Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 29, 2017   #331
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
For any of you from Texas, I'm worried about two folks and possibly more who we haven't heard from. And no sense my spending time Googling to see where they are to see if the flooding impacted them.

One is imp (suzy) who is in Wichita Falls

The other one is Spooky Shoe,aka Donna Nelson, from Seabrook Tx and I know she's near the coast since her DH goes fishing a lot.

Carolyn

I'm okay from any hurricane damages, Carolyn, Wichita Falls is not in the areas affected by this mess. WF is north and west of Ft. Worth by a couple hours on HY 287, near the Oklahoma border (30 miles or so to the Red River).

Another poster maybe missing is the fella from The Woodlands, near north Houston; his area would become islands during a good rain, let alone the torrential downpours that are happening own in south Texas now. Can't think of his screen name right now.

Big hug to Carolyn, just cause.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2017   #332
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

FYI!!! Everyone in Texas should read this.
http://www.texaslawyer.com/id=120279...20170730124707
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2017   #333
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

The event isn't over. I don't see how the law can apply.

A friend of mine lives in Katy near Houston. He recorded 30.5" rain before it slacked off. He says the water came up within an inch of his front step and garage sill before that. (He still had power and internet.)

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

Last edited by dmforcier; August 30, 2017 at 07:55 PM.
dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2017   #334
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Sure hope that Rockporter and hubby make it back home safe. Seeing today's news it sure didn't look any better with more rain and flooding and now that explosion that they say coming for sure in the next week. Any of you Texans near it and having to evacuate?

What about animal shelters? Anybody know the name of any of them that have taken in pets? I know the one year forget which storm it was, but we had gathered supplies and medicines and sent a vet tech with all to go down and help with the animals. I know they have to be taxed too. Bad enough folks losing their homes, it even worse when they lose their furry friends.

The cutiest thing I saw on news was that one dog who left home, walked through flood waters and came back home carrying his own personal bag of dog food. Too cute.

Local news here said they have loads of boats and volunteers to go help but that they won't be sending them til next week. Seems kinda late to me. They should be sending them now.

Ga. and AL. all have electric trucks and personnel ready to go to help as soon as waters go down, but still will be long time before things even seem to start to get back to normal. Lets hope that it another 500 years before such a thing happens again.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2017   #335
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

FEMA will likely move in a bunch of trailers to house those that need temp housing. We had that option after the tornado, but thankfully didn't have to go that route. It quickly became a haven for our criminal element. It was always on the news for the crime. Shootings, robberies, rapes, drugs, etc. all were commonplace.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2017   #336
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
Thank you everyone, it will be interesting to say the least when we get close to home. I guess things are really bad out there.

Sue, yes I figured it would eat gas but we decided to get that specific generator anyway so hubby could work on the trailer and have power to it. I suppose if it gets way too hot we could hook the generator to the trailer and buy some smaller ones for the refer and freezer. The generator we purchased has the 50 amp on it to run the RV, so a win win and we have a/c if that is still working in the RV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
Sure hope that Rockporter and hubby make it back home safe. Seeing today's news it sure didn't look any better with more rain and flooding and now that explosion that they say coming for sure in the next week. Any of you Texans near it and having to evacuate?

What about animal shelters? Anybody know the name of any of them that have taken in pets? I know the one year forget which storm it was, but we had gathered supplies and medicines and sent a vet tech with all to go down and help with the animals. I know they have to be taxed too. Bad enough folks losing their homes, it even worse when they lose their furry friends.

The cutiest thing I saw on news was that one dog who left home, walked through flood waters and came back home carrying his own personal bag of dog food. Too cute.

Local news here said they have loads of boats and volunteers to go help but that they won't be sending them til next week. Seems kinda late to me. They should be sending them now.

Ga. and AL. all have electric trucks and personnel ready to go to help as soon as waters go down, but still will be long time before things even seem to start to get back to normal. Lets hope that it another 500 years before such a thing happens again.
Mike Bettis with the Weather Channel was storm chasing and was right behind the tornado that hit us. The destruction and death made such an impact on him that he came back about 2 months after the storm to attend a big animal adoption from our Humane Society with pets displaced from the storm. Mike Bettis adopted a Golden Retriever and named him Joplin. He has talked about him a few times in the WC.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2017   #337
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Starlight, I've heard it referred to as a "millennial event" or 1000 year flood. But serious weather folks are saying that they're not so sure: there's really nothing that unusual about it, except that the system got stalled, which happens sometimes. The rainfall amounts in terms of the storm are common, but storms usually move, spreading their rain across a long track, and this one didn't.

The other thing to consider is that, considering runoff control, Houston is located in about the worst place in Texas to put a major city. Historically, this could have been a whole lot worse. (E.g. historic flood record is ~54? feet; this one 'only' got to 38? feet.)

But I agree with your sentiment. At least another 500 years, please.

We actually had about 10 minutes of light rain here yesterday. C'mon guys, spread it around!

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2017   #338
pondgardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post

Starlight,

I seen on the local news that Colorado Springs and Pueblo, Colorado are taking in dogs that have already arrived from the Houston area, as well as cats being taken by a sanctuary in Buena Vista, Colorado. And I am sure there are many other locales doing the same.

George

Old Proverb
pondgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2017   #339
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

I have lived in Houston since 1975. This storm is by far the worst. At least 45" of rain almost everywhere in Harris County. That is in the period Friday PM to Tuesday AM. THe Addicks and Barker dams are 70 years old and were breached. My daughter's home is normally 30' above the water over the Bayou. She had 10' of water in her home. That's right - ten feet.

I was blessed in that I did not have any flooding. Some people are still getting flooded as the rivers are overflowing their banks at record heights.

MikeInCypress
Old August 30, 2017   #340
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

gosh darnoodley is all I can say. Here are a few pictures of Texas City, my hometown....

The last two pictures are the street I grew up on...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TC 1.jpg (27.6 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg TC 2.jpg (94.8 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg TC3.jpg (38.8 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg TC4.jpg (52.9 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg 21222389_142791449655375_1342256979_o.jpg (331.5 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg 21222725_142791516322035_1484457434_o.jpg (262.3 KB, 132 views)
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2017   #341
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I saw that and worse at my house in Angleton several times and there wasn't a hurricane.
Just heavy rain.
One time I got out of bed only to set my feet down in 6 inches of water.
Point is that area just does not drain well.
Which brings up the question and observation.
In that area many of the older places were way up off the ground.
Modern times and developers come in and put stuff at ground level only to have it flooded out time after time.
Much of this is due to insurance.
We have tossed common sense and have learned to depend on it for when this stuff happens.

I had a visitor ask me one time on a drive in the country why some of the houses were up on stilts or over the garage.
I said flood water.
They also have a boat tied at the ready to escape.
They said but why are some of them on the ground.
My reply was they are stupid or ignorant of the fact of the floods.

If you look at Bayou Vista next to Galveston it is nothing but soil dug/dredged up from the bays/wamp to make canals.
The soil was then staked in rows like fingers to put houses on.
Most are like 3 to five feet above sea level.

Here is a picture of the place.

It is right across the way from Texas City and I know someone that lives there.
He is NOT a nice person.
Got kicked out of a collage football game for drinking, figure that one out.

I hate to sound cold hearted but if a person chooses to live in a place like this they are going to pay for it sooner or later.

Many places are flood plains for the rivers in south Texas.
They get on a rise and dump silt all over the place as they should and have for thousands if not millions of years.
There are untold thousands of people living in those flood plains.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2017   #342
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I saw that and worse at my house in Angleton several times and there wasn't a hurricane.
Just heavy rain.
One time I got out of bed only to set my feet down in 6 inches of water.
Point is that area just does not drain well.
Which brings up the question and observation.
In that area many of the older places were way up off the ground.
Modern times and developers come in and put stuff at ground level only to have it flooded out time after time.
Much of this is due to insurance.
We have tossed common sense and have learned to depend on it for when this stuff happens.

I had a visitor ask me one time on a drive in the country why some of the houses were up on stilts or over the garage.
I said flood water.
They also have a boat tied at the ready to escape.
They said but why are some of them on the ground.
My reply was they are stupid or ignorant of the fact of the floods.

If you look at Bayou Vista next to Galveston it is nothing but soil dug/dredged up from the bays/wamp to make canals.
The soil was then staked in rows like fingers to put houses on.
Most are like 3 to five feet above sea level.

Here is a picture of the place.

It is right across the way from Texas City and I know someone that lives there.
He is NOT a nice person.
Got kicked out of a collage football game for drinking, figure that one out.

I hate to sound cold hearted but if a person chooses to live in a place like this they are going to pay for it sooner or later.

Many places are flood plains for the rivers in south Texas.
They get on a rise and dump silt all over the place as they should and have for thousands if not millions of years.
There are untold thousands of people living in those flood plains.
We all pay, premiums don't come close to covering the risk.
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2017   #343
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nematode View Post
We all pay, premiums don't come close to covering the risk.
You know I honestly dont mind one way or another how it is paid for.
Insurance or the government.
I would munch rather my money go to this sort of thing here in the US as to some other waste.
To me this is where it belongs to help (((our)))) people.
If helping other people outside the US helps our people then that is good too.
Many people cant see or understand how helping other people helps us.

Worth
Old August 31, 2017   #344
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

WOW WOW WOW. 2 days ago the JJWatt fund had 3.4M and look at it now.

https://www.youcaring.com/victimsofh...eharvey-915053
Attached Images
File Type: png Capture.PNG (86.2 KB, 78 views)
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2017   #345
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
WOW WOW WOW. 2 days ago the JJWatt fund had 3.4M and look at it now.

https://www.youcaring.com/victimsofh...eharvey-915053

My/our country is not a place to be screwed with.
Sometimes it takes a storm to prove this.
(((THAT))) is the good that comes out of devastation and hardship.
It brings us all together.
It reminds us of who and what we are, it is a blessing.

Worth

Last edited by mdvpc; September 1, 2017 at 07:11 AM. Reason: political