Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old May 19, 2015   #316
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

My season is just about done, but BLUSH was a huge standout. I even cut the plants back and are letting them regenerate.

Extremely productive and sweet.

Of that list, the only other ones I planted was Sunrise BB and Purple BB. Sunrise was way more productive - huge for a cherry.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2015   #317
Paul R
Tomatovillian™

Will do Fred.

Paul R
Paul R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2015   #318
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Found it. Not the best pic, a bit too dark to show all the striping in Sunrise Bumble Bee. It was one really beautiful looking tomato. Very appropriately named. Looks just like a morning sky. Was my favoritest to see everyday last year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5d1bb4.jpg (46.3 KB, 311 views)
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2015   #319
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Nice photo! Are those still firm, or quite soft?

Out here, when they are that color I think they are over-ripe, but I do know that the degree of marbling varies greatly with environmental changes.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2015   #320
Bipetual
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
Found it. Not the best pic, a bit too dark to show all the striping in Sunrise Bumble Bee. It was one really beautiful looking tomato. Very appropriately named. Looks just like a morning sky. Was my favoritest to see everyday last year.
Ella, those are pretty! They do look darker than most photos I've seen, but sometimes that can be the light or the device I'm looking at. I was really bummed because I managed to kill my Pink Tiger seedling. But I ordered a Sunrise Bumblebee from Burpee to replace it and it came today. So glad I'll still get to grow an artisan creation!
Bipetual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2015   #321
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

They were quite firm. Since it was the first time I had grown them, I didn't really know when I should of picked them so actually they probably stayed on the vine longer than what they should have and they held up sitting on kitchen counter for a long while too before I ate some and saved seed from the rest.

It is one to definitely grow again. It was very productive for me even through the hottest and humid summer that we ever had. When it's 118F out and a tomato just shrugs it off and keeps on producing, it is one worth keeping for sure.
Old May 21, 2015   #322
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipetual View Post
Ella, those are pretty! They do look darker than most photos I've seen, but sometimes that can be the light or the device I'm looking at. I was really bummed because I managed to kill my Pink Tiger seedling. But I ordered a Sunrise Bumblebee from Burpee to replace it and it came today. So glad I'll still get to grow an artisan creation!
I have a cheap hp camera from Kmart from about 15 years ago , so it doesn't take the best pics. At least my big feet aren't in the pic like normal.

The fruits were actually lighter in color. Had orange, yellow and red streaks all over it.

What was nice was that it made clusters of tomatoes all at once. Generally 5 to 7 tomatoes and bunches of clusters all over the plant. You could actually have a nice little meal and share some too at the same time.

I hope you SBB does as well for you or even than mine did for me.
Old May 21, 2015   #323
Bipetual
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
I have a cheap hp camera from Kmart from about 15 years ago , so it doesn't take the best pics. At least my big feet aren't in the pic like normal.

The fruits were actually lighter in color. Had orange, yellow and red streaks all over it.

What was nice was that it made clusters of tomatoes all at once. Generally 5 to 7 tomatoes and bunches of clusters all over the plant. You could actually have a nice little meal and share some too at the same time.

I hope you SBB does as well for you or even than mine did for me.
Thanks! We'll have to compare notes as the season progresses.

By the way, in our family the proper way to take a photo is with your thumb in the picture!
Bipetual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2015   #324
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

One more question..
Is the Pink Tiger foliage similar to those of Blush?
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2015   #325
Paul R
Tomatovillian™

Hey Fred, I grew Pink, Purple and Sunrise Bumble Bee and Blush, Green and Pink Tiger this year. They all grew to 5-6' tall and very productive. Problem is we set a record rain fall amount from 1 June thro 31 July of over 19". By mid Aug. most people had plowed their gardens under, most plants didn't rebound after all the rain. The tomatoes that go into the garden every year lacked their normal flavors. That being said, I feel it is not fair to comment on the flavors of your tomatoes, Green Tiger may be my new tom. So I am hopping that next year will give me a chance of tasting Bumble Bees and Tigers a good go next season.

Paul R
Paul R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2015   #326
BackyardFarm
Tomatovillian™

Hi Fred Hempel! I'm wondering what the dtm for Marzano Fire is? I don't see one on the website. (i may have asked this before but I don't remember...)
BackyardFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2015   #327
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

65-75 days, depending on conditions. It sets pretty heavily in the first few weeks after that, and then production tapers off.
Old December 14, 2015   #328
BackyardFarm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
65-75 days, depending on conditions. It sets pretty heavily in the first few weeks after that, and then production tapers off.
Thank you!
BackyardFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2015   #329
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

I should also mention that I do think Marzano Fire is vigorous for a "classic" San Marzano-type tomato (with stripes, though). It also has a nice compact semi-determinate vine that is great for gardeners.

But, if you are looking for a sauce workhorse tomato that has a nice disease resistance package, produces very well, and has excellent fruit qualities, the variety Pozzano (from Enza Zaden) is better than anything similar we have tried.
Old December 15, 2015   #330
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Johnny's carries Pozzano.

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-8859-pozzano.aspx
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote