Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 4, 2017   #406
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Anybody recall what happened during the great Galveston flood?
It was horrible.
All of those people washing ashore.

The dead bodies were so numerous that burying all of them was impossible. The dead were initially weighted down on barges and dumped at sea, but when the gulf currents washed many of the bodies back onto the beach, a new solution was needed.[30] Funeral pyres were set up on the beaches, or wherever dead bodies were found, and burned day and night for several weeks after the storm. The authorities passed out free whiskey to sustain the distraught men conscripted for the gruesome work of collecting and burning the dead.[21] More people were killed in this single storm than the total of those killed in all the tropical cyclones that have struck the United States since. This count is greater than 300 cyclones, as of 2009. The Galveston Hurricane of 1900 remains the deadliest natural disaster in U.S. history.[31]

One year in the 30's the Colorado river got on a rise and washed up a bunch of graves.
The people in the little community including my father had to re-bury them.
Back then there was no government FEMA.
About all they did is give the people shots that had to do it.
If the community didn't do it, it didn't get done.
Some of those good old days weren't good at all.

Worth
That was such a horrible storm. They show it all the time when hurricanes are in season. I think it reminds people of how bad it was then. They did not know how to predict a hurricane then. People had no idea they were coming.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2017   #407
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Store was out of gas again yesterday.
The girl said they had just gotten a delivery and people came in droves and were fighting and cutting in line.
The fuel was sucked up in no time.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2017   #408
MadCow333
Tomatovillian™

Sewing machine can be salvaged. People soak them in kerosene if seized up solid. Otherwise, Kroil, Liquid Wrench, sewing machine oil, etc., and just let it soak a bit. Motors can be rebuilt or replaced. What brand / model is it? I collect machines.
MadCow333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2017   #409
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCow333 View Post
Sewing machine can be salvaged. People soak them in kerosene if seized up solid. Otherwise, Kroil, Liquid Wrench, sewing machine oil, etc., and just let it soak a bit. Motors can be rebuilt or replaced. What brand / model is it? I collect machines.
I'd have to look. Not sure where hubby put it. We had a lot of stuff to bring in.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old September 4, 2017   #410
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
That was such a horrible storm. They show it all the time when hurricanes are in season. I think it reminds people of how bad it was then. They did not know how to predict a hurricane then. People had no idea they were coming.
Actually they did know they/it were/was coming and the Galveston storm disaster could have been prevented.
But due to arguing between meteorologists nobody was warned in time.
They didn't want to create ((needless)) panic.
Before satellites scientists used barometric pressure wind speed, direction and water temperature.
Also ships coming in and reporting storms at sea.
Communication at that time was telegraph by wire and just getting into wireless spark gab but not quite soon enough.
Marconi sent his first wireless telegraphic transmission across the Atlantic in 1901.
These communications were transmitted many times ahead of storms regardless of what or where they were.

I was actually raised up in the home learning to read weather instruments and learning to predict weather.
They also taught this in schools at the time, sadly now everyone relies on computers, the media and satellites.
Old September 4, 2017   #411
bower
Tomatovillian™

I've used the concrobium and it does seem to work well on solid surfaces so I would definitely use it for walls, ceilings etc. But I can't imagine the amount you would need to treat fabrics or clothes. It might be worth the cost and effort if the clothing is expensive or has great personal significance, I certainly wouldn't use it on blankets or anything easily replaced. Vinegar is spot on, very effective and the way to go for laundry, but if that doesn't work I would discard any cloth item that isn't either very expensive or highly personal.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2017   #412
kurt
Tomatovillian™

When you materphiles up there get a handle on things,and your season starts let me know,care packages,seedstarter quick trays ,starting mixes and seeds of course.Make a wish list,im sure we T vilians can get yall goin again.Have all the Texans( Harvey victims)chimed in yet?Any stragglers?
Old September 4, 2017   #413
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Kurt. I'm sure plenty of people will need that help. I am blown away that I have a garden ready for the next season.

Power is out again, no cable or internet either. If it doesn't come back on hubby will have to setup the generator again. I'm not tossing my food again.

Finally, I have a humongous gripe I'll post in "all gripes thread" when services come back on. I'll just say to prelude, "I hate Lowe's incompetence".

Have a great tomato day. Battery doesn't like being here.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old September 4, 2017   #414
kurt
Tomatovillian™

A lot of the and tried and true sailors will not leave dock without these that have evolved since inception,handy,life saving for the extended stay yachting crowd here.Usually snowbirds,some real adventurers those solo sailors.

https://www.amazon.com/RAVPower-1500...phone+chargers
Old September 4, 2017   #415
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

I have a Halo to recharge with. I can get four charges on my cell phone with it. It's just this website is not a favorite of my phone. It eats the battery something fierce, lol. Power back on about an hour ago, just been busy doing things.

Twia came today, doesn't look like we have roof damage. He said a couple of spots that were hit with something but doesn't think it needs any repair. He looked all around at everything and said we would get a quote in 7-10 days. So, we wait.

Already had a repair company come by to sign people up for an estimate. They are a local company so I said sure, sign us up. They will come by tomorrow or Wednesday to give a free estimate. We'll compare theirs to others and also the TWIA estimate. I hope TWIA is fair in their estimation.

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; September 4, 2017 at 04:51 PM.
Old September 4, 2017   #416
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
I've used the concrobium and it does seem to work well on solid surfaces so I would definitely use it for walls, ceilings etc. But I can't imagine the amount you would need to treat fabrics or clothes. It might be worth the cost and effort if the clothing is expensive or has great personal significance, I certainly wouldn't use it on blankets or anything easily replaced. Vinegar is spot on, very effective and the way to go for laundry, but if that doesn't work I would discard any cloth item that isn't either very expensive or highly personal.
I'm just going to spray the spots on the items, then soak the in a warm soapy water with vinegar in it. I need it for the beams in the attic for the water damage.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old September 4, 2017   #417
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

My friend found a church in the Bracketville area that will be dispensing clothing and things to those who flooded. She and her husband will be here sometime next week to see insurance adjuster at their house and will pick up some things to take to the church. So, her things are doing good things instead of being left to destroy in their house. I am glad for that.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old September 4, 2017   #418
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Rock, Samaritans Purse is set up at a church in Portland. I don't know which one. SP uses 100% of their donations to help those in a disaster area. Strictly volunteers. Maybe they could help your friend with some things. It wouldn't hurt for you to contact them and see if they can help.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2017   #419
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
Rock, Samaritans Purse is set up at a church in Portland. I don't know which one. SP uses 100% of their donations to help those in a disaster area. Strictly volunteers. Maybe they could help your friend with some things. It wouldn't hurt for you to contact them and see if they can help.
Thanks Steve. I saw them at the church in Portland on Friday as we were driving by. We were on the hunt for some propane for the dual fuel generator that came in on Friday. I don't know which church it is, but they are at a church located on Wildcat Drive, not far from the Valero gas station that's on the corner of Wildcat Dr. and 181.

I'll tell my friend but they are way over in Bracketville right now. That's a few hours drive from here. They went to the old Fort Clark out there. A little history, very neat place I want to visit too.

http://www.texasescapes.com/TexasHil...ettvilleTx.htm

~Margaret Atwood~

Old September 4, 2017   #420
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I know I'm not supposed to seek my reward now but darn.
Not one of the next door neighbors sons even thanked me for saving her house from flooding out again.