Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 28, 2006   #16
moucheur
Tomatovillian™

I got sachet bags from Michael's craft store. They're a big chain and have locations in most metro areas. I haven't compared prices, and I forget what I paid, but I assume Michael's is cheaper than Crabtree.

Can you re-use them, or does that risk cross-pollination from the last plant?
moucheur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2006   #17
melody
Tomatovillian™

Wal mart has mesh bags in the bridal section if you're not handy with the sewing machine. The big ones (about 8"x12") are 4 dollars and change for a dozen...there's little ones too, but I didn't check the prices.

The sheer curtians are a wonderful idea...I've been bagging for years and never thought of that.
melody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2006   #18
SelfSufficient1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Can you re-use them, or does that risk cross-pollination from the last plant?
Now this I think is a good question. Anybody know?
Old March 28, 2006   #19
melody
Tomatovillian™

I just rinse mine out in a little clorox water...but figure that the pollen isn't viable anyway. If you leave the bag on till a little tomato forms, then the extra that may have drifted into the bag should be useless.

I still rinse mine out, because I don't like moving anything from plant to plant that may carry harmful elements.
melody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2006   #20
ACEHearts
Tomatovillian™

I bought some very fine organza at Wal-mart for $2/m, and I'm making bagsfor myself and a friend out of that. But then, I have an industrial sewing machine, so the sewing goes pretty fast... when I get to it!

This is my first year ever saving seeds, so I'm still trying to figure out what I need for amount of bags. Its good to know they can be reused easily!

Cindy
ACEHearts is offline   Reply With Quote