Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 24, 2013   #376
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

sound in pretty good condition but are paperback. Worth investigating. Some of the books are fulfilled by Amazon so if you

&&&&&

Paperback? The original is a flexible somewhat hard cover, but there never was a true paperback edition.

Carolyn
Old June 24, 2013   #377
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

It's not really a hardbound copy but not what you think of as paperback. Maybe that is just the designation they chose.
Old June 25, 2013   #378
dice
Tomatovillian™

There is a difference between "mass-market paperback" and
"trade paperback":
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/trade+paperback

(There is a subset of trade paperback known as "trade
paperback comics".)
Old June 25, 2013   #379
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dice View Post
There is a difference between "mass-market paperback" and
"trade paperback":
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/trade+paperback

(There is a subset of trade paperback known as "trade
paperback comics".)
I know. If you look at the NYTimes or even my Sunday paper you'll see both mass market and trade paperback listings, but my book is neither one for the simple reason that the covers are not paper.

Carolyn
Old June 25, 2013   #380
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronabarb View Post
Vladimir, this book is worth having for just the pictures alone...even if your English is not so good! :-D
I like „ingenious“ books. I have one like this about tomatoes in Czech language, which I read several times each year from 1972 y. Other book about tomatoes don´t exist in Czech republic. I think that this book could be interesting for me. But I must attest, if I am abilited to read English text. I must cut off Google translator and I must read texts in English in the first time and after it with translator.
I can wish this book to christmas from my son.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2013   #381
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Am I reading the price right on your books carolyn? I think someone is trying to make a huge buck on your book. I will be getting one for sure because I really want to learn as much as I can about tomatoes, especially heirlooms.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/100-...=9780761114000

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2013   #382
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
Am I reading the price right on your books carolyn? I think someone is trying to make a huge buck on your book. I will be getting one for sure because I really want to learn as much as I can about tomatoes, especially heirlooms.

If you mean the new copies at almost $100, yes that and even higher prices are being asked for new copies at several places, up to about $300 if you look around.

Why do you think I'm saving the four pristine copies I still have here at home? When the price hits near $1000 I'll maybe sell and make a few dollars.

If you read this whole thread you'll see some of those high prices mentioned.

Carolyn
Old June 26, 2013   #383
kevinrs
Tomatovillian™

I don't think people really buy those, at those prices. The seller though, can hold it there for a few years waiting on someone to click buy without researching it.
There are now much cheaper copies available used on amazon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post

kevinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2013   #384
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinrs View Post
I don't think people really buy those, at those prices. The seller though, can hold it there for a few years waiting on someone to click buy without researching it.
There are now much cheaper copies available used on amazon.
Yes, there are many places where used copies are available, but I've been speaking of prices for new copies as discussed in this thread.

Carolyn
Old June 26, 2013   #385
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Amazing, you must be very proud of yourself that you command a very high price, that is a good thing as far as I can tell. I did see the used ones and prices are decent on them.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2013   #386
kevinrs
Tomatovillian™

A while back, there were no reasonable prices at the major booksellers, even for used copies. You could use the same strategy as these sellers of "new" copies are using, by posting yours for sale now, at the price you set. Just be sure they are put away somewhere you can find them for when sometime someone clicks buy, even if it's years from now. You could even add the bonus of signing them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Yes, there are many places where used copies are available, but I've been speaking of prices for new copies as discussed in this thread.

Carolyn
kevinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2013   #387
dpurdy
Tomatovillian™

I received my copy of "100 Heirloom Tomatoes" today. I purchased it from Smith & Hawken for around $25.00. I finally got to see a picture of Carolyn on the inside back cover. It's always nice to be able to put a face to all the posts that I've read. I purchased this copy as a used item, but it arrived in pristine condition.
dpurdy
dpurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2013   #388
papadennis
Tomatovillian™

Default Heirloom tomatoes

I too grow only heirloom tomatoes now. As a matter of fact, I planted over 85 varieties (200 plants). I plan on selling some at farmer's markets, some as a U-pick, and save the seeds and sell them online this fall and winter(since heirlooms are open pollinated, they will always grow true to their variety, unlike hybrids. Carolyn's book was so helpful in selecting my varieties. It is the best Heirloom tomato book on the market. Another one that you might want to consider is Amy Goldman's book, "The Heirloom Tomato: From Garden to Table". This book was also very helpful to me. I have been growing heirloom tomatoes for over 40 years now and would be happy to share any information that I have, with you or any other tomatovillians.

Dennis Mercier a.k.a Mr Tomatohead
papadennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2013   #389
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn,

Your book is still the best out of all tomato books I own, and I show it pretty much to everyone who cares enough (or just polite enough) to hear me talking about tomatoes.

Just thought I'd let you know

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2013   #390
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tania View Post
Carolyn,

Your book is still the best out of all tomato books I own, and I show it pretty much to everyone who cares enough (or just polite enough) to hear me talking about tomatoes.

Just thought I'd let you know
Thanks Tania, I appreciate that, I really do.

Do you remember the thread here where a comparison was made between Amy's book and mine, I do, and very interesting comments to say the least.

When I chose the varieties for the bookin 1998 I'd grown about 1200 varieties and now that's up to about 3,600 but there will be no second hundred book and I firmly refuse to answer questions about which of the newer varieties would I suggest at this point.

Lots of reasons for my refusal,which are quite personal.

Carolyn