Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 28, 2017   #286
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
Have someone you trust to call in for you, a family member. And apply for FEMA money now too. They will start sending out checks/direct deposit in a day or two and it's the same thing. early caller gets the cash.
Where do I apply for that? I looked online but I can't find a place for it. Thanks for the help.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2017   #287
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Got hold of TWIA and Flood insurance and started claims(See I don't give up Salt)

I guess I should call the car insurance company but I don't know if they cover for Hurricane or if it goes through windstorm. I am so ignorant of this whole thing. We have never been through a hurricane.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old August 28, 2017   #288
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
Where do I apply for that? I looked online but I can't find a place for it. Thanks for the help.
I looked for it too and didn't find it. It should be coming soon. Apply for everything available when you hear about it.

You should be able to get Fema money to rebuild what the insurance doesn't cover, relocation allowance and a food stamp card for meals since you lost food. Don't be proud just take what they give and move on. Apply for everything even if you don't think you'll get it, you'll be surprised what they give out money for.

I'm speaking from experience, I've been through most of the major storms in the last 30 years and Fema is the biggest waste of tax dollars. Once a county is approved for assistance, everyone who applies gets it so just apply.
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2017   #289
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
I looked for it too and didn't find it. It should be coming soon. Apply for everything available when you hear about it.

You should be able to get Fema money to rebuild what the insurance doesn't cover, relocation allowance and a food stamp card for meals since you lost food. Don't be proud just take what they give and move on. Apply for everything even if you don't think you'll get it, you'll be surprised what they give out money for.

I'm speaking from experience, I've been through most of the major storms in the last 30 years and Fema is the biggest waste of tax dollars. Once a county is approved for assistance, everyone who applies gets it so just apply.
A waste of tax dollars? LOL, wait a minute, you are telling me to get help and then say they are a waste of tax dollars? You are too funny. I can't find where to apply for that but I'll keep looking.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old August 28, 2017   #290
MichelleInWASt
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
Found what I think might be the answer: https://www.disasterassistance.gov/

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2017/08/...rvey-disaster/

From the site immediately above:
"HOUSTON (CBS HOUSTON) — People affected by Hurricane Harvey and the subsequent storms in the Houston area can apply for federal assistance, the Federal Emergency Management Agency has announced.

"According to a statement from FEMA, applicants could possibly receive rental payments for temporary housing, unemployment payments, loans to cover residential losses not covered by insurance, and grants for home repairs and replacement of personal property, as well as other disaster-related needs.

"Almost 25 percent of Texans live in areas covered by the federal declaration which opened up after President Donald Trump issued a disaster declaration prior to Harvey’s landfall.

"Gov. Greg Abbott declared fifty of the state’s counties state disaster zones.

"Applicants may apply for help from FEMA by registering on the website DisasterAssistance.gov. If you do not have internet access you can call (800) 621-FEMA (3362).

"Individuals who have speech disabilities or hearing loss and use TTY should call (800) 462-7585 directly; those who use 711 or Video Relay Service should call (800) 621-3362. Both toll-free numbers will be operational from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. local time seven days a week until further notice, according to FEMA."
MichelleInWASt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2017   #291
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleInWASt View Post
Found what I think might be the answer: https://www.disasterassistance.gov/

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2017/08/...rvey-disaster/

From the site immediately above:
"HOUSTON (CBS HOUSTON) — People affected by Hurricane Harvey and the subsequent storms in the Houston area can apply for federal assistance, the Federal Emergency Management Agency has announced.

"According to a statement from FEMA, applicants could possibly receive rental payments for temporary housing, unemployment payments, loans to cover residential losses not covered by insurance, and grants for home repairs and replacement of personal property, as well as other disaster-related needs.

"Almost 25 percent of Texans live in areas covered by the federal declaration which opened up after President Donald Trump issued a disaster declaration prior to Harvey’s landfall.

"Gov. Greg Abbott declared fifty of the state’s counties state disaster zones.

"Applicants may apply for help from FEMA by registering on the website DisasterAssistance.gov. If you do not have internet access you can call (800) 621-FEMA (3362).

"Individuals who have speech disabilities or hearing loss and use TTY should call (800) 462-7585 directly; those who use 711 or Video Relay Service should call (800) 621-3362. Both toll-free numbers will be operational from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. local time seven days a week until further notice, according to FEMA."
Thanks I found that a couple minutes ago. Boy what a confusing website that is. I'll have to wade through that one.

Update: Tried the online application and it wants to know what the damages are. There is no place to say unknown at this time. So, when I called it was going to be 1 hour to get through to them. I'll try it tomorrow.

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; August 28, 2017 at 10:56 PM.
Old August 28, 2017   #292
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

On a positive note:

We have water/sewer and will head home tomorrow morning. The notice doesn't say cell service isn't available anymore so I am hoping it's all good in that area.

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; August 28, 2017 at 11:04 PM.
Old August 28, 2017   #293
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

That sounds great Rockporter. I hope your house even better than you expect.

It would be difficult for me to be away from our home for very long.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2017   #294
jillian
Tomatovillian™

That is wonderful news Rock, so happy you get to return home! Like Salt said hoping you will find only minimal damage.
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2017   #295
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

From experience, I can tell you those larger generators eat up the fuel more than smaller ones, and the higher the load on them, the faster the fuel goes. I have the same size generator, I believe it is 12,000 starting watts and 10,000 running watts if I remember correctly. My brothers smaller generator could run 24 hours on the fuel mine would blow through in 8 hours. So especially since fuel will be at a premium and you will only so much reserve on hand at one time, you are going to want to stretch it as far as possible. I am glad you re-thought the dryer thing, because I was going to mention that. You are going to want to practice energy conservation in the extreme. Keep shades down and the house as cool as possible to minimize ac use, etc. Use a grill instead of electric appliances as much as possible, etc. And last, be careful! You are going to have lots of cords snaking through the house that present fall hazards. When I was in a position to rely on a generator it was a bit of a drive and a long line to wait in to get more gas, and the closet stations were running out if they could open, so it can a real pain to get refills, if they are even available. When you do, the more you can get at one time, the better, so lots of gas cans will come in handy. By the way, call your credit card company and let them know you will be purchasing items at odd locations. When I finally found gas, my credit card turned it down because it was in an area flagged for fraud and outside my normal area of purchases. Fortunately I had several other cards and had one that did not get turned down. Banks will also not be open, so cash is very handy to have on hand, more than you probably keep on you. This really sucks, but it helps to be prepared.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2017   #296
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Thank you everyone, it will be interesting to say the least when we get close to home. I guess things are really bad out there.

Sue, yes I figured it would eat gas but we decided to get that specific generator anyway so hubby could work on the trailer and have power to it. I suppose if it gets way too hot we could hook the generator to the trailer and buy some smaller ones for the refer and freezer. The generator we purchased has the 50 amp on it to run the RV, so a win win and we have a/c if that is still working in the RV.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old August 29, 2017   #297
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

It is still nice to have a large generator, and I am sure it will come in handy. At least you have the extra power if/when you need it. I would not trade mine for a small one. Had an electrician come wire in a switch in the garage so I can run everything with one hook up. I bought the generator in 2011, had all the electrical work done, haven't needed it since. But I guess that is a good thing.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2017   #298
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

I want to make one final post before I put my computer away for the long haul. Without electricity and internet I won't have the ability to get online and connect with all of you awesome tomatovillians who made this storm easier to handle and get through.

I have said how saddened I am before, and I feel so bad for those who have lost everything and are still dealing with this awful storm. I hope and I pray they all find some solace in their lives and find it easier to move on with each day ahead of them. I know I will be doing as much as I can for my community within my ability. My neighbor is a volunteer firefighter and said he has been working 20 hour days. I hope he can get some good rest within a day or two but I have a feeling it won't be that easy for all those out there trying to make our city whole again.

There are so many people and places needing help out there across the country and I wish I could help each and everyone of those people to become whole again. I can only hope and pray for them, so that is what I will do.

My husband, bless his heart. He will be busy with all the work at our house and then he will help the community and try to return to work next week at the same time. I only hope he doesn't burn out to quickly and he can keep a positive outlook to everything ahead of him. Mostly, I pray he will stay safe during our recovery.

Thank you everyone for your great advice and encouragement during the play by play of the storm. I appreciate each and every one of you.

Signing out, I'll check back in when I have the ability to do so.

Rockporter

~Margaret Atwood~

Old August 29, 2017   #299
imp
Tomatovillian™

Be careful and all good wishes for you.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2017   #300
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I heard on the radio that some group told the folks not here in the country legally to not go to shelters.
If they did they would be rounded up.
This is one of the most irresponsible things I have heard yet out of these people.
How would you feel if you had a storm coming in and fear kept you from seeking shelter.
For me this is simply a humanitarian point of view nothing else.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote