Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 10, 2014   #301
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

Ray: If I understand it correctly, the EZFertigation system can be used with drip irrigation systems. It looks like it attaches to the hose bib. I have the Dramm siphon jet and have tried to use TTF with that but it does not work. I am wondering if the siphon jet is missing something.
Farmette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2014   #302
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

I am using it with the EarthBox' AWS, but I can't see a reason it would not work in a drip irrigation setup. Just make sure to dilute the TTF to no more than 6 oz. per EZ Flo filling.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2014   #303
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Ray!
Farmette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2014   #304
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootLoops View Post
thanks for the tip i've never gotten them to grow before. i'll get more seeds so i can start some in the new beds i'm working on! how frost tolerant are they? it got down in the teens a lot last winter
Carrots can take a pretty hard freeze. I have never lost any to freezing but I'm sure there must be a point where they will be killed. I usually cover mine if the temps are getting into the low 20s just to be safe. Years ago before I figured out how to make the hoops that I use today I never covered them and can't remember ever losing any to freezes but we rarely get below 25 degrees in the winter here. Last year was an exception with it getting down to 13 which was cold enough to kill a some of my covered crops like broccoli but not the carrots.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2014   #305
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

thanks Bill that's good to know, i'll have hoops up and whatnot by then i'm sure
RootLoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2014   #306
Okijames
Tomatovillian™

Default TTF wicking effectively in Earthboxes?

In wicking up from the bottom of an Earthbox, does the grow media (I'm using Promix HP if that matters) filter/block some TTF nutrients from reaching plant roots?
Okijames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2014   #307
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okijames View Post
In wicking up from the bottom of an Earthbox, does the grow media (I'm using Promix HP if that matters) filter/block some TTF nutrients from reaching plant roots?
Properly diluted, you will not have any issues with TTF wicking up.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2014   #308
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmette View Post
Ray: If I understand it correctly, the EZFertigation system can be used with drip irrigation systems. It looks like it attaches to the hose bib. I have the Dramm siphon jet and have tried to use TTF with that but it does not work. I am wondering if the siphon jet is missing something.
With the drip you may not have tbe volume and velocity of water flow to make the low pressure it requires for the siphon jet to work.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2014   #309
Okijames
Tomatovillian™

Thanks James.
Old November 23, 2014   #310
Okijames
Tomatovillian™

Default Earthbox and Promix as analog for hydro basket and rockwool?

Since TTF is meant for hydro systems with rockwool, is it reasonable treat peat based planter mix (Promix-HP) as a rockwool analog and consider...

1: Using TTF as the only fertilizer in an Earthbox, or should I still use a fert strip?
2: Going without dolomite or is it still necessary?
Old November 23, 2014   #311
tnpeppers
Tomatovillian™

I prep the Earth Box as usual; and when the plants start to produce fruit, I pour a twenty-ounce bottle of 'formula' down the watering tube on each box. ('Formula' being the solution prepared per instructions on TTF container...1 oz. of TTF per gallon of water, I believe.) Production was beyond ridiculous again this year...the only two seasons I used TTF. Draw your own conclusions.
tnpeppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2014   #312
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Tnpeppers - I take that to mean no lime? Draw the conclusion for us! no lime needed?
I have now used TTF in Earthtainers:
one season - no fert strip with lime.
one season- fert strip with lime. TTF was a supplement.
Both ways ran fine.
Hadn't considered not using lime.
Raybo and others have test driven it now too, would love to see some more posted results.
Old November 23, 2014   #313
tnpeppers
Tomatovillian™

'Prep the Earth Box as usual' means I followed the standard EB instructions; including 2 cups of dolomitic lime mixed in to the top portion of the mix...fertilizer strip, dolomitic lime, and the TTF as indicated when fruit starts. I see a significant difference in production with the TTF...of course; your mileage may vary.

Maybe I'll roll the dice and throw in some of Urban Farm's vegetable formula after I plant in the Earth Box next year.
Old November 24, 2014   #314
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

TnP- thanks for the follow up!
Old November 24, 2014   #315
tnpeppers
Tomatovillian™

Happy to help!