Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 16, 2017   #286
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
Wow, that's a meaty interior for a cherry! Looks juicy without being too seedy! Nice work, ladies.
Thanks you Dee They are meaty and firm fleshed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Thanks!

Marsha, I wonder if it is a function of temperature,direct sunlight on the fruits or shade which has an effect on the amount of pink showing. Mine that showed the all over pink were deep in shade in my unruly unpruned crowded potato leaf plants in my cool coastal BC area.
we are excited about the uniqueness of this cherry too Dee and whether all over pink or marbled pink on the outside Marsha they are beautiful! I like the marbled look

KarenO.
It is gorgeous and unique. Maybe you are right about coolness and leaf cover, mine have pretty good but not deep cover.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2017   #287
imp
Tomatovillian™

So far, it looks like all three are very good and something else! Good going both of you!!
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2017   #288
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

I had the pleasure of tasting one yesterday. It was the pink one and it had great texture and was excellent!
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2017   #289
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Are you ladies going to call your different segregated lines Karma Pink, Purple, etc? What a fun project to sort out, so many variations.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2017   #290
imp
Tomatovillian™

I am going to say that I really want to try the pink with apricot flesh especially, though all 3 sound very good!

Keep up the good work, and congratulations so far on the lovely results!!
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2017   #291
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

A wide cross with an unstable parent has resulted in some interesting and unusual segregation. There's another surprise in store that Marsha will show as soon as it's ready. I am thinking about a cross with the KARMA pink that Should result in a hopefully great tasting red and a clear yellow with PL foliage as well as the more distant possibility of a gwr. I like the idea of a range of colours but only if they taste great because that's more important
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2017   #292
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
Are you ladies going to call your different segregated lines Karma Pink, Purple, etc? What a fun project to sort out, so many variations.
Yes Mark, that is how they will be named. It reflects Karen and my collaborative work. We like it.
Old January 21, 2017   #293
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
I had the pleasure of tasting one yesterday. It was the pink one and it had great texture and was excellent!
So very happy that you liked it Barb! I know you have grown and tasted many tomatoes so that compliment means a lot coming from you.
Thank you!
Karen
Old January 21, 2017   #294
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
So very happy that you liked it Barb! I know you have grown and tasted many tomatoes so that compliment means a lot coming from you.
Thank you!
Karen
Ya! I made her do it. Lol.
Old January 21, 2017   #295
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Thank you!
Karen
Old January 22, 2017   #296
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Default KARMA Purple skin, gwr flesh

Quote:
A wide cross with an unstable parent has resulted in some interesting and unusual segregation. There's another surprise in store that Marsha will show as soon as it's ready. I am thinking about a cross with the KARMA pink that Should result in a hopefully great tasting red and a clear yellow with PL foliage as well as the more distant possibility of a gwr. I like the idea of a range of colours but only if they taste great because that's more important
KarenO
Well, speaking of the possibility of a green when ripe-SURPRISE!!! This came from the F2 that was pink skin yellow flesh, but this one has a purple/brown blossom end green shoulders, and totally GWR flesh. Taste is very very good and I think will be better in a few weeks, just as our tart multiflora purple in the pot has improved to very intense sweet and acid, has that Pow! Karen, I am saving seeds of the multiflora in the pot because it's pretty close to a 9.5 for flavor.
Also, the flavor of the pink skin yellow flesh is about a 9 now, really good. It's a very large cherry as is the GWR, both bordering on saladette size.
Also shown here the KARMA Dark Pink no green shoulder,it's a rosy purple, but note the locules , I believe this one is going to segregate for a small beefsteak. The first ones on the vine were beefsteak shaped saladette sized. Flavor- superb, 9.8.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170122_173108-800x600.jpg (88.8 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg 20170122_173230-800x600.jpg (97.2 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg 20170122_173221-800x600.jpg (87.7 KB, 162 views)
Old January 22, 2017   #297
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Wow Marsha, that's pretty dang exciting!. All the great combos and most importantly superb flavors. You gals are having fun now!. Jimbo.
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2017   #298
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Wow, wow, holy sh...macaroons
They all look delicious. 10.5/10

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2017   #299
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Man alive I wish I could taste them they look great! I kept back seed from a golfball sized bicolour pink and green interior dark pink exterior like captain lucky because it was not a cherry
So to recap , we gave a pink cherry, a dark purple green shoulder cherry, a multiflora purple cherry, a yellow flesh pink or marbled pink skin large cherry/ saladette, a purple/green skin gwr interior large cherry/ saladette and a bicolour pink and green saladette with dark pink skin...
And they all taste really, really good.
Not bad for one hand crossed blossom and They need to stop segregating because we will run out of room!
Super pleased with all of them and excited to grow out the next generation this spring. Awesome job Marsha, so happy for your friendship and your work in this project. We have some exciting little tomatoes here!
KarenO
Old January 22, 2017   #300
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbotomateo View Post
Wow Marsha, that's pretty dang exciting!. All the great combos and most importantly superb flavors. You gals are having fun now!. Jimbo.
Jimbo, fun fun fun. You can't even believe how I felt when I saw the green when ripe flesh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
Wow, wow, holy sh...macaroons
They all look delicious. 10.5/10
So funny Ella!
Quote:
Man alive I wish I could taste them they look great! I kept back seed from a golfball sized bicolour pink and green interior dark pink exterior like captain lucky because it was not a cherry
So to recap , we gave a pink cherry, a dark purple green shoulder cherry, a multiflora purple cherry, a yellow flesh pink or marbled pink skin large cherry/ saladette, a purple/green skin gwr interior large cherry/ saladette and a bicolour pink and green saladette with dark pink skin...
And they all taste really, really good.
Not bad for one hand crossed blossom and They need to stop segregating because we will run out of room!
Super pleased with all of them and excited to grow out the next generation this spring. Awesome job Marsha, so happy for your friendship and your work in this project. We have some exciting little tomatoes here!
KarenO
Karen, I wish you could taste them too. They are so good. You are right about if being exciting, I almost can't even stand it, lol.