Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 6, 2013   #391
DonnaMarieNJ
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, what is the name of the tomato that is pictured next to the blank green page in the very front of the book? It is a fuzzy tomato. I couldn't find the name anywhere but I'm sure you mentioned it. Thanks.

Donna

I pay the mortgage, but my cats own the house!
DonnaMarieNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2013   #392
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

That's a good question, DonnaMarie. I'm looking at it and don't see a credit anywhere. The photographer did such an outstanding job with the photos!
Old July 6, 2013   #393
DonnaMarieNJ
Tomatovillian™

Oh, and here I've been looking and looking. I didn't see it listed anywhere inside the book - I saw where she mentioned the fuzzy types, but nothing else. I assumed I missed it. I'm surprised there is a full page pic of a mater yet no description in the book.

Old July 10, 2013   #394
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaMarieNJ View Post
Oh, and here I've been looking and looking. I didn't see it listed anywhere inside the book - I saw where she mentioned the fuzzy types, but nothing else. I assumed I missed it. I'm surprised there is a full page pic of a mater yet no description in the book.
Donna M. I've been off line since Lightning hit my house Friday.

I have no idea what that variety is and there are other pictures, not the ones of the featured 100, that I have no idea what they are.

I did not see the book before it went for publication, but did see and confirm the pictures of the 100 ones.

Carolyn
Old July 10, 2013   #395
DonnaMarieNJ
Tomatovillian™

OMG! If it is not one thing, it is the other. Stay safe! And thanks for the info.

Old August 9, 2013   #396
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

It's hard to believe that when I posted this "Carolyn's Book" thread as a brand new member, on a brand new site, in February of 2006, that it would be used as perhaps the first "sticky note" here, and get over 33,000 views and nearly 400 replies, and still be going strong seven years later.

Amazing. I hope it is still spreading the word, and selling a lot of books.

DS
Old December 30, 2013   #397
Aubergine
Tomatovillian™

I could not find the book in Europe so my husband ordered it in the USA.

It arrived just today to my birthday

It is really a very nice book
Aubergine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2013   #398
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Carolyn, what is the name of the tomato that is pictured next to the blank green page in the very front of the book? It is a fuzzy tomato.
It looks very similar to the Velvet Red (Red Velvet?) Cherry that I received free seeds from SSE a year or two ago. It's hard to tell from the size of the leaf vs fruit in the picture, whether the pictured one is a cherry or saladette size, but here the SSE seed picture link: http://www.seedsavers.org/onlinestor...et-Red-OG.html

Despite it being a winner of a 2009 SSE tasting, I was not impressed, but the plant was very pretty.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2013   #399
Gerris2
Tomatovillian™

I just requested it from my public library, looking forward to the information!

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.
Gerris2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2013   #400
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
It looks very similar to the Velvet Red (Red Velvet?) Cherry that I received free seeds from SSE a year or two ago. It's hard to tell from the size of the leaf vs fruit in the picture, whether the pictured one is a cherry or saladette size, but here the SSE seed picture link: http://www.seedsavers.org/onlinestor...et-Red-OG.html

Despite it being a winner of a 2009 SSE tasting, I was not impressed, but the plant was very pretty.
Dee, I happento have my book next to me b'c of a question asked. So I looked at that picture and see nothing fuzzy at all, and it sure isn't Velvet Red, whichI got from Joe Bratka, many years ago:

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Velvet_Red

And it has angora foliage, very fuzzy, which sparkles in the sun, but the fruits aren't all that good.

And yes, SSE was offering it in the Public catalog, maybe they still are, but they first listed it as Angora Super Sweet and I knew darn well that Joe had again changed the name of the variety, and he confirmed that for me. So I got it changed back to the original name.

I't a typical red cherry,not saladette size or shape.

Carolyn
Old December 30, 2013   #401
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

A little off subject but is the book back in print?
I saw on the TGS site it was offered for sale.
If it is I highly suggest people buy it.
It will be the only book you need to start and grow tomatoes.
Your ongoing experience should take care of the rest.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2013   #402
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
A little off subject but is the book back in print?
I saw on the TGS site it was offered for sale.
If it is I highly suggest people buy it.
It will be the only book you need to start and grow tomatoes.
Your ongoing experience should take care of the rest.

Worth
No Worth, it's not back in print but Linda at TGS had been sandbagging a cariton of them for a couple of years and when I called her last week about something she mentioned that she finally decided to sell them at the original price and that offer was only at the website,not in the catalog.

And somewhere around here I mentioned that ASAP after she told me b/c there are only 12 copies/carton, well 11, b'c she insisted on sending me one even tho I keep one here by the computer and have two pristine ones in the backroom, waiting for the price to hit 1000 at which point I'll cash out and put the 2 K towards my bittersweet chocolate budget, good diabetic that I am.

Carolyn
Old December 30, 2013   #403
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Amazon has some copies available from private sellers, but none of them seem to ship outside the U.S. - one less temptation for me! It's a pity, I wanted to read this book...
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2013   #404
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
No Worth, it's not back in print but Linda at TGS had been sandbagging a cariton of them for a couple of years and when I called her last week about something she mentioned that she finally decided to sell them at the original price and that offer was only at the website,not in the catalog.

And somewhere around here I mentioned that ASAP after she told me b/c there are only 12 copies/carton, well 11, b'c she insisted on sending me one even tho I keep one here by the computer and have two pristine ones in the backroom, waiting for the price to hit 1000 at which point I'll cash out and put the 2 K towards my bittersweet chocolate budget, good diabetic that I am.

Carolyn
I'm going to get in on the action for when they hit 1000.
I just placed an order for 2 of them we will see if they still have them in stock.
Yes I am greedy.
I already have one maybe these 2 will go to a special person or 2.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2013   #405
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Dee, I happento have my book next to me b'c of a question asked. So I looked at that picture and see nothing fuzzy at all, and it sure isn't Velvet Red, whichI got from Joe Bratka, many years ago:
Are we talking about the same picture? The one I thought was inquired about was the very first color picture in the book, just after the green fly leaf - it has the book title printed over it in white typeface. It sure looks like a velvety fuzz to me, both leaf and slightly hairy fruit. I wonder if you are talking about the beautiful plant on the flip side of that page which is opposite the real title page?

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote