Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 9, 2016   #331
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Ron, phosphorus does not move very well through the soil. Due to that fact, I would like for you to put some of it deeper around the edges of your container. You have just recently planted these so the roots wont be seriously heavy there and then the phosphorus will be in the root zone for the plants to use. You could also drill a few holes and drop some in if you would rather do that.

Regards ~ Patti
Old August 9, 2016   #332
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Patti..I am sorry I actually mixed it with the soil and then applied the soil and then put 2 litres of water on each drum...in the early hours of this morning...

Now ...I am still completely devoid of answers of what is actually going on here....The Black from Tula are growing and producing new flowers but unlike the Tasty Toms and the Unknown flowers which are bright yellow and completely open or is that "in Bloom" ...The Black from Tula's do not bloom and for want of a better description are 1/2 open......I do not understand why this could be...The only thing I can think of is its something passed on from the Lisa King (its flowers are exactly the same) Because Its got a big single green tomato on it I do not like ditching it and will I achieve anything by doing it as obviously the Black from Tulas cannot be revived ...
Now my memory is bad but the Lisa King has not always been sitting in the freezer with the Black from Tulas ..it was one of the last to be removed from the original freezer....Later I will go through photos and check any out I have of my Black from Tula ....
One Black from Tula is going a lighter green ....while the Tasty Toms and the "unknown" plant just continues to grow and the flowers are blooming.. ....The second freezer has now heat underneath...although I still have a problem but hope to get it fixed up soon...

Also I am wondering if I should be more conservitive with cost....The Tui Super Phosphate cost $9 for 1.5 litres...After doing my plants there is not much left and No doubt I may use a lot more in the future....I have just had a flyer put in my letter box for gardening requirements that a sports club uses annually for raising money..I presume this is a commercial brand but I will ring and ask them...but Super Phosphate is $9 for 8 litres...or 15kg for $15...and I presume Super Phosphate is Super Phosphate ..IE it does not have additives or does it...
Also I am getting bad at repeating myself and my spelling is getting erratic so I apologise for that..

Regards Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FERTILIZ.jpg (418.2 KB, 40 views)
murihikukid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2016   #333
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Patti..I checked an article on Tomato flowers ...mainly it said ( I think ) the problems I am having are from lighting..then I suddenly thought whats the difference between freezer one and freezer two ?????...2 x 5 foot Fluoro Tubes ......So later today I will shift the two from my original freezer to freezer two ...I nearly got all my planter bags emptied today but am one plastic drum short and hope to get all that work done by the weekend as long as the weather holds......and a hospital social worker is coming around so maybe I can get her to arrange an xray on my arm which is causing me problems ...I finally wired up the 4th HSP 250W light...but it would not go...First thing I checked the fuse and its blown so hopefully thats what it is and will get another tomorrow ...Oh yes one electric tooth brush has arrived...that was quick and a real saving for me...

I wonder if I should get a long spoon and sort of mix the soil up round the outside of the drums to get the Phosphorus deeper down in the drum...

Regards Ron
Old August 10, 2016   #334
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Ron your Superphosphate from the fund raiser looks like a good deal. I do not know if X=X there in New Zealand. Here in the States we have phosphate, superphosphate and triple superphosphate to differentiate between product strengths. Just be aware of what the middle number is on the package.

Let's see how your plants do with the change of lighting. Obviously you have learned more than I knew there.

I think that you will have fun with the new toothbrush...

Regards ~ Patti
Old August 11, 2016   #335
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Patti...I now have the last three seasons of tomato soil put in plastic drums and covered from rain out of the way...A huge job done and it looks like the weather is changing..The greenhouse is still basicly covered so i will clean it out by broom then Jeyes Fluid it all to kill any nasties then make a roof..take the old roof off and fit the new one...This afternoon I was that had it I went inside and had a nice sleep and now at Midnight I am up and cooking tea and on to putting two more Fluoro tubes up ..This will be interesting to see if it helps...I have already made my decision cause I have just ordered and paid for three more of the 6 + 1 light fittings ...These make a lot of sense to me cause one can alter the lights by frequency or strength depending on the bulbs one uses...the one I have I can use on my seed propagator ...and that fireplace has to come out this weekend ..End of story..If he wants it he removes it otherwise I will attack it???

I rang the sellers of the gardening Fertilizer and was supposed to ring back and forgot..I need more info about whether they are commercial brands or just made up and if so do they have a listing of ingredients......Never mind will do it tomorrow ...I checked out a drape I was really interested in at a charity shop and found it was 1/2 price day but the drape had gone....
So its time now and more decent weather and I might just make it...

Regards Ron
Old August 11, 2016   #336
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Default Terrible...

Patti ..Not Tomatoes ....Got one light hung by 3m meantime somebody either while I was sleeping or after I woke up round midnight came on the property and stole my good bike..I am devastated ..but its My own fault...

Anyway I am trying to do a lot of cleaning up and came across bags of dried hedge clippings ...be cause my 2015 soil is so wet and will not be used for at least 3 years should I put these leaves in the barrels with the soil and I am sure they will then break up....

I am trying to get everything ready for when the glass arrives topmorrow...So I will take all the glass doors etc out of the Shipping container ...Meaasure and record the size of each one and put them in the rear garage which I am now cleaning out...With everything measured I can then get a good idea of the plans and of course I can put the new glass in the shipping container tomorrow..

Regards Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LEAVES.jpg (447.7 KB, 27 views)
Old August 12, 2016   #337
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Patti..I have the other two Fluoro lights hung up..i did them without a mishap..unusual for me....I see I have Warm Light on one Freezer and cool day on the other ??? I might change a couple of the bulbs over to give me a combination on each freezer.

I am now going to check the wiring on the 250 W HPS lights and try them out....but the more I look at differing plant hights and the way I have to slope the Fluoro fittings I get more convinced a centre 6 + 1 would do both freezers....Lets hope there are no thiefs on my property tonight...
Regards Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2493.jpg (349.6 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by murihikukid; August 12, 2016 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Wrong Photo
Old August 12, 2016   #338
MissS
Tomatovillian™

The leaves and clippings will be a great addition to you soil. You can mix some in with your saved soil in the containers and you can also mix some of them into the soil you will be using next year.

I usually alternate warm and cool bulbs for my plants but with all of those lights, I don't see this as being much of a problem for you.

Oh gosh darn... I'm so sorry to hear about your bike. Have you called the police? Was it insured? How are you going to get around now??? I would hope that the town is small enough that your bike would be found in short order and that this selfish person will be reprimanded. People just do not use their heads and find it fun to be cruel to others.

Regards ~ Patti
Old August 12, 2016   #339
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Default Finally done it...

Patti..The Lisa King is gone...I saw disease on the fruit and took it off and the whole plant is going outside to be destroyed ...
But
I hope you can see by my photo the Black from Tula ...while the lower leaves are looking down in colour the top leaves are very yellowish IE more yellow than green and the fireplace?? well a hammer is useful after the stove has gone...I should have done this weeks ago...
I have just had a phone call that the glass is on its way....and he has just arrived.....These glass sections are huge ..so there is really some thought has to go in on how best to use them..

Hope the Tomato picture is clear enough to give you an idea of what the deficiency is

Regards Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2501.JPG (519.0 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2502.jpg (385.7 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2503.jpg (376.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2504.JPG (86.7 KB, 25 views)
Old August 13, 2016   #340
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Ron I would take some more photos of your Not Black from Tula and post them in the "Common Disease and Pest" forum right away. This seems to have happened very fast.

Keep this plant away from your others. Give it a light dose of Seasol. Spray it with your copper and then wait to hear what others think is going on. There are many people here that have far more experience with diseases than I have. Let's hear what they have to say.

Good Luck with your glass ~ Patti
Old August 13, 2016   #341
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Patti I will do the photos now and see If I can get more light from outside even if I have to take down curtains and the window cover ..Its important to get good natural light photos...so will stop my concrete slab busting and get them done...

Now I cannot isolate it ..I cannot move it by myself and if I tried I would do that much damage to everything ....It seems that it is only the one plant....and if the worst comes to the worst and if its a disease I will have to dig it out of the drum...

I am not happy?? I worked most of yesterday and 1/2 the night and most of today so far on removing the fire place and the concrete slab its on...the concrete slab has nearly killed me but its nearly finished ..Problem was I never had the right tools EH heavy enough hammer....Why am I not happy?? Well after all a neighbours promises about removing it for me cause he wants it ...he knows I have now removed the fireplace by myself and he knows I am having trouble with the slab as I asked him if he could give me advice...(yes I will come round soon??) .....I have nearly done it???..It actually gets easier as the slab decreases in size...but where is he .......???.

Maybe I expected too much but its not the way I operate....

I will be back soon...Regards Ron

Last edited by murihikukid; August 14, 2016 at 12:01 AM.
Old August 14, 2016   #342
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Patti..If I had checked my email earlier I perhaps could have got natural light photos but its 4.30pm here and although its a beautiful day the sun has moved too much to the west to get full sunlight in my front windows...I did everything possible...I removed the curtains and the window cover to get light in but still the flash on my camera went off..So thats all I can do cause I have to redo the window and curtains cause it could rain or be a frost tonight ...either way if I do not restore everything I could do untold damage to all my plants....Even now I see a very light dust has got into my fully curtained "greenhouse" from my knocking down the concrete slab....

Unfortunately my right arm is only 1/2 working and terribly painfull...it should have been exrayed months ago when the accident happened ....but that is what happens here ...

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...767#post586767

The Photos are posted..

Regards Ron...

Last edited by murihikukid; August 14, 2016 at 01:16 AM.
Old August 14, 2016   #343
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Patti...I am excited ?? Its amazing.. a completely new house with that heating fire thing gone ...I have cleaned most of the mess...and wiped all my shelves and what is on them clean?? well as good as I could do.. Blown air on my tomatoes to remove any dust and Watered them all and will now put some tea on and let it cook while I hang up the curtains....Tomorrow I will give it another couple of go overs with my vacuum cleaner..

It 300% better and I can now get the third freezer inside which will give me that extra growing space I need for the coming seasons plants and no Lisa king to look at??
The Tasty Toms are still doing great apart from the stunted one and of course we do not know if it is a Tasty Tom....there is one Tasty Tom at the back left and its a magnificent plant ...Its really coming on in leaps and bounds..

I might try and put a cover on the broken window that comes off easy to let the natural sunlight in....The window frame is that bad its not worth replacing the glass ...It really needs a whole complete frame for the 3 front windows...Something will come up .....
You may see in my photos 2 x 250W HPS lights are now working and the temperature has sure changed....There are two more to be fitted ?? and the four of them will have to throw light across the three freezer shell...but I am really interested in what sort of result I can get with the 6 + 1 light fitting....
Regards Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2509.jpg (274.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2510.jpg (289.0 KB, 21 views)
Old August 15, 2016   #344
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Hi Ron, I saw your new pictures of your plants and they look much better than what was shown above. The above pictures had me thinking that the leaves were very mottled. Your pictures with the sunlight do show that the plant needs some feeding. If I am correct, you just recently gave your plants some calcium and some general tomato fertilizer. Based on that, I agree to feed them some Epsom salts with your next watering. The magnesium will also help with the uptake of the calcium. That was my Bad. I always feed calcium and magnesium together, but I forgot to tell you that. Sigh...

I am glad that you are so happy to have the fireplace removed. It was a lot of work for you to do by yourself. Did the neighbor ever come to give you a hand or was he there to pick it up after you were all done? Please take some time out and get that arm checked. You have been complain for awhile now so I am getting concerned. Let's not lose an arm over getting a greenhouse done. If there is not arm for the work, the greenhouse is naught.

Regards ~ Patti
Old August 15, 2016   #345
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Patti..I am getting lost here ....Will I do what Ginger suggests in my disease thread ...I gave them Phosphate last ...I should have a diary on what I have given them ...Its only one plant thats gone yellow..which raises the question should I just treat it or do everything .and what about Copper ..Do you want me to spray them and Plantmate etc ...
My friend appeared when it was done although he took the flue pipe out and put a cover on the hole in the roof ....I have got another bike but got to get up town to pick it up and the foot lady is coming round and I have to get money to pay her as I was denied at the ATM machine yesterday because I put the wrong pin number in too many times??? I had a momentary loss of my number??So I am disorganised..I also worked late last night/this morning trying to clean the house and then woke up with a headache etc and when I tested my blood it was 3.9 so i am just starting to come right...
I have just checked the third freezer and I can get four drums in it..so I need to clean it and the drums and get the heating round the drums sorted which I will do in the greenhouse and get it inside and then I have to set up lighting etc ....I will then at long last have a home for the last survivor of the original Tasty Tom Laterals...Yes one is still growing but the head that broke off that I planted is not looking good...

Regards Ron