Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 16, 2007   #16
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Russian green troops:

1. Malakhitovaya Shkatulka (Emerald Casket)
2. Boloto (Bog)
3. Izumrudnoe Yabloko (Emerald Apple)

I'm growing all these varieties this year. Seeds will be available in autumn.

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2007   #17
Spatzbear
Tomatovillian™

Andrey, please post some pictures when you have ripe fruit. I'd be keen to see what they look like. And a taste report. Please?
Spatzbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2007   #18
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatoaddict View Post
Okay, I keep seeing the summertime green dwarf project.
Are there no seeds?
No seeds available as of yet unless you're participating in the dwarf project. This entails being willing to keep records and/or post your results, then send saved seeds back to Craig (NH) or Patrina (SH).

I guess you could post in the sticky in gen'l discussion to let Craig and Patrina know you'd be interested in participating next year.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showpost....1&postcount=14
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2007   #19
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatzbear View Post
Andrey, please post some pictures when you have ripe fruit. I'd be keen to see what they look like. And a taste report. Please?
No problem But you can see photoes and growing/falvor report on 2 of 3 these varieties in my thread in Photo Gallery section ( Greenies and other current tomato stuff)

I've started Izumrudnoe Yabloko (Emerald Apple) seeds a bit later than for two my other green varieties...

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Old August 16, 2007   #20
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

I would say that for those tomatoes that really popped above the pack in the F3, it may be another 1.5 years until they are available - Grub will have Summertime Green F4. He will grow out a number of them (the more the better) - now that we know what we are looking for, the goal is uniformity - of leaf shape, dwarf habit, fruit color, size, shape and flavor. He will select the best and send back to us. I and others will grow out a slew of the F5 - if it appears to be stable, it may then go to a seed company or into production otherwise (we've not worked out how to get these into the public domain) - if still variable, then the SH people will wrap up the stabilization check in the F6. So, availability sometime in 2009 is my best guess.
Old August 16, 2007   #21
tomatoaddict

Two questions:

Andrey, what shape is the tomato called Emerald Casket?

Craig, why do you sell new tomatoes to seed co? Is it for money or something else?
I'm going to have to check into this dwarf project for next year. It's so interesting.
Old August 16, 2007   #22
sliphorn
Tomatovillian™

This is my first year growing Green Giant, Moldovan Green, and Lime Green Salad. All three will be back next year because I like them that much. I've found both GG and MG to be exceptional.
sliphorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2007   #23
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Craig, why do you sell new tomatoes to seed co? Is it for money or something else?

Craig doesn't sell seeds of new varieties to seed companies any more than I do.

We GIVE them to various seed companies for trial and if they like them they list them.

This isn't about money, it's about making more available varieties that we feel should be more available since many of them are available only to SSE members who can request them from the SSE Yearbooks.

And yes, those same SSE members do pay for the seeds that they request.

But speaking now for myself, I've offered now close to 400 varieties online and asked for only an SASE and the last offer, made here, even included the newest ones I'd listed in the SSE Yearbook.

So no, it's not about money when sending seeds to certain seed compaines for trial. I don't even ask for anything back in the way of seeds they may list.

It's good enough for me if lots of others have access to Matt D' Imperio, Sarnowski Polish Plum, and others that I first listed in the SSE Yearbooks such as Neves Azorean Red, Heidi, Omar's Lebanese, Cuostralee, Large Pink Bulgarian, Soldacki, and several hundred other ones that I'm sure you're familiar with quite a few of them.

Mike Dunton at Victory Seeds tends to note his seed sources, while for the most part Linda at TGS and Glenn at Sandhill don't. Same thing with the SSE Public catalog in that sometimes the seed source is indicated, and sometimes not.

Thus for the most part no one knows all the varieties that I or anyone else have gotten to be listed commercially so that others can have a chance to enjoy them, and that also helps to preserve them as varieties.

I remember way back in the early 90's when I first was asked for seeds by some place commercial, or I wanted to sends seeds out for trial, that I asked Kent Whealey at SSE what his view on that was.

He said go for it with the same comment that having more varieties listed commercially would increase the chances of preservation as well as allowing for many more folks to have access to the seeds for personal enjoyment of the fruits.
Old August 16, 2007   #24
tomatoaddict

Thanks for the answer Carolyn,
I didn't think it was for money but wasn't sure what the purpose was. Just needed clarification. I did go and print out the sticky all about the dwarf project.
Very interesting. I will keep following it now.
Hope you're feeling better.
Terry
Old August 16, 2007   #25
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Thanks, Carolyn, for jumping in on that - I missed the question. It is an interesting one that Patrina and I have been and will continue to ponder, with respect to how to get the products of the Dwarf project "out there" for people.

There are lots of different philosophies out there on this. Some people do want to profit from either the seeds they save (through tiny seed companies, selling on ebay, etc) or the varieties they create - I have no problem with that. My main reasons for getting into the heirloom thing were to learn (boy, an understatement! so much learned, but so much more to learn), to educate (through the stuff I have on my web site, posts, garden talks that I do here and there), and to share - and now, to contribute interesting new and worthwhile varieties. I've never been concerned one bit with making a penny on this - it is a hobby, it gives me great pleasure, it keeps me sane (well, that's for all of you to judge!).

So, when Patrina and I came up with this project, we suspected that we'd eventually produce some interesting new varieties for people to grow. We are partway through the research, about to head toward the development - but then you hit an issue - if these do become somewhat popular, seed would have to be plentiful, and neither of us, nor the vast majority of the participants, are in the seed production business. So, at this point, I don't see us producing and distributing the seed. Then there is listing in the SSE and allowing it to flow out that way. It is slow - ends up having to grow exponentially - not quick enough. And, one of my strong feelings is that I would prefer that one of the big, rich, glossy seed conglomerates isn't how these get introduced (I can only imagine the price and the copy!).

So, my current feeling (and Patrina will have her views as well, which I hope she shares) is to develop these slowly, focusing on the most interesting/unique/delicious to start, pick a few really good smaller, quality conscious, and honest seed companies to do the trialling, seed increase, then introduction through their catalog or web site.

To get back to the point - we will just send the target companies a sample of seed and then stand back and watch it make its way to a catalog. We are developing open pollinated, stable varieties - who knows, if people think they are good enough, they will survive, and in 50, 60, 80 years they will be considered heirlooms! That's enough for me - much more satisfying than $$$$.

And to reiterate the goal in all of this - to provide the increasing population of people who garden on driveways, decks, patios, etc, and like to grow things in pots with varieties that are every bit as good, colorful, interesting, and varied as some of the great indeterminates we all grow and discuss here.
Old August 16, 2007   #26
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Terry, if you come to the tomato tastefest in Grand Island NY September 8th I have many of the greens mentioned... Lime Green Salad, Green Grape, Cherokee Green, Grub's Mystery Green, Green Giant, Aunt Ruby's, etc.

I was even thinking of donating many different varieties, all colors & sizes, as door prizes or maybe even enough for all that attend...
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2007   #27
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatoaddict View Post
Two questions:

Andrey, what shape is the tomato called Emerald Casket?

I'm going to have to check into this dwarf project for next year. It's so interesting.
Malakhitovaya Shkatulka (Emerald Casket) has got common flattened fruits
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aug07 006 Malakhitovaya Shkatulka.jpg (150.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg aug07 012 Malakhitovaya Shkatulka.jpg (121.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg aug07 034 Malakhitovaya Shkatulka.jpg (123.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg aug07 105 Malakhitovaya Shkatulka.jpg (131.4 KB, 6 views)

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Old August 16, 2007   #28
tomatoaddict

Mark, unless something very un-expected comes along, I will be there. Looking forward to trying these.
Thanks for the pics Andrey. Your tomatoes always look so beautiful.
Old August 16, 2007   #29
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, tomatoaddict

I believe they have started to look more beautiful when we've bought our first photocamera (Canon IXUS 70) in May. But on the other hand this means we won't be able to buy a new clothes during a half of year or something... Living here you often have such a choice... a good food or some new clothes, to go to the working place by car every day or a journey within our country on a holiday, a bottle of beer or a cake for the child etc. Living conditions are very different in this world especially when I think about Africa or Northern Korea...

But I'm lucky because I need only my family and vegetable gardening as a main hobby (not so expensive one here)

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR

Last edited by Andrey_BY; August 16, 2007 at 05:12 PM.
Old August 17, 2007   #30
tomatoaddict

That's so sweet Andrey. That's the way it should be for everyone. Just family and vegetables to make us happy. Of course, it would be a hard choice between a beer and a cake for your child. I'm kidding. I don't even drink beer it just made me laugh to say that.