Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 4, 2008   #16
lakeshorenc
Tomatovillian™

If it's a year round camp, then I would think you have plenty of time to start your seedlings. I know alot of people in NC who do a second planting of tomatoes in early to mid June to extend their season(you would probable want to start a little earlier). I would also like to offer you some Black From Tula seeds that were sent to me as a free gift. I had already ordered BFT seeds so I don't need them. I have a new email address that is not registered here yet, it's chole401@embarqmail.com If you would like these seeds send me your address and I'll get them to you ASAP.
Theresa
lakeshorenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2008   #17
dice
Tomatovillian™

You probably want to read this Tomatoville thread:

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=437
Old February 6, 2008   #18
JimmyWu
Tomatovillian™

Hi Gang...

Thanks for the links, they will surely come in handy this season. I will browse them all and gain usefull knowledge i'm sure.

Theresa, your offer is very generous indeed. But it's not my aim to procure donations from the forum. That being said, It's quite an opening up to a newbe like myself.

Thank-You All !!!

-Jimmy
JimmyWu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2008   #19
phreddy
Tomatovillian™

Jimmy, we respect your intention not to procure donations on the forum but people here are givers, they cannot but help to offer seeds and would love you to accept.
I will be offering you quick growing tomato seed from Eastern Europe myself next year. (I am in Malaysia for the moment on my winter holiday)
However, if your problem is that you are flooded with seed donations then please say, we will not be offended.

I seem to have taken it upon myself to speak for the 'villians' and am a newbie myself - bit cheeky!

Frederick
phreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2008   #20
annecros
Tomatovillian™

Phreddy is right, many here are compulsive givers, and honestly compulsive seed collectors as well.

Saving seed, especially the fermentation process for tomato seed, is very easy. Before you know it, you will either return the favor to someone that helped you in the past, or you will find yourself paying it forward. If a kid can squish a tomato into a jar (it really is just that easy), they will be learning about preserving an important part of their cultural heritage.

If you end up with too many, just let us know to stop. Or, alternatively, offer your leftovers for a Self Addressed Stamped Envelope to other growers who may be looking for the variety you have.
annecros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2008   #21
JimmyWu
Tomatovillian™

Thank-you for the advice... As I said, it's not my intention to hawk seeds for the camp. I don't want to seem like i'm here for that purpose. I truly am enjoying the valuable information and the links that i've read so far. I read something last night about a NC mountain tomato that is very rare and was intrigued about it. I also noticed posts by a woman named Carolyn137 ??? I wonder if it's the same woman that i've read on a different garden forum in years past ? She is the tomato Queen on that forum ! It appears that she is one of many scholars on the subject of growing tomatoes. It's neat to see the bar raised on something so good to eat.

As Anne said, I work at a camp that entertains kids with life threatening illnesses. I'm their Sous Chef, and take my job very seriously. Most of our kids are at risk for food borne illness. So it's a good thing that I/we strive for nothing less than perfection. My goal down the line is to be able to grow the most produce and fruit that we possibly can. But, I'm keeping it smallish right now to be a success.
As i've said before I plan on getting the kids involved. They can learn about heritage, history and legacy just by growing heirlooms. No doubt also learning about themselves.

Growing, like cooking has become a lost art. Even though we cook camp food we take it over the top. They don't have to know that the veggies have a beurre blanc sauce on them. Or that the gravy on the roast beef is a veal stock reduction.They just know it tastes good. That is why i've started this little project to have the best produce available and get rid of the much less than par tomatoes that vendors keep dropping off in our walkins.

I met with our landscaper yesterday and I'm going to have as much land available to me as we need. We will plant tomatoes naturally, strawberries, pumpkins, watermellon and sunflowers to start. She is as excited as I am about the project.

That being said, I would gladly accept any offers for seed. The outpouring of generosity is heart warming to say the least.

I plan on making a photo log of before, during, and after pictures that I will share. Thank-You all for taking an interest in my project and kids.

-Jimmy
Old February 8, 2008   #22
dice
Tomatovillian™

I think considering the nature of your work force and
where you will be growing, you want to look particularly
for cultivars with fusarium wilt tolerance (fusarium in soil
is a chronic problem in NC). With heirloom tomatoes that
is mostly a trial-and-error process, because their tolerance
to various tomato afflictions is not documented (the exceptions
are mostly early to mid-20th century commercial cultivars
that were released as open-pollinated rather than hybrid seed,
and have since become heirlooms: Cherokee Red, Campbell 1327,
Ace 55, etc).

Fusarium tolerance in modern hybrids is usually a given. It is
denoted by the "F", "FF", or "FFF" that you seen in tomato
descriptions at commercial seed vendors. Finding any of those
with flavor that competes with the better heirlooms seems
to be difficult.

You might be able to deal with this by explaining to your
helpers that some attrition is expected and that they
should not feel bad about it when it happens, that the task
of the tomato grower is not merely to grow tomatoes but
also to find out what varieties grow well and produce well
in your particular soil and weather conditions and what
varieties are not well adapted to your local conditions.

"Not all tomatoes are created equal, in more ways than
just color and size."

Last edited by dice; February 8, 2008 at 01:14 PM. Reason: fursarium, etc
dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2008   #23
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyWu View Post
I also noticed posts by a woman named Carolyn137 ??? I wonder if it's the same woman that i've read on a different garden forum in years past ? She is the tomato Queen on that forum ! It appears that she is one of many scholars on the subject of growing tomatoes. It's neat to see the bar raised on something so good to eat.
Yes, it's the same Carolyn. Carolyn Male, author of 100 Heirloom Tomatoes for the American Garden.

Quote:
As Anne said, I work at a camp that entertains kids with life threatening illnesses. I'm their Sous Chef, and take my job very seriously. Most of our kids are at risk for food borne illness.
I think it is for these reasons that people are offering you seeds. I don't think anyone would think negatively of you for accepting seeds that are offered willingly and voluntarily. There are a lot of people here who are helpful. I've had the pleasure of meeting a few and trading seeds with them as well.

Quote:
I met with our landscaper yesterday and I'm going to have as much land available to me as we need. We will plant tomatoes naturally, strawberries, pumpkins, watermellon and sunflowers to start. She is as excited as I am about the project.
Great news and looking forward to the pictures! (Ask me if you need a place to put your photos)

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2008   #24
lakeshorenc
Tomatovillian™

Jimmy, I can only tell you what my experence has been. The heirlooms I have planted always out produced the disease resistant types. You will need to be some what proactive and watchful and expect to have insect and disease related problems, esp. in NC. My suggestion would be, grow what appeals to you and the children but be prepared to take action. Now is a good time to do research, especially if you want to go organtic. My main advice ( beside being ready when problems accure)would be to use soaker hoses, alot of mulch (we use coastal bermuda hay) and the cement reinforcement wire for cages. I know there are post at GW that show how to make them(They are fairly inexpencive and last many years).Of course you will need a good source of fertilizer and your soil will need to be ammended, we usually use Pro-Mix or peat moss that is available at Lowes or HD. Hope this is helpful. Theresa
lakeshorenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2008   #25
JimmyWu
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the sound advice gang...I'm right now gathering seed and getting ready to start trays. I'm going to use NCTomatomans method of seed starting.

Some of the plants will go into beds in the Therapy Garden that already has been amended. The bulk however, will be in raised beds as suggested by Sharon our landscaper and some of the other peeps in the forum.

I still have that urge to amend big plots of soil however . We have lots of leaves, discardable vegatable scrap and horse you-know that will start my composting project.

As for the pumpkin and melons, we're going to go the "spray and pray" route and just see what happens. Most of our attention will be focused on the tomato.

I have checked out Dr. Carolyns book and see that it's sold out as of the moment. For now, I'll wait and keep learning on the forum.

-Jimmy
Old February 13, 2008   #26
annecros
Tomatovillian™

I sent seed yesterday Jimmy. About 18 or 19 varieties, if I recall correctly. I also sent a couple of catalogs that will give you descriptions of the varieties I sent. Remember, just because it is a cherry, doesn't necessarily mean that the plant will do well in a container. Some of those cherries make monster plants! Black Cherry comes to mind.

Please do make pictures, and keep us all updated on your progress. If you run into any problems, just post them here and somebody will know the answer.

This is a good thing. Kid's love the dirt.

You should probably consider potatoes in the next stage. Kid's love digging potatoes, and they taste so much better "new" out of the garden. My climate is not conducive, and I really miss that bit from my own childhood.
annecros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2008   #27
dice
Tomatovillian™

If you want to make kids feel like successful gardeners,
have them grow some zucchini. If you can keep the
slugs and snails away from them long enough to get
going, they grow fast with huge leaves and produce
abundant harvests fairly early in the season by Southern
standards.
Old February 13, 2008   #28
JimmyWu
Tomatovillian™

Hiyas.... Thanks Anne, I look forward to receiving your mail, and potatoes are a great idea to boot ! Potatoes are very valuable and we use them a lot at camp. It makes me think we should grow some bell peppers to boot. You'll be happy to know that I have my seed trays and starting mix. One of the guys over in maintenace is rigging me a light system. I also have some "Black from Tula" sent to me by Theresa,. Thanks again Theresa ! Yes, this is a good thing. I'm
prepared for the ups and lows that will come with this project. But, I know in the end it will be very, very successful.

Dice... Funny you should mention zuccs, I made a stewed zucchini & marinara as a veggie side dish for todays staff lunch. It's a good idea, I also like to mix zuccs and squash.

Thanks !!!
-Jimmy
Old February 15, 2008   #29
tlcmd
Tomatovillian™

Suggestion:

You are in an area where TSWV is epidemic. Suggest you also plant some varieties resistant to this disease.

"If only Longstreet had followed orders......"

"Show me something more beautiful than a beautiful woman and then I'll go paint it." Alberto Vargas
tlcmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2008   #30
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

That would be Amelia and...

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote