Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 2, 2015   #346
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
Marsha, I have Carbon Copy (cherry) seeds as well. If you like. Great for Fall.
Thank you Ella, but I have those too.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2015   #347
Jonnyhat
Tomatovillian™

that wasp a few pages back is a cicadia killer, they are not typically aggressive to humans.
Jonnyhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2015   #348
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnyhat View Post
that wasp a few pages back is a cicadia killer, they are not typically aggressive to humans.
Thank you, Jonnyhat.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2015   #349
Jonnyhat
Tomatovillian™

no prob, i know alot about flying/stinging creatures being I am allergic. They really have one mission and that is to hunt and kill cicadias, but you definately do not want to get stung by one.
Jonnyhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2015   #350
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Still picking...
This year harvest already exceeded last year production by 65%. By far the best year ever despite all the deceases, bugs and rodents. Our secret is fish (lots of it) added to the soil as soon as the season is over and a little more before the beginning. Whatever part of fish we do not eat goes into the soil (including containers that over-winterized).
And I sprayed with soap and Diatomaceous Earth to stop the spider mites.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2015-09-23 at 6.33.48 PM.png (369.7 KB, 146 views)

Old September 23, 2015   #351
KC.Sun
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
Still picking...
This year harvest already exceeded last year production by 65%. By far the best year ever despite all the deceases, bugs and rodents. Our secret is fish (lots of it) added to the soil as soon as the season is over and a little more before the beginning. Whatever part of fish we do not eat goes into the soil (including containers that over-winterized).
And I sprayed with soap and Diatomaceous Earth to stop the spider mites.

Ella,

Shrimp shells is a good one to add too. We added those directly to the soil when the season was over.
KC.Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2015   #352
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Thank you, KC.Sun. We do add them as well, just do not have as many. Since we fish, the access of fish guts and the rest is plentiful. Lobster shells takes longer to decay, nevertheless they do.

Old September 24, 2015   #353
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

You had one heck of a great season. So tell us what your favorites were in each category? If you want to expose such dear info that is lol Seriously nice job on your thread.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2015   #354
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

AKmark, I may not be able to pick just few that were great. I will try to mention varieties that worth growing for the unique taste and will post their productivity.

Grightmire's Pride (heart, pink) 10.5 pounds
Taste was great from the start. Sweet and tart at the same time, firm fruit. Not soft tomato. I kept few in refrigerator for about a month for my in low. Better that Anna Russian by far in taste but smaller in size. Enough to say that this one I would share with family only. While other tomatoes were given to family, friends and neighbors.

Grandfather Ashlock (p, PL) 9.6 pounds. Great tasting tomato. Growing this one second year. Taste is different to most pink tomatoes, has some unique tone. Unified flattened form. Love it. It was next to super aggressive tomato, would produce more if given some space.

NOT Carbon (bl, RL) was not black but pink. 24 pounds. Not my seeds, they are from original packet. Cross that taste great and produce great as well. Firm tomatoes staying refrigerated well for a long time.

NOT Cherokee Chocolate (br, RL) my seeds. Love Cherokee Chocolate, planted from my seeds saved from 2014 and it happen to be a cross. Most likely with Claude Brown’s Y. Giant. Great tasting tomatoes, super meaty and beautiful orange color. This one gave 22 pounds while real Claude Brown’s Y. Giant was at about 7 but still have few big tomatoes to ripen. The taste is not bland at all, more acidic than sweet but not super acidic. Great in salads, salsa, perfect for sandwiches (sizes of the larger once in ounces: 13.8, 16.3, 11.9, 12.9, 11.4, 9.2, 14.8, 11.9, 15.3, 15.1, 8.7, 10.3, 10.9, 13.5, 15.1, 9.1, 10.9, 8.4, 12.4, 9.3, 10.4, 16.7, 12.4). Not to many seeds, I collected some. Stay refrigerated well.

Biyskaya Roza (p, RL) * very good taste!!! O boy, this one we treat as gold. Tart and sweet. Makes you say WOW. Got seeds from Tania. 8.6 pounds of medium size fruits. Will plant more than one next year. Do not like to share this one.

Fred Limbaugh (p, PL) * good. About 11 pounds of fruits that you will not share. They are that good. I have soft spot for PL varieties.

Bear Creek (bl, RL)* was great tasting but was hit hard with deceases. Was able to pick 6 pounds. Will grow again.

Girl Girl's Weird Thing (bl) * good. Beautiful black variety. About 6 pounds. Great taste, my BIL favorite. Will be back.

Black Master and Sara black (bl, RL). Two of the early black tomatoes. Juicy and consistently tasty even with rains. A bit less than 10 pounds each. Repeatedly coming back. Will not stay refrigerated for long.

Blackberry (bl, RL) good, super good. My new favorite black tomato. If I can plant only one black tomato this would be the one. 11.2 pounds. Sweetest of all black but not bland-sweet. Not for salads or salsa or sandwiches, for eating as is. You will be cutting this one and it will be disappearing from the plate instantaneously.

Indian Stripe (bl, RL) and JD's Special C-Tex (bl, RL) both big black beautiful maters making plants. Taste similarly great. Juicy, excellent on sandwich. 12.5/13.7 pounds respectfully. Regrowing few years. If you are not getting similar results find new seeds. You can frame picture of either of them, beauties.

Barlow Jap (p, PL) 13 pounds. Great taste. Last year did not produce for me but surprised with excellent taste. Glad I gave it second chance.

Cowlick Brandywine (p, PL) late variety same as last year. Gave 17 pound already and hope to get some more. Firm and tasty. Happy to have at the end of the season. Had to pick about 12 pounds of green once in early November last year, they ripened nicely. Was a treat to have in early December my own tomatoes.

Brandywine Sudduth (p, PL) 14 pounds. Similar in many ways to Cowlick Brandywine. Was a bit earlier.

Elgin Pink (p, PL) nice unique taste. 21 pounds of greatness. If I had to pick one pink this would be the one. Biyskaya Roza is the only one that taste better but EP production is much more superior, at least this year.

Last but not least: Sweet Sue (PL) not dwarf gave us as of right now 31.75 pounds. A bit sweet and definitely acidic fruits. They were my seeds from 2014. Cross or not, do not know.

Sorry, AKmark, too many to choose from. This once were great.
Hope it helps. I am sure everyone reading it will hate me later when looking for more seeds...
TV does it to u.

enjoy

Pay back by posting your best varieties!!!

Old September 24, 2015   #355
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Pink favorites, BW Sudduth's, f4 (PL) BW Sudduth's mystery cross, Rebel Yell, Crnkovic Yugoslavian. The f4 is very interesting, it is like a 12 oz BW taste compacted into a 5-7 ounce fruit.

Red beefsteak favorites, CHAPMAN]... I gnawed on those all summer, and they do not disappoint, the aftertaste is a profound great tomato taste. Delicious was very good again, much different good taste than Chapman. Andrew Rahart's Jumbo Red was good too, smooth and delicious. My f3 BW X Bloody Butcher is also very good, I saved seeds from 3 of 18 plants, for f4 selections next year, explaining those warrants another thread.

Standard Red tomatoes, Druzba, Maiden's Kiss, BW X BB f1, BB X Dester f1, f4 BW Sudduth's mystery cross, same great taste as the pink one only a different color. I saved seeds from both for next year.

Yellow, Yellow BW just does great for me, I have no idea how many tomatoes I picked from 4 plants, those things grow like tree tomatoes for me. KBX also did very well, both taste great. Hillbilly is another I like and grow every year.

Amana Orange is a orange I like, I get huge perfect fruit, but they are shy producers for me, 3 years in a row too. Juane Flammee grows like a weed, good too.

Bear Creek seems to work pretty good for me for the most part. I had a surprise this year, I did do Cherokee Purple outside, I was impressed that the fruit was fabulous, and it produced pretty good too. Bear Creek also produced outside for me, about 10lbs on a small plant. I wonder if others in the north have had decent luck with CP?

That's my short list Ella, have a good fall season

Last edited by AKmark; September 24, 2015 at 06:37 PM.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2015   #356
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Ella, Biyskaya Roza was on my grow list for this year and then I changed my mind. I have the seeds from Tania so it's in for 2016! Love your list and your photos. My season has finished. Lots to think about for next year....
Sharon
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2015   #357
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

AKmark, you always surprise us with different projects you do. I am glad you liked CP. My old seeds refused to germinate and the new did not come soon enough. Bear Creek started very well, than rain came and it was surrounded by big plants. I should have sprayed sooner. Had to cut a lot of the infected stems. It recovered somewhat. Still tasted great. Many of your crosses sounds as something worth trying. Wish you best in the next season.

Sharon, BR is definitely one of the tastiest tomato I have grown. Go for it.

Old September 24, 2015   #358
Rockandrollin
Tomatovillian™

"Girl Girl's Weird Thing (bl) * good. Beautiful black variety. About 6 pounds. Great taste, my BIL favorite. Will be back."

Sorry, I'm a newbie, what is BIL?
Rockandrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2015   #359
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockandrollin View Post
"Girl Girl's Weird Thing (bl) * good. Beautiful black variety. About 6 pounds. Great taste, my BIL favorite. Will be back."

Sorry, I'm a newbie, what is BIL?
Brother in law

Old September 25, 2015   #360
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

efi,

What an excellent thread! I've just read it from the beginning and it's a beautiful photo journal of your hard work and planning.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote