supposed to seek my reward now but darn.
Not one of the next door neighbors sons even thanked me for saving her house from flooding out again.
Worth, some people are so engrossed in their own little world. I for one to say "thank you" for watching out for your neighbors. I try to live my life by doing the next right thing and often fall short.

I know this is pretty deep, but I wondered for years what my purpose is here on earth. I never knew. It suddenly dawned on me my purpose for living was to help other people when I see they need help or was asked. Keeps me from getting all tangled up in my own BS.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2017   #423
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
Worth, some people are so engrossed in their own little world. I for one say "thank you" for watching out for your neighbors. I try to live my life by doing the next right thing and often fall short.

I know this is pretty deep, but I wondered for years what my purpose is here on earth. I never knew. It suddenly dawned on me my purpose for living was to help other people when I see they need help or was asked. Keeps me from getting all tangled up in my own BS.
Old September 4, 2017   #424
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Well the good news is I just asked her how much of the house got wet and she said just a little bit at the front door.
I can say right now if I hadn't of went over there and dug that ditch out in a rain storm they would have had to replace all the carpet again on one side of the house like they did the last time.
I guess that is all that matters.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2017   #425
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Good on you Worth to help out a neighbor. It's too bad they can't appreciate what you do for their mother. Sad society we live in these days.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5, 2017   #426
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I know I'm not supposed to seek my reward now but darn.
Not one of the next door neighbors sons even thanked me for saving her house from flooding out again.
Worth, your good behavior doesn't depend on their good behavior. No matter how they react, your job was to do the right thing and you did it.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5, 2017   #427
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Ingrates are a dime a dozen. It is the angels who are more rare among us like precious jewels.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5, 2017   #428
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Like sands through an hourglass, these are the days of our lives!
Old September 5, 2017   #429
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
Like sands through an hourglass, these are the days of our lives!
Can't wait until the sand in that hourglass empties and those idiot neighbors are moved out of their house. I can't stand these people. They have a yard, yet they are stacking their fence into my yard. Idiots. These people really chap my hide. I am telling you, they think my yard belongs to them. I already told them to stack their garbage in their own yard.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old September 5, 2017   #430
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
Can't wait until the sand in that hourglass empties and those idiot neighbors are moved out of their house. I can't stand these people. They have a yard, yet they are stacking their fence into my yard. Idiots. These people really chap my hide. I am telling you, they think my yard belongs to them. I already told them to stack their garbage in their own yard.
You think thats bad I was mistaken for a Mexican by another Mexican today in the burger joint.
I mean not a Texas Mexican but a Mexican Mexican.

I told him how hot it was and he said we were the ones that wanted to come north.
To them Texas is north and frigging hot.

In my line of thinking I took it as a complement.

Worth
Old September 5, 2017   #431
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Do you have any Spanish?

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5, 2017   #432
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
Do you have any Spanish?
Enough to be polite say thank you, excuse me please get food and so on.
All of these guys spoke English.
It is a falsehood they dont learn English many do and good too.
Many will hide that fact until they get to know you or you speak a little Spanish to them.
We have much in common, more so than not.

Worth
Old September 6, 2017   #433
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

@Rockporter how was your day? Making progress?
Old September 7, 2017   #434
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Hi Steve, today was one of those days and I decided I wanted some kind of normalcy in my day. We ate out with our regular dining buddies for the first time since before the storm. We went to get some groceries and decided to get some coffee at a coffee shop. The coffee shop was closed, but that's ok, because I felt somewhat normal this evening.

There was someone at the store who yelled out really loud that they had lost everything while her cart had quite a bit of meat in it. I don't know what happened but I think someone may have said something to her about it. Maybe in the way of "Lots of people need food" or some such. Then she looked at me and said, "we did lose everything" and she said it with such force like really, truly it's all gone. I replied with a question, "Did you lose your home?". She replied, "No, we lost all of our food in the refrigerator and freezer". I responded to that and said, "We lost all of our food too, but some have lost everything, including their lives. We must be mindful of that". She then thanked me for reminding her that in the grand scheme of things it really isn't so bad.

Then we talked about where we are each from and turns out they are from my town too. I hope she realizes that the stores are not fully operational and while she was stockpiling her cart with meat she won't eat in the next few days others might actually need that meat she will have tossed in the freezer for later. I doubt it though, didn't seem to phase her when someone commented on what she had in her cart.

I have not finished all the laundry work for my friend. I am now folding things instead of just laying them out flat to make sure they were dry. It's been nice to be able to tell her, "I found this, or I found that in these belongings".

Still have one dress with a stain and have not received the mold stuff from Lowe's to try on it. Two of the dresses still have a tiny bit of smell so I will spray those with the mold stuff too when I get it. Hopefully all the dresses can be saved. She asked me to donate all of her sewing to a charity somewhere because the church she found to donate to has already loaded trucks and took off for the Houston area. I know of one elder home I can donate the adult bibs she makes to which made it through the hurricane in Portland. Our friends we had dinner with were telling us about one of their customers who lost everything, and he has two daughters. I asked her to find out their sizes to see if any of these dresses will fit them. I also have those coloring books and coloring pencils in my stash for toys for tots. I will give the girls some of those to help occupy their time. I will give their mother some of the dish towels my friend makes that hang on the stove handle with a snap to keep it from falling off. Boy I love those towels, and have bought many from my friend for myself and for gifts, they are awesome towels.

We are good though Steve, thanks for asking how it was going. I really appreciate that.

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; September 7, 2017 at 01:01 AM.
Old September 7, 2017   #435
imp
Tomatovillian™

You are a good person. I can only hope that things get moving along for the repairs and such and that it turns out well for ya'll. My offer still stands and I also have Amazon Prime if there is something you need.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote