Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 2, 2017   #361
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

You have every right to complain.
Looks like the devil is alive and well behind your house.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2017   #362
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

You definitely have every right to complain. I wonder if some of your neighbors are the type who will not touch anything until the insurance adjuster sees it for fear that they won't be compensated.

Several years ago we had a 50' tree blow down in a hurricane and the cleanup was covered by insurance. An adjuster didn't even come to look at it. I was just asked to submit a digital photo and that was it.

I was watching the news this morning and it was suggested that people should take videos or photos and start removing the wet stuff immediately.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2017   #363
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

We took pictures of everything outside on request of both car, RV and windstorm insurance companies. We also took pictures of the ceiling water damage. The only thing we can do inside was to put holes in all four corners and centers of laundry room and garage ceilings so a fan could move the air and get it to dry out some. Seems to be working and TWIA comes out Monday morning to check it all out.

I think they are all just lazy. That neighbor I am happy is moving doesn't give a hoot about anyone but himself. So glad they are moving. At least I hope they are still moving. The one on my left is a volunteer firefighter and has been working long days, but his wife and teenage boys are very capable. But they are lazy, when they mow, they don't weed eat, and they don't clean up any debris before they mow. Any paper in the yard is now shreds and blows into our yard with the wind. It's quite frustrating to say the least.

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; September 2, 2017 at 11:08 AM.
Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2017   #364
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

If the pastor of the ((church)) and his followers were real Christians or any other ideology for that matter they would have came over and asked how they could help.
As for the trash from other people I would simply give it back to them.

Worth
Old September 2, 2017   #365
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Just got back from picking up ice and more bottled water. They insisted I take some MRE's again. I have four boxes of those now. If we don't break into them I will take them to the homeless shelter or pass them out to the guys on the street corners.

They have food bbq there to start serving at 11:00. When hubby wakes up from a nap I will take him over there because it got my stomach to rumbling. I bought that awesome blackstone griddle to cook with but the mosquitos are so bad I can't stand out there without being covered and bitten all over. Hubby found some yard spray and used that this morning all around the yard, it helped some, but it's really bad out there.

When vector control sprays the neighborhood we get no satisfaction out of it. The wind blows it back toward the truck and my neighborhood so it doesn't get to the back yard, or the front yard for that matter. The big church behind us with it's acres of soccer field keeps it from coming to us when they spray that street. I am going to ask them to personally spray all of our yards out here because the mosquitos are so bad. I don't know if they will or not, but it's worth a try anyway.

I donated a lot of soaps, lotions, shampoos, razors, toothpaste, toothbrushes and all those body scrubbers I bought for the garden to trellis with, that didn't work very well. I'll take the 10 tennis balls I bought to donate to the animal shelter so they can pass them along. They can't believe I don't want canned goods, or personal products, but I explained I bought most of what I needed before coming home. Even hubby donated all of his extra personal products I stocked up on for him. I am a coupon'er, so all the canned goods and personal supplies I use, I buy with them.

I would often gather up extras or freebies and donate to the food pantry in Rockport, and it was about time to do that again. I don't know if they even survived the storm themselves. I don't buy a bunch of junk, I buy what I use and stack it in my makeshift pantry in my dining room. I have plenty of tomatoes and beans. About all I use that's canned anyway. Often there is a coupon for buy tuna pouch get beans free. I do that a lot, because we use black beans like crazy here. I think I have 6 cans of those left now and about the same for tuna. Time for that coupon to show up again.

Do you think I should add all my toys for tots stuff to this grouping? I have coloring books, coloring pencils, little battery operated tough trucks and the batteries for them. Should I donate that here instead of waiting till the end of the year?

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; September 2, 2017 at 12:31 PM.
Old September 2, 2017   #366
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Temporary lift on the ban on DDT?
Worth
Old September 2, 2017   #367
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Worth
Boy, that would sure be nice. Take a look at my post again. I added a lot more to it since you posted here.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old September 2, 2017   #368
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Glad to hear services are being restored. Hopefully once things settle down a bit, the neighborhood begins to get cleaned up.

Sometimes people just need time to get past the shock and reality of the situation before they can start actually dealing with it. Where you and your husband are jumping right in, maybe it'll help motivate others to get going soon.

As for the church, it may not have much of a staff and therefore relies on members to volunteer their time to keep the place running. These same members may have their hands full dealing with their own storm damage at home, or maybe some evacuated and haven't come back yet. It could take some time before getting the church's property cleaned up makes it to the top of their priority list.

Not defending any of them, just trying to keep an open mind. Although if I were there, I would probably feel the same frustration as you.

I hope things keep improving!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2017   #369
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
Glad to hear services are being restored. Hopefully once things settle down a bit, the neighborhood begins to get cleaned up.

Sometimes people just need time to get past the shock and reality of the situation before they can start actually dealing with it. Where you and your husband are jumping right in, maybe it'll help motivate others to get going soon.

As for the church, it may not have much of a staff and therefore relies on members to volunteer their time to keep the place running. These same members may have their hands full dealing with their own storm damage at home, or maybe some evacuated and haven't come back yet. It could take some time before getting the church's property cleaned up makes it to the top of their priority list.

Not defending any of them, just trying to keep an open mind. Although if I were there, I would probably feel the same frustration as you.

I hope things keep improving!
Yes, I thought about that with the church too. It was his way of handling the fence issue prior to the hurricane that really ticked me off. Like it was all our responsibility and then telling me I should just file an insurance claim for it. The nerve of that pastor was beyond my scope of understanding him.

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; September 2, 2017 at 12:43 PM.
Old September 2, 2017   #370
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Rock, have you seen many people from outside the area that have come down to help? If you need help cleaning up the mess around your place, you might call city hall and explain your need and see if they have info on where to ask. I bet they are there, you just need to find them.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2017   #371
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Internet and cable are out again. Power company is still working on lines next to my neighborhood.

We were headed out to walmart in the next town over since ours is closed from damage. Anywzy, we were looking for some yard spray and other things on our list. As I was getting into the truck I heard a horn blowing behind me. It was the red cross delivering supplies.

Do you need cleaning supplies? Oh, no thanks I'm good with that.

Do you need a bucket? Hey sure, thanks.

Do you need a shovel and garden rake? Wow, yes. Thank you again.

Do you need gloves? Sure, got a hole worn in mine. Thanks. They gave me two pair.

Do you need trash bags? Well, yes was just going to get some.

Do you need a tarp? Wow, yes the car top blew off in the storm. Their all sold out in the stores. Thanks again. Hubby just came in and said the tarp covered the entire car.

Finally, before i walked away the man said give her one of our buckets with the brushes in it and throw in some snacks.

Wow, made shopping a little easier. The tools are lightweight and the shovel is short like I need.
Amazed and thankful can't even describe how we feel right now. After all the expenses we've had so far, it was nice to have some help.

Well, battery is dying again so signing out.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old September 2, 2017   #372
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Worth
Crop dusting Bti will work too and less environmental problems.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2017   #373
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Steve, yes there have been huge convoys coming in since yesterday. I'd love to have help, but my problems are nothing compared to others. We'll just keep plugging along.

I got the rest of the small stuff picked up for hubby. He has more big stuff like fencing that's down to move but we don't have anymore room for piles in our yard. We'll just keep plugging along.

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; September 2, 2017 at 07:09 PM.
Old September 2, 2017   #374
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Just came off road trip from Pa to Florida and was following the reports.Keep in mind Western Unions are great for communication when sending cold hard cash that is needed when banks and atms are down.First things that went are screenings,tarps,rolls of plastic,etc.CB radios still work.We bought all the ear protection for the portable generators that you will hear 24/7 now.Gasoline theft and accidents trying to pull gas from tanks and car are scary and dangerous.Found out back in the day dipping a warm beer in gasoline letting evaporate about 10-15 times will almost make it freeze.In the mornings hang three buckets of water in a tree,in a circle ,above a empty bucket with your holes drilled,and its hot/warm water when needed for that shower.Some people here did not get power for months after our dance with Hurricane Andrew.Will keep reading and posting if I can help in any way for you guys.p.s.your ups,usps,kinkos,all/most have the faxes,scanners,hybrid stores(both)mailboxes,scales,and if lucky a check cashing store nearby.Set up a surrogate address,get those up and running parts needed for the fields,and. Amazon will deliver on Sundays nowadays,some packed in dry ice for some mailed comfort if you will.

Last edited by kurt; September 2, 2017 at 09:34 PM.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2017   #375
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Kurt, lots of great info. Thankfully I won't need to find a tree for water buckets to get a warm shower.

WE HAVE POWER NOW!
YAY!!!!

Sadly, there will be thousands more out there waiting for power to come on. :-(

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; September 2, 2017 at 09:28 PM.